Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > AROUND THE WORLD > Canadian Prison & Criminal Justice Topics > Canada Prisons & Jails Visitation, Phones, Packages & mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Canada Prisons & Jails Visitation, Phones, Packages & mail This forum deals with all the ins and outs of the Canadian Prison and Criminal Justice System, including Phones, Mail, Packages, and visitation.

Old 06-14-2018, 03:13 PM

Post Mandatory Funds needed?

I was told that my fiance needs mandatory money in his cantene, while serving years in the pen? does anyone know anything about it?
Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-2018, 03:27 PM
Heathen Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 3,701 Times in 1,622 Posts

Who told you that? I don't know about the system in Canada, but I seriously doubt every inmate in there has family putting money on their account. I'm sure it's much like the states where a larger percentage of inmates have no outside support.
Old 06-14-2018, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fridyrr.Likn View Post
Who told you that? I don't know about the system in Canada, but I seriously doubt every inmate in there has family putting money on their account. I'm sure it's much like the states where a larger percentage of inmates have no outside support.
my fiance just got sent to Joyceville today. He has been in and out in his early days. He said they require you to have an ongoing amount in your cantene of $80, for if there is a situation that you pass away ... I am going to try and call the institution about it. Not a good thing to be talking or asking about
Old 06-14-2018, 06:08 PM

Thanked 3,066 Times in 987 Posts

He told you that you must keep $80 in the account in case he dies? I don’t mean to sound crass but dying is probably the one thing you can do for free in prison.

I hope you get it straight with a phone call but it sounds fishy.
Old 06-14-2018, 07:30 PM

I believe he's right. You have to have $ for a body bag. Ugh.
Old 06-14-2018, 07:36 PM

Thanked 3,066 Times in 987 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckduckgoose View Post
I believe he's right. You have to have $ for a body bag. Ugh.
Oh my goodness.

I did a little google-fu and it does appear that they put a hold on some of the initial funds in an inmate account that is given to the inmate upon release. The “body bag” thing appears to be a morbid nationwide joke. I don’t see any indication that’s what it is actually intended for.

You fooled me, Canada!!
Old 06-15-2018, 12:58 PM
OnparoleinTO

Marseille is correct. There is no body bag money; that's a myth, though you hear it a lot inside.
The handling of prisoner money in Canadian prisons is ridiculously complicated. A few points:
- You don't HAVE to have money; many prisoners have only what you 'earn' as a prisoner - which is very, very little. However without money you can't buy stamps, treats, phone time, or anything else; you will get only what the prison gives in the way of good and other things.
- If you do have your own money, they do keep a minimum of $80 that you can't spend, for emergencies or your release. Many guys get out with so little money that it's very hard to live.
- You 'earn' money inside if you go to school or have a job at the rate of about $6/per day but about 40% of this is taken back for phone, 'room and board', etc. So you net about $3-4 per day, which you can use for canteen, phone, or purchasing various things. The money you earn doesn't go far...

- Prisoners have two accounts - savings and current. There are lots of rules about what money goes where and how you move money around - as I said, it's ridiculously complicated and causes lots of problems for prisoners. I'm happy to explain further if anyone wants.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to onparoleinTO For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (06-15-2018), nimuay (06-15-2018), Sarianna (06-15-2018)