Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > General Prison Talk > GPT Phones, Mail, and Visitation Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

GPT Phones, Mail, and Visitation Discussions Please post topics or discussions here that do not fit in the appropriate state or federal forums.

Old 12-26-2019, 01:03 PM

Default Visiting from overseas: looking for advice and reassurance

I hope everyone had a great Christmas!

I'm planning on visiting my penpal next year and I'm traveling from the UK. I was just wondering if anyone has any tips or stories of how their first visit went to their penpal, especially if they are overseas.

I'm really nervous and I'm planning on renting a car for the week which is also really scary although I'm probably overthinking it.

So I'm just looking for some advice and reassurance really!
Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-2019, 01:47 PM
Donation Award 

You can reach out to me if you've any questions. I do it once a year and I'm going again to visit next year and I'm from the German speaking area lol and to me it started with a first American trip for 3 weeks, being alone, different language a lot of challengens as I thought, but it went pretty well and thats why I do it now once a year. Hoping you've also planned to make a road trip. I made a lot of culture and visiting a lot of states driving, upcoming year with a few domastic flights. There are so many woth-seeing places. No idea which state you're going to visit. Upcoming year I will see up to 6 states. Visiting and than traveling. I love it lol.

Last edited by mauri23; 12-26-2019 at 01:50 PM..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mauri23 For This Useful Post:
LeaJayCro (12-26-2019), maytayah (12-26-2019), patchouli (12-26-2019)
Old 12-26-2019, 02:13 PM
Lil British Site Moderator

Thanked 11,764 Times in 4,890 Posts

I have been visiting from the Uk for years. Its always been fairly straight forward.
I always book my flights and accommodation in advance and make sure I choose the cancelleable option. You never know if there will be a lock down or your loved one will be moved at short notice.

Flights are long haul so I always book an airport hotel for the first night and collect my car in the morning. Its not a good idea to drive tired. Driving in the US is fine although most cars are automatic so if your not used to automatic cars then try and familiarize yourself before you go. You will be driving on the right side the opposite side to where we drive. Trust me you will get used to it especially as you will be on the other side of the car.

Renting a car is straight forward you can get some good deals. You will need your driving licence and a credit card and you may need to pay a deposit on your card but its normally not too much depending on the company. I use Alamo and they are pretty good.

I would recommend you use a GPS to make sure you know where you are going. Be aware of weather conditions if you are driving into the mountains there can be snow even as late as May and June.

Hotels can be expensive depending on the area, comparison sites can be a good way to get a deal. Airbnb can be a cheaper option I have found some nice cheap places and I insist on private bathroom, TV and separate entrance. If you are willing to share then some real bargains are available.

Make sure you are approved for visiting Contact the prison about special visits you should be able to have additional visits as you are travelling so far.
Make sure you check the dress code and stick to it.

Above all enjoy your visit, first visits can be amazing. I know mine was. I am now married to my former penpal. We fell in love got engaged and married in the same visiting room. I still get nervous and excited visiting now.

If I can help anymore let me know.

Who cares what they say about us? Because when I am with you I am standing with an army.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to maytayah For This Useful Post:
AnieLove56 (12-26-2019), fbopnomore (12-26-2019), LeaJayCro (12-26-2019), mauri23 (12-26-2019), patchouli (12-26-2019), Tinker8ell55 (01-09-2020)