Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > General Prison Talk > GPT Phones, Mail, and Visitation Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

GPT Phones, Mail, and Visitation Discussions Please post topics or discussions here that do not fit in the appropriate state or federal forums.

Old 02-05-2020, 02:47 AM

Angry I can't see my loved one: Falsely accused of supplying Suboxone strips

In need of advice or info!!
I met my LO while incarcerated. Our relationship evolved quickly and decided to get married. I moved from CO to VA with my child to be closer to him and go through with our plans.
When I got to VA it was Oct 28. I was able to see him for the first time on Nov 2nd. He had set up some special visitation so I could see him both visitation days. I was able to see him two weekends in a row and had everything set up and ready for our wedding date which was supposed to be Nov. 13th which was a Wednesday. However on November 7th I got a call from a special agent at the VA DOC saying he had some questions for me and wanted to meet with me and he had been doing some digging and found out I was in VA because of the marriage application I had put in. He didn't want to meet until Nov. 12th.
In order for this to make sense I need to explain that a few days before I even got to VA one of the guys in the cell next to my LO was caught with narcotics, thrown in the hole. Turns out his GF was bringing it in for him. GF which I had had contact with ONCE in my life through a text msg and completely unrelated. I had no idea what they were doing.
Well Nov 12th approaches and turns out this girl told the SA that she had been receiving her Suboxone strips from me. They showed me multiple pictures of the contraband that they caught her with and asked me multiple times if I recognized it or if I had packaged it that way. I told them that I had nothing to do with it. I truly don't have anything to do with it! Well .. the agent had me write down a statement saying that I didn't even know this person. Etc... I leave and within the hour I get a call from the warden secretary telling me that I can no longer come in and get married the next day!! And that I had been permanently banned from visiting! I was completely devastated. All because someone threw my name out there for them.
A couple weeks later my LO goes to his counselor and told him what happened. His counselor looks me up in their system and told him that she doesn't see that I was banned. She explained that what she sees is what the COs see as visitors are coming in. And also that if they did ban me I should have received a letter from the facility. When I knew this I called the warden secretary and asked her about the process and why I hadn't received a letter... This was ainly a couple weeks from the time I was called by her telling me I was banned. She said the warden himself needed to type up the letter and she'd get it on the way. Weeks go by and still no letter. I called and left multiple messages and no response. I got ahold of her once towards the end of December and she was very short with me and said she was gonna look into why I hadn't received a letter yet that she'd get back to me and hung up.... now February 2020 ia still haven't heard from her and still have received no letter. I need help as to why this happened and what I can do to get my visits back if this is a possibility. Is there a procedure the facility has to follow and they didn't?? Do I need to just wait ??? There is absolutely nothing they can accuse me of and if they are they have nothing to base this off of... Please help!!
Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-2020, 03:36 AM

Honestly there's nothing to do but wait. Visits aren't a right in prison, they are a privilege. The people in charge make the rules. Sometimes they are wrong or unfair. There isn't a whole lot you can do about it.

I'm sorry it turned out like that for you. Not being able to see someone you are in a relationship with is extremely difficult.

I haven't been able to see my boyfriend in almost a year. It is so hard. All I can tell you is to try to focus on the positive things and not negative. Hopefully things change and get better.
Old 02-06-2020, 10:17 PM
Carolina traveler

Thanked 3,690 Times in 2,513 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruiz9411 View Post
I met my LO while incarcerated. Our relationship evolved quickly and decided to get married. I moved from CO to VA with my child to be closer to him and go through with our plans.
When I got to VA it was Oct 28. I was able to see him for the first time on Nov 2nd. He had set up some special visitation so I could see him both visitation days. I was able to see him two weekends in a row and had everything set up and ready for our wedding date which was supposed to be Nov. 13th which was a Wednesday. However on November 7th I got a call from a special agent at the VA DOC saying he had some questions for me and wanted to meet with me and he had been doing some digging and found out I was in VA because of the marriage application I had put in. He didn't want to meet until Nov. 12th.
In order for this to make sense I need to explain that a few days before I even got to VA one of the guys in the cell next to my LO was caught with narcotics, thrown in the hole. Turns out his GF was bringing it in for him. GF which I had had contact with ONCE in my life through a text msg and completely unrelated. I had no idea what they were doing.
Well Nov 12th approaches and turns out this girl told the SA that she had been receiving her Suboxone strips from me. They showed me multiple pictures of the contraband that they caught her with and asked me multiple times if I recognized it or if I had packaged it that way. I told them that I had nothing to do with it. I truly don't have anything to do with it! Well .. the agent had me write down a statement saying that I didn't even know this person. Etc... I leave and within the hour I get a call from the warden secretary telling me that I can no longer come in and get married the next day!! And that I had been permanently banned from visiting! I was completely devastated. All because someone threw my name out there for them.
A couple weeks later my LO goes to his counselor and told him what happened. His counselor looks me up in their system and told him that she doesn't see that I was banned. She explained that what she sees is what the COs see as visitors are coming in. And also that if they did ban me I should have received a letter from the facility. When I knew this I called the warden secretary and asked her about the process and why I hadn't received a letter...
This was ainly a couple weeks from the time I was called by her telling me I was banned. She said the warden himself needed to type up the letter and she'd get it on the way. Weeks go by and still no letter. I called and left multiple messages and no response. I got ahold of her once towards the end of December and she was very short with me and said she was gonna look into why I hadn't received a letter yet that she'd get back to me and hung up.... now February 2020 ia still haven't heard from her and still have received no letter. I need help as to why this happened and what I can do to get my visits back if this is a possibility. Is there a procedure the facility has to follow and they didn't?? Do I need to just wait ??? There is absolutely nothing they can accuse me of and if they are they have nothing to base this off of... Please help!!

If the process of finding out you aren't the person in question and his counselor says there's nothing showing your banned (that's how I'm interpreting what you're sharing), there are no grounds to ban you unless it's something else. I want to guess it's due to the marriage that was about to take place because oddly the allegations came about around that time.

I can only speculate because I've not known of any similar situation. Here if you are told you cannot visit, you can file a request to have an investigation done and you wait for the warden to make the decision.

I hope this works out for you, it's an unfortunate situation.
patchouli (02-07-2020)
Old 02-07-2020, 10:20 AM

If you haven't received anything in writing why don't you just try visiting and see what happens?
Old 02-07-2020, 02:27 PM

Crazy that you can't find anything out me personally I would probably go and see if I could get in if you didn't get a paper saying you can't go then I don't think it will show up
Old 02-11-2020, 12:33 AM

Thank you all for your replies... And well.. I have thought about going to see if I can get in but I'm also new to the whole system... I've never been with anyone that's incarcerated before and the few times I was able to see him was the first times I've been in a facility so I didnt really know if I'd be looking for trouble trying to go after being told I'm banned. That's the last thing I need and I didn't want to complicate things more
Old 02-11-2020, 06:23 AM

You won't get in trouble by going the worst thing they will tell you is that you can't get in but in NYS if you are banned they mail you a letter to let you know that you can't go on the grounds good luck I hope everything works out for you and your loved one
The Following User Says Thank You to ambermarshall11 For This Useful Post:
patchouli (02-12-2020)
Old 02-17-2020, 04:04 AM

I'm so sorry this is happening to you. I too am new to this and when my LO and I were preparing for our wedding the coordinator tried to stir up some old business of his and create strife between us. You can imagine how ticked he was but he stressed one very important thing for me to follow while dealing with the system : GET EVERYTHING IN WRITING! I stopped talking to her on the phone and making inquiries by email and asking very specific questions requiring specific answers. Chalk this up as a learning experience and moving forward, get it in writing. Good luck.
Old 02-17-2020, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruiz9411 View Post
A couple weeks later my LO goes to his counselor and told him what happened. His counselor looks me up in their system and told him that she doesn't see that I was banned. She explained that what she sees is what the COs see as visitors are coming in. And also that if they did ban me I should have received a letter from the facility. When I knew this I called the warden secretary and asked her about the process and why I hadn't received a letter... This was ainly a couple weeks from the time I was called by her telling me I was banned. She said the warden himself needed to type up the letter and she'd get it on the way. Weeks go by and still no letter. I called and left multiple messages and no response. I got ahold of her once towards the end of December and she was very short with me and said she was gonna look into why I hadn't received a letter yet that she'd get back to me and hung up.... now February 2020 ia still haven't heard from her and still have received no letter. I need help as to why this happened and what I can do to get my visits back if this is a possibility. Is there a procedure the facility has to follow and they didn't?? Do I need to just wait ??? There is absolutely nothing they can accuse me of and if they are they have nothing to base this off of... Please help!!
I have a few questions for you
1) how did the other inmates girl know your name?
2) If you're accused of bringing in opiods how would you have gotten them without a doctor's prescription? I mean can't you clear your name just by getting a letter from your doctor advising that you've never been prescribed the drug? You have definitely been used as an escape goat for some reason.

The other question is is the assistant warden lying to you and if so what would be her motive? Too many questions not enough answers. sorry
Old 02-17-2020, 08:17 AM

Thanked 3,991 Times in 1,877 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born View Post
I have a few questions for you
1) how did the other inmates girl know your name?
2) If you're accused of bringing in opiods how would you have gotten them without a doctor's prescription? I mean can't you clear your name just by getting a letter from your doctor advising that you've never been prescribed the drug? You have definitely been used as an escape goat for some reason.

The other question is is the assistant warden lying to you and if so what would be her motive? Too many questions not enough answers. sorry
A doctor wont be able to clear here because that stuff is found easily on the street.

I agree there are a lot of unanswered questions here, but for sake of her own safety she is better not putting it all out there.

With no formal letter, I would question it. Something about everything seems off but I'm not sure what exactly
Old 02-17-2020, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onedayatatime13 View Post
A doctor wont be able to clear here because that stuff is found easily on the street.

I agree there are a lot of unanswered questions here, but for sake of her own safety she is better not putting it all out there.

With no formal letter, I would question it. Something about everything seems off but I'm not sure what exactly
I didn't know that the opioids could be obtained on the streets, I thought they were only prescribed by a physician since they're a controlled substance drug. And therefore she might be able to clear her name. I'm sorry I didn't realise my questions would have caused an issue for the OP. I wonder if she wrote a letter to the warden asking him/her to explain why she's being treated in such a manner would help? It would at least make the warden aware of an issue that he/she might not be privy to.
The Following User Says Thank You to Born For This Useful Post:
Ms Sunny (02-17-2020)
Old 02-17-2020, 08:43 AM

Thanked 3,991 Times in 1,877 Posts

Unfortunately anything prescribed or not prescribed finds it way to the streets.

Your questions didnt do any harm at all, but was explaining why she may or may not have said everything.

I hope she finds a resolution to her situation
The Following User Says Thank You to onedayatatime13 For This Useful Post:
Born (02-17-2020)
Old 02-17-2020, 07:11 PM

Thanked 1,168 Times in 529 Posts

I'm a provider and I have to tell all my patients when I write for controlled substances to be very careful with them as the street value for opioids and other narcotics is quite high.
The Following User Says Thank You to trauma4us For This Useful Post:
Ms Sunny (02-17-2020)
Old 02-17-2020, 07:43 PM

You do have recourse. Go to the head of the Department of Corrections and then, if you don't get proper answers, go to the governor's office. The system answers to people higher than the corrections officials. If you believe something wrong was done, such as you being penalized for a crime of violation that you have never been officially accused of, then you need to work it at another level. And then there is always the media... Prisons hate the light being shined on what goes on behind the wall...