Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > NEW JERSEY > New Jersey General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

New Jersey General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in New Jersey that do not fit into any other New Jersey sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 09-09-2004, 07:18 AM

Default Help - Info needed Re: 85% - No Early Release Act

My boyfriend is currently at CRAF and he's serving a 4 year sentence and he's not elligible for parole because he has to serve 85% of his sentence. He recently told me that even if he works while he's in prison they would not take time off his senctence. I just wanted to know if anyone had any information regarding that. Please let me know. THanks
Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-2004, 07:25 AM
John's Future Wife

im happy u figured it out! Im sure there will be someone in here to answer your questions shortly!

Old 09-09-2004, 07:36 AM
Taking a break

Regarding 85% aka No Early Release Act...it's true, they do not get good time off for working, taking classes or doing programs. They also do not get time off for good behavior. Also, there is no Parole Elegability, they just have to do the 85% of their sentence. My Hubby is 85% of 5 years. HUGS...Keiko

...even if things look hopeless, you have to try. I wish people would realize that. Sometimes you have to try.
-J.Hylton
Old 09-09-2004, 07:37 AM
Taking a break

Per the NJDOC FAQ Page:

Q:What is a mandatory minimum sentence, and how many Department of Corrections inmates are serving mandatory minimum terms?

A:In New Jersey, since 1979, the courts have utilized mandatory minimum sentences. This means that an offender must serve the entire mandatory portion of his or her sentence before becoming eligible for parole consideration. Mandatory minimum sentences cannot be reduced by earned credits (commutation, minimum security or work).

As of January 2003, 60 percent of all adult offenders have mandatory minimum terms. The median mandatory minimum sentence is four years. Fifteen percent of those with mandatory minimum terms have mandatory minimum sentences of 15 years or more.

...even if things look hopeless, you have to try. I wish people would realize that. Sometimes you have to try.
-J.Hylton
Old 09-09-2004, 10:22 AM

Default Info needed regarding mandatory of 85%...

My boyfriend is currently serving a 4 year sentence with a mandatory of 85%, would he still be elligble to go to a half way house or even a camp when he served part of his sentence. Please let me know
Old 09-09-2004, 10:35 AM
John's Future Wife

i think so , keiko said soemthing about when you serve 50% you become full minimum or osemthing.. id otn know ask her LOL or EGS

Old 09-09-2004, 12:17 PM
Taking a break

Quote:
Originally Posted by kim2882
My boyfriend is currently serving a 4 year sentence with a mandatory of 85%, would he still be elligble to go to a half way house or even a camp when he served part of his sentence. Please let me know
It depends on how many points they have, but my Hubby has 5 points which would make him Min Status, but he has a "over ride" on that, which means he has to serve at least 50% of his sentence before he is at "full min status".

About the halfway house stuff, I'm not really sure about that.

HUGS...Keiko

-J.Hylton
Old 09-09-2004, 01:56 PM
John's Future Wife

therer are guys in halfway hosues that have violent offenses so i wouldnt put it past them..they can only serve the last 18 months of their sentance htere..

Old 09-09-2004, 03:36 PM

My husband has to do 80% for a crime he did not commit because we had no funds available for a good lawyer.Could he be let out on medical since he has a herniated disks and servere arthrits? I have contacted other counties and they said that he never would have gooten that extreme sentence if he was in a diiferent county.His health is failing and he is 51 years old.Is there anything I can do to get him out or medical care? Thanks for your response.
Old 09-09-2004, 06:56 PM
Taking a break

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun
My husband has to do 80% for a crime he did not commit because we had no funds available for a good lawyer.Could he be let out on medical since he has a herniated disks and servere arthrits? I have contacted other counties and they said that he never would have gooten that extreme sentence if he was in a diiferent county.His health is failing and he is 51 years old.Is there anything I can do to get him out or medical care? Thanks for your response.
Hi DesertSun...is your hubby in NJ or CA? I'm confused...your location say CA? If he is indeed in CA, you might want to try the CA forum. HUGS & Good Luck...Keiko

-J.Hylton