Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > AROUND THE WORLD > Canadian Prison & Criminal Justice Topics > Canada Prisons & Jails Visitation, Phones, Packages & mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Canada Prisons & Jails Visitation, Phones, Packages & mail This forum deals with all the ins and outs of the Canadian Prison and Criminal Justice System, including Phones, Mail, Packages, and visitation.

Old 10-19-2017, 09:33 PM

Default Joyceville assessment questions

Hi all,

Does anybody know if there's a maximum amount you can send to an inmate during the assessment process?

How long it will take him to get his calling card at Joyceville? I heard they are only allowed to top up their phone card once a month. Does anybody know the date?

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-2017, 08:51 PM
OnparoleinTO

Sugarfina - He will get a phone card within days, but then the numbers have to get approved which can take weeks - or even longer. I recently hear of someone waiting 3 months at JV because the person who did the phone approvals left and was not replaced. On the other hand, sometimes it happens quite quickly. Like most things in jail, you can't tell what will happen or when.

Yes, he can only put money on his phone card once a month. Actually it's once every 4 weeks, so the date changes from month to month. It should be prominently posted in the assessment unit notice board near the main door.
Old 10-20-2017, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onparoleinTO View Post
Sugarfina - He will get a phone card within days, but then the numbers have to get approved which can take weeks - or even longer. I recently hear of someone waiting 3 months at JV because the person who did the phone approvals left and was not replaced. On the other hand, sometimes it happens quite quickly. Like most things in jail, you can't tell what will happen or when.

Yes, he can only put money on his phone card once a month. Actually it's once every 4 weeks, so the date changes from month to month. It should be prominently posted in the assessment unit notice board near the main door.
Thanks so much for the info!
Old 10-20-2017, 09:12 PM

Quote:

While he's in asssessment am I able to send photos? I know Polaroid isn't allowed but regular photos? Thanks!!
Old 10-20-2017, 09:14 PM
OnparoleinTO

There should be no problem sending him ordinary photos in a letter while he's in assessment.
Old 10-23-2017, 05:25 PM

Quote:
There should be no problem sending him ordinary photos in a letter while he's in assessment.

Hey thanks. Do you know if he misses the deadline to add money to his phone card is he able to call collect cell phones? Or only landlines collect calls until he gets his phone card? Thanks!
Old 10-23-2017, 08:18 PM
OnparoleinTO

He can always call collect, and my recollection is that he can call any phone collect from federal (unlike provincial). Collect is quite expensive though.
Old 10-23-2017, 08:52 PM

Quote:
He can always call collect, and my recollection is that he can call any phone collect from federal (unlike provincial). Collect is quite expensive though.
Do the numbers need to be approved for him to call collect? Thank you
Old 10-23-2017, 09:00 PM
OnparoleinTO

Yes, all calls from federal prisons have to be made to approved numbers.
Old 03-08-2018, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Cell phone numbers will be approved? Only for collect calls or on the calling card too? BTW thanks for all your hard work helping folks out on this Forum.
Old 06-14-2018, 12:28 PM

Default new to Joyceville

Hello, I am new on here. This site is great!

My fiance was sent to JAU today can anyone give me information on what all I am able to send with his tv? And any other info, such as application processing time?

Last edited by D.F.L.2017; 06-14-2018 at 12:43 PM..
Old 06-14-2018, 12:47 PM

check out the other JAU threads for more info

what all I am able to send with his tv -- When we sent in the TV, we also stuffed workout gear in to the box -- couple of pairs of shorts, dri-fit t-shirts, socks and running shoes.

(visitor) application processing time -- about 4 weeks

I'd also recommend getting a trappcall line until he gets his calling card organized. (Probably not til second week in July.) With a trappcall line he can call collect and you won't get charged per minute. You can also forward the trappcall line to a cell number.
The Following User Says Thank You to duckduckgoose For This Useful Post:
D.F.L.2017 (06-14-2018)
Old 06-14-2018, 12:49 PM
OnparoleinTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckduckgoose View Post
Cell phone numbers will be approved? Only for collect calls or on the calling card too? BTW thanks for all your hard work helping folks out on this Forum.

Thanks for the kind words - it's my pleasure to try to be helpful. Yes, cell phone numbers will get approved in federal both for collect and the calling card (it's the same list of numbers). As mentioned by others, it can take a few weeks and someone has to be home during the day when they call to confirm your number and that you are willing to accept calls from this person.
Old 06-14-2018, 12:54 PM
OnparoleinTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.F.L.2017 View Post
Hello, I am new on here. This site is great!

My fiance was sent to JAU today can anyone give me information on what all I am able to send with his tv? And any other info, such as application processing time?

Most of the stuff you can send will come when he's moved to his home institution, likely in about 3-4 months depending on his sentence and whether he has to do a program of some kind. It can take several weeks to get the TV to him depending on how hard the security people want to work when it arrives at the jail. You can find a list of approved possessions for federal prisoners on the CSC website - http://205.193.117.157/acts-and-regu...2-cd-eng.shtml. The actual list is near the end of this document.

It's also worth getting a fan with his TV and the AU can be very hot in the summer.
The Following User Says Thank You to onparoleinTO For This Useful Post:
D.F.L.2017 (06-14-2018)
Old 06-14-2018, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckduckgoose View Post
check out the other JAU threads for more info

what all I am able to send with his tv -- When we sent in the TV, we also stuffed workout gear in to the box -- couple of pairs of shorts, dri-fit t-shirts, socks and running shoes.

(visitor) application processing time -- about 4 weeks

I'd also recommend getting a trappcall line until he gets his calling card organized. (Probably not til second week in July.) With a trappcall line he can call collect and you won't get charged per minute. You can also forward the trappcall line to a cell number.
Thank you!. Am I able to send hair cutting kit and radio along with the tv?. I tried calling JAU but wasn't sucessfull in getting any answers.
Old 06-15-2018, 12:50 PM
OnparoleinTO

I would be surprised if you can send anything into the AU along with the TV. I'm surprised that they allowed the workout gear that Duckduck reports - though they do allow you eventually to get/keep things you had with you when you went in - which is why it's good to have some things with you at a sentencing hearing. On the other hand, as usual with CSC, there are the rules and then there is what actually happens, which can depend a lot on which particular CO (guard) happens to be handling something. One of the most difficult aspects of the system is how arbitrary it is.