Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > AROUND THE WORLD > Canadian Prison & Criminal Justice Topics > Canada Prisons & Jails Visitation, Phones, Packages & mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Canada Prisons & Jails Visitation, Phones, Packages & mail This forum deals with all the ins and outs of the Canadian Prison and Criminal Justice System, including Phones, Mail, Packages, and visitation.

Old 02-13-2015, 12:19 AM

Default Lindsay jail: what to expect, visiting hours & so forth

Hi. I am looking for info on Lindsay jail, Ontario Canada? My son (he's 21). Will be going there March 11th following his sentence hearing.

Just wondering what to expect, visiting hours & so forth. Also, from Pickering Ontario how long a drive it is.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-2015, 08:58 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 20,498 Times in 11,922 Posts

Welcome to Prison Talk. Look for answers to your questions from other members who know how that jail/prison system operate in the Canadian Prison forums.
http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=76
Old 02-19-2015, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymur View Post
Hi. I am looking for info on Lindsay jail, Ontario Canada? My son (he's 21). Will be going there March 11th following his sentence hearing.

Just wondering what to expect, visiting hours & so forth. Also, from Pickering Ontario how long a drive it is.

Thanks!
Hey there, my brother as well went in today. I am so heartbroken, ironic to say but he is a good kid. I was wondering if carpooling is available with you?
I am 25, female.

Also check this existing thread that gave me a lot of info and scare as well. It won't let me post links so search the title Looking for any info on Central East Correctional Centre. Its on this website as well.
I believe the drive is around 1h30 mins. Hope that helps
Old 02-20-2015, 06:35 PM

Hi,

Sorry to hear that. Will he be there long? No problem for joining us for the drive. Where would you be coming from?

It's a scary thing especially when not sure what to expect. Not sure if reading the posts is a good thing or not. The whole thing is overwhelming.

Thanks for replying to my query
Old 02-20-2015, 07:52 PM

Hey there,

thanks for the reply. I believe he will be in for 8 months but 6 if on good behavior. Which I am hoping he does, he's pretty quiet and keeps to himself.
I live by DVP and Donmills but I can meet you anywhere that is convenient to you :-)
Oh and do you know what type of ID is required for me to enter the prison?

Thank you
Old 02-21-2015, 09:20 AM

I'm not sure wot I'd is needed but would be picture I sure. Like driver lic or passport. I will be calling prior to march 11 to find out. Depending on my shift at work we would be goin either the sat or sun. We can figure something out for meeting you. I used to live in that area too.
Old 02-22-2015, 01:03 AM

You will need one piece of photo ID (health card works). You'll go in, show your ID (they hold it till you get back), they give you a visitor card to clip on your clothes and a key for a locker to bringbyour stuf . Don't bring phones etc. If bringing cash for canteen do that whrnbyiu give ID. Then you line up at door by locker . One at a time you go in a room, in go through metal detector. They tell you how to get to the visit room for your family members pod. Its all well marked and I didn't get lost (worried I would lol). Call before going. Lindsay has the most lockdowns. My hubby hates this jail the most. Currently there is many lockdowns and mail issues. I write everyday but he is getting like 3 a week. Keep strong and write often if you can. On the plus side I was able to hear through the phone well. (Visits are through glass).
Old 02-22-2015, 05:18 PM

Thanks a lot for the info. Sorry to hear bout the lockdowns. I' l make sure I call ahead,

Thanks again
Old 02-25-2015, 03:33 AM

Hi Jaymur, my hub was there for just a short time when being transferred to another spot. There are quite a few lockdowns for sure and he wasn't fond of the food. I see someone else has told you what to expect when you arrive - I do have to say that I never had any issues with the guards/staff. All friendly, although I limited my discussions with them. Same comment from my hub. My hub said there were lockdowns due to short staff issues or due to the potential correctional services worker strike in Ontario. I don't know what\s happening with that right now as it has been kept very quiet. But remember to take your one piece of photo id, arrive a bit early for the visits as they usually start moving the line a bit early. The visits are limited to 2 per week and for 20 minutes each. All closed (through glass and on the phone). Tell your son to keep his head down and out of trouble and he will be fine. Canteen money needs to be given in at the start and the max is I think $240 and they can only spend a certain amount per week.
All the best.
Old 02-25-2015, 03:39 AM

Sorry forgot a few items - so i'm in the same general area as you. The best route is 401 to 115 and then switch to highway 11. Careful not to miss the exist from 115 to highway 11 - it sneaks up fast. Also watch for speed traps they are all along 115 and 11. Unfortunately highway 115 and 11 are limited to around 80-90kms or less in some areas so it does take a bit of time to get there. 1.5 hrs is about right for winter also. All the visits are from the same entrance and for the same time limits so if you can car pool its a great opportunity. And by the way - collect calls from there are like a $1/minute - when my hub moved to a federal spot it dropped to 30 cents a minute until his phone card was approved.
Old 02-25-2015, 05:26 PM

Thank you so much for that information. That helps a lot. It's a scary thought but it is what it is.

Would you know, does he (my son) have to add a list of people for visits or would we just go?

Thanks again you've been really helpful
Old 02-25-2015, 09:06 PM

You are most welcome. No up in Lindsay he won't have to add you to a list for visits. They will ask you at the desk what your relationship is to him - that's all. I haven't heard of anyone being turned away and certainly not when you are his mom.

If he is just going there for a holding period and then moving to federal - that is different. If that might be the case, unfortunately I can explain that process also. You are right it is scary - but I expect your son is going to be really happy that you are supporting him. Will give him drive to get things straightened out and hopefully he will push hard to keep out of trouble. Is when there is no support left that things seem to go downhill. so good for you when sticking around when the going gets tough.
Old 02-25-2015, 10:27 PM

Hi,

Thanks for the info. And thank you for your words of encouragement. He won't be going anywhere else. Lindsay it is.

I hope your hubby hasn't been moved too much further away & it's easy enough for you to get to visit him.

Can't be easy for you goin to see him locked up. I'm really dreading that part. Feel kinda helpless. It's like everything is out of your control & that's hard to get used to.

Anyway, thanks again I really appreciate that you got back to me, the info makes it a little less intimidating.

I might throw the odd question at you if you don't mind & if you ever feel like venting please feel free.

I don't know much at all about the prison system but I know how to listen.

Cheers!
The Following User Says Thank You to Jaymur For This Useful Post:
footforward (02-26-2015)
Old 02-26-2015, 10:54 PM

Wink

Jaymur - send your questions anytime. I've found these forums to be extremely helpful. six or so months ago, I knew nothing and was just soaking up info. Now I feel as if I can help others with what I have learned. Lots of times, I have actually phoned the prison and just told them upfront that I have never been in this situation before and would like some help. Everyone I have talked to has actually been pretty great. I think the majority of them really do want families to stick with their loved ones. If you get someone who is going to be a jerk (I've seen it but not directed towards me), just let it go. I did see one person at Lindsay at reception treating a visitor in a terrible way. But only once. Happy to help in any way that I can. If you need to reach me direct you can send a private chat also. I did it once, will need to figure out how again.

But I would say that everyone on this site is really great and looking to support one another. So hang in there. Have to keep a positive perspective.
Old 01-30-2018, 04:55 PM

Default What to expect

Hi I am new to all of this as is my son he will be transferred from Maplehurst to Lindsay in the next few weeks. He has been warned by inmates at Maplehurst that Lindsay is the worst jail in Ontario. Is any if this true and if so, how can I advise him of what to do and not do. Your input and knowledge is much appreciated.
Old 06-21-2018, 09:54 AM

Default Looking to Carpool to Lindsay

Hi There. I'm in Toronto, No licence, No car, but I can help out with gas, I've been told I'm an awesome co pilot.