Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Prison Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal Prison Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Use this forum to discuss Federal prison Visitation info & issues, Phones, Packages & Mail issues & topics.

Old 10-02-2020, 04:42 PM
MissAttorney2Be

Question How Long till they can call???

Hello...My man was moved to BOP on 9/16, i was under the impressionhe was quarantined for 2 weeks but i still havent heard from him!

How long before he is able to call me?? i put money on his books i hope he knows he has it!
Old 10-02-2020, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffanyb View Post
Hello...My man was moved to BOP on 9/16, i was under the impressionhe was quarantined for 2 weeks but i still havent heard from him!

How long before he is able to call me?? i put money on his books i hope he knows he has it!
You could always call there to see if he's okay and nothing happened maybe the phones are down or what not
Old 10-02-2020, 06:47 PM
Site Moderator
Donation Award 

Thanked 24,082 Times in 13,808 Posts

If this was his first bop owned prison, it takes awhile for him to be allowed to use the inmate telephone system, usually about one week. He first needs to meet with hia counselor, which is not always possible, and then provide them with a list of every phone number they will be allowed to call. Then the counselor must activate those phone numbers on the prison's ITS computer, and they have to wait until their phone system pin number arrives in the mail (their pin number will never change even if they move to a different bop owned prison). Finally they must satisfy the quirky bop voice recognition technology before they can actually make a call.

As long as calls are still free, he won't need to have money on his commissary account to call you (except for collect calls), but when the free calling ends is completely up to the bop to decide. The timing of all of this is negatively impacted by prison lockdowns, for covid or for anything else. Until he can call you, your ability to contact him is limited to letters. Some, but definitely not all, bop counselors allow new arrivals to make a short phone call home from their non ITS office phone.

You can try calling the prison to ask them to conduct a "welfare check", but very few calls result in having anyone care enough to even answer them. Sometimes a Chaplain will be helpful if the other bop staff members will not. Unfortunately that's how the bop operates, so try not to get upset when that happens.

Last edited by fbopnomore; 10-02-2020 at 06:50 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fbopnomore For This Useful Post:
AyaStar (10-03-2020), YOGA62 (10-02-2020)
Old 10-02-2020, 07:06 PM
Donation Award 

Default Wait Time

When my son was sent to his first BOP owned prison, in July, I waited over 3 weeks to receive a call. He was in quarantine. He could write letters and receive letters. Currently he has free phone minutes. Well he did until Oct 1. Not sure if it is carrying over into October, but he had free 500 minutes per month, however, his prison, Florence FCI is constantly locked down for long periods when inmates fight. They just got off a 9-day entire lock down. Only allowed out every 3-5 days for a brief shower. No exercise, no phones, eating in their cells.

Hopefully, you will hear soon. All letters need to be on white paper and white envelopes only. No photos. Photos only sent from companies like FREE PRINTS. 25 photos max per shipment.

I put money on my son's account right away using Western Union. He arrived on a Saturday and has access to funds on Tuesday. I did the wire paying over the phone, second time online. He was only allowed to buy a couple of items on the Commissary list while in quarantine. Now he can buy all the items. I am sending monthly money. The prison food is bad, and he buys other foods on Commissary, canned fish, nuts, vitamins, etc. Best wishes.

Quote:

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to YOGA62 For This Useful Post:
AyaStar (10-03-2020), fbopnomore (10-02-2020)
Old 10-02-2020, 07:45 PM
Donation Award 

Most places are in quarantine 21 days. 7 days for testing as results then 14 for the standard quarantine.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to His_Queen13 For This Useful Post:
AyaStar (10-03-2020), fbopnomore (10-02-2020)
Old 10-03-2020, 07:49 PM

Quote:

Write to him, and ask him to write back to let you know that he's ok. maybe order him some books form Amazon.
The Following User Says Thank You to AyaStar For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (10-05-2020)