Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Bureau of Prisons Covid -19 (Corona Virus) news & information.
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal Bureau of Prisons Covid -19 (Corona Virus) news & information. Please use this forum to share information concerning Covid -19 in the Federal Prison System. Please do not discuss individuals who have the virus.

Old 06-20-2020, 02:12 PM

Default When will visitation be reinstated for BOP facilities? Update: October!

Wondering if anyone knows when the visitation will resume for fbop safford az

have not seen our son since august
any information knowing when possible visitation will resume or how do i get a visit ?????
Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-2020, 04:04 PM
Site Moderator
Donation Award 

Thanked 24,062 Times in 13,801 Posts

The FCI Safford web page still hasn't updated the "all visitation is cancelled" banner that is posted on every bop owned prison's page ever since the "nation/system-wide lockdown" went into effect on June 1. The cancelled visits everywhere in the bop went into effect on April 5 because of the Covid 19 pandemic, so that is the last time visits actually happened.
https://www.bop.gov/locations/institutions/saf/

The only information I can find about when normal operations may resume is this:

RESUMPTION OF NORMAL OPERATIONS IN ACCORDANCE WITH CONTRACTUAL SPECIFICATIONS:

 It is the expectation that after 90 days in phase three (no specifics about when phase 3 will,or may begin) all RRC/HC operations will resume in accordance with the established contract requirements.
https://www.bop.gov/coronavirus/docs...operations.pdf

Last edited by fbopnomore; 06-20-2020 at 04:09 PM..
Old 06-20-2020, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbopnomore View Post
The FCI Safford web page still hasn't updated the "all visitation is cancelled" banner that is posted on every bop owned prison's page ever since the "nation/system-wide lockdown" went into effect on June 1. The cancelled visits everywhere in the bop went into effect on April 5 because of the Covid 19 pandemic, so that is the last time visits actually happened.
https://www.bop.gov/locations/institutions/saf/

The only information I can find about when normal operations may resume is this:

RESUMPTION OF NORMAL OPERATIONS IN ACCORDANCE WITH CONTRACTUAL SPECIFICATIONS:

 It is the expectation that after 90 days in phase three (no specifics about when phase 3 will,or may begin) all RRC/HC operations will resume in accordance with the established contract requirements.
https://www.bop.gov/coronavirus/docs...operations.pdf
Actually those banners have been there since about the second week of March due to COVID.

Rumor is that the BOP is not expected to open visitation back up until the first of the year... but no one knows for sure as aside from that there hasn't been much scuttlebutt surrounding visitations being re-instated. At my husband's facility they were saying at one point that they were planning to move people back to their old units on the 22nd (in two days) but at last word they were told it'll likely be at least another six weeks for that. And I don't suspect that visitation will resume until that time as it will cause even more confusion.

And to the OP... until they start allowing visitation, you won't be able to go. I have heard through a reliable source that they are allegedly working on video visits but who knows how or when that will happen. When they do open up, you can probably at the very least expect shorter visit times because they will be over crowded with people coming in but also probably expect social distancing restrictions as well.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Girl22472 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (06-21-2020), nene_510 (08-26-2020), Taliba00 (06-28-2020)
Old 06-21-2020, 03:41 PM

My inmate penpal told me that he heard the "modified lockdown" is probably going to be for the rest of this year...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to carm2405 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (06-21-2020), MsFish (06-28-2020)
Old 06-21-2020, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carm2405 View Post
My inmate penpal told me that he heard the "modified lockdown" is probably going to be for the rest of this year...
All I have heard, from my LO (at FCI Seagoville), is that there has been some talk about upgrading to video visits. He said that Seagoville doesn't have that capability right now. I would hope the BOP would send IT personnel, into un-equipped facilities, to get this going!
My feelings (as I've told my LO) is that "if my not seeing you, means you stay safe, then I am okay with no visitations!" All Seagoville needs (only 1 "inmate" case and 2 "staff" cases), is to open up visits and some unsuspecting asymptomatic visitor brings the virus onto the compound!
And, I'll tell you, that first hug (when visits resume) is going to be the sweetest ever! It may last a bit longer lol!
Just my 2 cents!
nene_510 (08-26-2020)
Old 06-21-2020, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John M View Post
All I have heard, from my LO (at FCI Seagoville), is that there has been some talk about upgrading to video visits. He said that Seagoville doesn't have that capability right now. I would hope the BOP would send IT personnel, into un-equipped facilities, to get this going!
My feelings (as I've told my LO) is that "if my not seeing you, means you stay safe, then I am okay with no visitations!" All Seagoville needs (only 1 "inmate" case and 2 "staff" cases), is to open up visits and some unsuspecting asymptomatic visitor brings the virus onto the compound!
And, I'll tell you, that first hug (when visits resume) is going to be the sweetest ever! It may last a bit longer lol!
Just my 2 cents!
I have been told my an associate through FAMM privately that the BOP is working on getting video visits at all of the facilities. I was told this privately because when I mentioned something about it publicly I was SLAMMED with people being pissed about it vowing to fight against them...lol so she didn't want to cause more of an uproar than needed as they try to keep things calm over there. People are overly fearful that if video visits are made available that the BOP will do away with in person visits which is not what they have done in the female facilities that have it, but that is the ongoing belief.
The Following User Says Thank You to Girl22472 For This Useful Post:
Taliba00 (06-28-2020)
Old 06-22-2020, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl22472 View Post
I have been told my an associate through FAMM privately that the BOP is working on getting video visits at all of the facilities. I was told this privately because when I mentioned something about it publicly I was SLAMMED with people being pissed about it vowing to fight against them...lol so she didn't want to cause more of an uproar than needed as they try to keep things calm over there. People are overly fearful that if video visits are made available that the BOP will do away with in person visits which is not what they have done in the female facilities that have it, but that is the ongoing belief.
I can see how some might fear the loss of in person visits. I'm fairly certain the uprising, if they banned in person visits, would be swift and decisive! Shoot, the prisons have lost thousands in vending machine revenue already. I would be interested in knowing, given the cost of items, how much profit they make?
Guru03 (07-14-2020)
Old 06-22-2020, 12:15 PM

Quote:
I can see how some might fear the loss of in person visits. I'm fairly certain the uprising, if they banned in person visits, would be swift and decisive! Shoot, the prisons have lost thousands in vending machine revenue already. I would be interested in knowing, given the cost of items, how much profit they make?
Oh yeah between that... the phone calls and less commissary they are surely losing money. But that is a good point about the vending machines making them money. Then again if they did not have in person visits I would think they would need fewer guards so I guess it could be a win/win for them. I just don't see federal stopping all in person visits. But, for me I wanted them long before this COVID stuff anyway. I'm six hours away so I was only making trips every 4 months. Now I'm not working so I don't have the funds coming in that I did and I would much rather give him money for commissary and see him through my computer or phone screen than not at all.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Girl22472 For This Useful Post:
BeccaRose65 (07-05-2020), Born (06-22-2020), fbopnomore (06-22-2020), Guru03 (07-14-2020), Taliba00 (06-28-2020)
Old 06-22-2020, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Oh yeah between that... the phone calls and less commissary they are surely losing money. But that is a good point about the vending machines making them money. Then again if they did not have in person visits I would think they would need fewer guards so I guess it could be a win/win for them. I just don't see federal stopping all in person visits. But, for me I wanted them long before this COVID stuff anyway. I'm six hours away so I was only making trips every 4 months. Now I'm not working so I don't have the funds coming in that I did and I would much rather give him money for commissary and see him through my computer or phone screen than not at all.
Totally understand. There are as many reasons, for and against, as there are people involved in the prison system. As long as our Loved Ones stay safe I'm fine with their decisions.
Girl22472 (06-22-2020)
Old 06-22-2020, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Totally understand. There are as many reasons, for and against, as there are people involved in the prison system. As long as our Loved Ones stay safe I'm fine with their decisions.
I agree. I just went down in February literally like a week and a half before they locked down so this month I would be headed again. Not only has it seemed to go fairly fast but I'm glad not to have the anxiety that accompanies a visit! There's always the stress of finances.... fear of vehicle issues, making sure my clothes are spic and span and aren't "offensive"... the packing the drive, everything.
The Following User Says Thank You to Girl22472 For This Useful Post:
Guru03 (07-14-2020)
Old 06-22-2020, 06:08 PM
Owned
Donation Award 

Thanked 4,617 Times in 2,087 Posts

Quote:
I agree. I just went down in February literally like a week and a half before they locked down so this month I would be headed again. Not only has it seemed to go fairly fast but I'm glad not to have the anxiety that accompanies a visit! There's always the stress of finances.... fear of vehicle issues, making sure my clothes are spic and span and aren't "offensive"... the packing the drive, everything.

I HATED getting visits!
fbopnomore (06-23-2020)
Old 06-22-2020, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by safran View Post
I HATED getting visits!
Is that because of the searches before and after? I don't know if he just got lucky but I left a few hours before the end of visitation once and his strip search was not as extensive.
Old 06-23-2020, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Is that because of the searches before and after? I don't know if he just got lucky but I left a few hours before the end of visitation once and his strip search was not as extensive.
I always feel bad, for my LO, because of having to get up earlier on visitation days. I would joke "Make sure to get some extra rest 'cause I'm coming to rob you of some!" However, as I told him, this is the only chance I have to SEE how you're doing! In phone calls he can "gloss over" his condition. This way, I can see, for myself, how he's doing!

Last edited by John M; 06-23-2020 at 07:08 AM.. Reason: Grammar
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to John M For This Useful Post:
AyaStar (08-26-2020), BeccaRose65 (07-05-2020), Bsbspouse (06-26-2020)
Old 08-26-2020, 07:08 PM

Has anyone heard anything (grapevine or otherwise) about visits being reinstated in September? My LO says rumor has it that it might happen.
Old 08-26-2020, 07:37 PM

Haven't heard about visits, but commissary spending limits might go back up. many facilities had decreased that amount since March.
Old 08-27-2020, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taliba00 View Post
Has anyone heard anything (grapevine or otherwise) about visits being reinstated in September? My LO says rumor has it that it might happen.
If you are referring to state facilities, yes, i've read on The Marshall Project that some states have partially restored visitation.

Any one heard about Federal facilities?
Old 08-27-2020, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyaStar View Post
If you are referring to state facilities, yes, i've read on The Marshall Project that some states have partially restored visitation.

Any one heard about Federal facilities?
No, my LO is in the feds. I don't know where he heard the rumor, and the rumor mill can be misleading, but of course I jumped all over it anyway because it's been soooo long for us.
The Following User Says Thank You to Taliba00 For This Useful Post:
AyaStar (08-28-2020)
Old 08-28-2020, 08:26 AM

https://www.themarshallproject.org/2...to-coronavirus

According to this tracker, the federal system (US on the map) has not restored visitation. The tracker is updated about once a week.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AyaStar For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (08-28-2020), Taliba00 (08-28-2020)
Old 08-30-2020, 09:45 AM

Hey, I have an inmate that is located in FCI Butner Low. I sent off my first letter to him weeks ago, and haven't got a response back yet. I am worried, since the news is saying that FCI Butner Low has had bad cases of covid-19. I am not even sure if that place is on lockdown, as they are very slow with mail during that. Their website does say that they have cancelled in person visits due to the pandemic. Anyone have an inmate in FCI Butner Low, that is getting letters...?
Old 08-30-2020, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rue33 View Post
Hey, I have an inmate that is located in FCI Butner Low. I sent off my first letter to him weeks ago, and haven't got a response back yet. I am worried, since the news is saying that FCI Butner Low has had bad cases of covid-19. I am not even sure if that place is on lockdown, as they are very slow with mail during that. Their website does say that they have cancelled in person visits due to the pandemic. Anyone have an inmate in FCI Butner Low, that is getting letters...?
Edit: Just called FCI Butner, and was told they are not on lockdown, so my pen pal must have gotten letters either this past week, or will be coming to him this week.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rue33 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (08-30-2020)
Old 08-30-2020, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rue33 View Post
Edit: Just called FCI Butner, and was told they are not on lockdown, so my pen pal must have gotten letters either this past week, or will be coming to him this week.
According to bop's Covid tracker, link below, Butner Low currently has 2 active Covid cases, and 645 have recovered.

About letters, with the Postal Service delays, your letter could either be delayed, or your pen pal's. Also, he would have to have writing paper, envelope and stamps to send the letters... But I do hope you hear from him soon, and, even if he hasn't been able to write back, I'm sure your letters in a difficult time like now are tremendous encouragement for him.

https://www.bop.gov/coronavirus/
The Following User Says Thank You to AyaStar For This Useful Post:
Rue33 (08-30-2020)
Old 08-30-2020, 05:01 PM

Initially, I was ok with no visitation, as I understood it was keeping my husband safe. However, after four months of lockdown, his federal facility had a major COVID outbreak. I was beside myself. All of that time spent apart, and for what? He ended up testing positive. July was an incredibly rough month. I'm at a point now, though, where I feel like the BOP, just like the rest of the world, could open things up a bit, with the proper protcols and restrictions in place. It's my understanding that New York State prisons have done exactly that.
The Following User Says Thank You to chriscos For This Useful Post:
AyaStar (08-31-2020)
Old 08-30-2020, 09:44 PM

@AyaStar

Thanks for that! This is my first inmate pen-pal. I found him on a dead inmate pen-pal website, and he wasn't really getting any hits. I was dumb and thought my first letter would reach him, but it was never sent off. The guy that ran the website abandoned it. So, my silly self mailed off three letters in case any got lost. I made sure to let him know how busy I can be, as my not writing back in time, would not become a deal breaker to him. I really hope he writes back. I happen to have a job, where I can request to stop, for a day where he is located, for visits, if they ever allow them again.

He is an inmate, that went in realizing full well what he did, and how his sentence would impact his future. I honestly don't want to remind him of that, unless he feels comfortable talking about it. He is someone, that comes off seeming like a goof and likes to crack jokes, yet has this deep thinker side to him. He has seen some interesting things, that shapes who he is. I also made sure to let him know, that I read his blog, but didn't write the title, as the mail staff can read the letters. He even went as deep to explain what he was in for, in the blog. Usually they try to hide it, in fear of retaliation, and violence, and loss of pen-pals. I think I can learn to be bare with him too. It's something I have never been able to explore before.

Last edited by Rue33; 08-30-2020 at 10:02 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rue33 For This Useful Post:
AyaStar (08-31-2020), EyesOpening (08-31-2020)
Old 08-31-2020, 07:32 AM

Thanks for your thoughtfulness and compassion. Not only your pen pal will deeply appreciate the letters, our society will do, too. Because, your actions help bring hopes into a hopeless place, and aid in rehabilitation, in turn, making the society a better place.

In our deeply flawed prison system, there is not nearly enough rehabilitation, and plenty retribution. And that, makes the society less safe. The link below is about Scandinavia's prison system, all about rehabilitation, and none about retribution...their prison population per capita is less than 10% of ours, and the society is so. much. safer!

https://www.dailyscandinavian.com/pr...n-scandinavia/
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AyaStar For This Useful Post:
EyesOpening (08-31-2020), fbopnomore (08-31-2020), Rue33 (08-31-2020)
Old 08-31-2020, 10:28 PM

@AyaStar,

You must be psychic... Today, on the morning after(no, not the tin soldier riding away, haha) yesterday, I saw on informed delivery that he actually wrote back. It sucks to be out and not able to read what he wrote right away. I told him what I do, and how busy it can make me, so he should be able to understand.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rue33 For This Useful Post:
AyaStar (09-01-2020)