Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > KANSAS Prison & Criminal Justice Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

KANSAS Prison & Criminal Justice Discussions Topics and conversations dealing with the State of Iowa - Department of Corrections, Criminal Justice System, Prisoner & Family Support, News & Information, visitation, mail, etc

Old 01-09-2011, 07:40 PM

Default Son waiting to transfer to RDU, Where?

Hi, thank you all, everyone is so caring here. It is day by day. My son is in the Johnson county detention center, sentenced to 6 1/2 years. I'm trying to read all I can from the DOC site, and thought all first go to RDU in El Dorado, but a deputy tonight said RDU can be at Hutchison, or Lansing too. Is that true? I'm not doing very well with this, as expected. He faces a hard way to go considering his unpopular charges and mental health issues. I keep having to remind myself to breath. Just cant believe it. How do you keep going?

Gina
Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2011, 11:51 PM

No, all male inmates new to the system start in El Dorado now. He'll probably spend a month or so there, then get sent to a more permanent lodging. If his mental health problems are pronounced, he'll likely go either to Larned (state hospital or correctional mental health facility) or to Lansing, which has the Treatment and Reintegration Unit (TRU).

As far as how to keep going, you just have to take it day by day; that's the only way I've found. It's a long road, and people who don't have kin in the system don't really understand. You will get frustrated, you will get upset, and you will have to find some way to protect your own health, some way to relieve the stress so you can be strong for him.
Old 01-28-2011, 10:11 PM

Its been awhile since i been to this site, but do agree with the fact EL DORADO is where he will go. And hope it will only be a month, but dont count on it, the prision systems are full. My brother was there for nine weeks due to bedding space. It is a very trying time for all involved. And then was told he was going to a min more less bootcamp and ended up at Hutchinson behind the wall because of no beds, bunked with 5 guys. I dont mean to sound so negative, but in the beginning for us it was hell. I wish you all the best, and hope your situation is different. It also depends on what kind treatment or special needs he has. Hang in there
Old 02-15-2011, 08:20 PM

My boyfriend just got sentenced 4 months in prison. He was at Sedgwick county and will be going out to RDU here soon..