Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > MICHIGAN > Michigan Prison and Legal News & Events
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Michigan Prison and Legal News & Events What is making news in Michigan relating to the prison system, the criminal justice system, etc? Find it here!

Old 04-12-2009, 06:53 AM

Default Approach to prison sentences hurts state

by Jackson Citizen Patriot

Sunday April 12, 2009, 6:28 AM

BROOKLYN -- A recent story noted the arrest of a recent parolee on a homicide charge. This incident appears to reflect a mistaken approach in governmental policy that was avoidable, but also shows the failure to adopt winning strategies.
The recently released parolee reportedly committed this murder within months of his release from prison. While Michigan officials would argue this was not an early release of a prisoner since he had served his minimum sentence, this parolee did not even serve up to the middle of his sentence.

http://www.mlive.com/opinion/jackson...ntences_h.html

Last edited by HOPE4FUTURE; 04-12-2009 at 06:54 AM..
Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-2009, 07:19 AM
miles to go b4 I sleep
Donation Award 

I knew someone somewhere would eventually say this. The public is going to base one man's stupidity, on all inmates who are being released, as a blanket statement that all prisoners should stay in prison.

Old 05-16-2009, 11:07 AM

I think if the state is so poor that they should release prisoners that are not a threat to the public on a teather, house arrest. At least then the state wouldn't have to pay for them to eat, and house them. Not all prisoners should have to do their min sentence. First time offenders should get the chance to prove themselves worthy of being out. I'm not saying don't make them do any time, but at least only make them serve half their min sentence, then let them out to prove themselves.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ljsgrumpy For This Useful Post:
Sarahloveshugs (05-18-2009), xsammi (05-24-2009)
Old 05-18-2009, 06:38 AM
I miss my boy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljsgrumpy View Post
I think if the state is so poor that they should release prisoners that are not a threat to the public on a teather, house arrest. At least then the state wouldn't have to pay for them to eat, and house them. Not all prisoners should have to do their min sentence. First time offenders should get the chance to prove themselves worthy of being out. I'm not saying don't make them do any time, but at least only make them serve half their min sentence, then let them out to prove themselves.

Agreed, 100%.

Anyone who doesnt have a loved one in prison has NO IDEA how much money the state could be saving, and how rediculous it is to keep non violent/ Non threatening offenders locked up. This just gets me so heated!!

The Following User Says Thank You to Sarahloveshugs For This Useful Post:
xsammi (05-24-2009)
Old 06-11-2009, 03:04 PM

Ok that is one person provide some facts on the ones they release that never come back and also the ones that are given probation. I'm sure you would not be so quick to comment on that group.
Old 06-12-2009, 11:29 AM

ljsgrumpy, I have to disagree with you totally. I think the opposite about letting the new inmates out early. I think the ones that have been doing years should be out first. They have done way more than their time. Let the new ones do some.
Old 06-12-2009, 12:20 PM

I agree with Hope this time. Often times it is the guys who were given excessive time who have been in long enough to make some very serious changes in their lives and in their thinking. The guys who are in for the first time for a very short sentence may need to do all of their minimum to decide they don't want to do it again. Getting out really quickly may make it easier for them to just go do whatever they did again because they only got a slap on the hand. JMO

Also, we have to be careful saying things like look at all the ones who don't go back or don't ever get in trouble again because unfortunately, the vast majority DO get in trouble again and do go back. There are certainly success stories, I consider my husband one of them, but sadly we can't honestly say that most people who have been in prison turn their lives around.
Old 06-12-2009, 02:56 PM
Donation Award 

I agree with Hope too.