Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > PRISON PEN PALS > Prison Inmate Pen-Pal Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prison Inmate Pen-Pal Talk General talk about prison pen-pals. Please do not place ads in this forum!

Old 03-01-2005, 07:13 AM
Missing my baby boy

Default How in the world...........

do you start the very first letter? I have decided to get a DR pp and have a person in mind, but I have been struggling the last couple of days trying to figure out just how to begin the first letter.

I even started one with

Goodbye,

It was nice talking to you. I figured since I was having trouble on how to start this letter maybe I would work backwords.

Of course I wadded that one up and threw it out just like the many others I started and didn't think sounded right.
2005 Club Member #9

Freedom is not worth having if it does not connote freedom to err. It passes my comprehension how human beings, be they ever so experienced and able, can delight in depriving other human beings of that precious right. --- Ghandi 1931
Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2005, 07:23 AM

I have just got a pen pal who is on DR !st letter was brief not too personal but I started off about his ad and why I chose him.......(He wasnt lookin romance). Then I just told him abit about me and finished I hope to hear from him soon..... so get the pen and paper ready and just go for it dont think too much.

Old 03-01-2005, 09:23 AM

I like your start of the letter lance'sMom. It sounds funny. You could carry on with: But now that I've started I might aswell introduce myself to you. I am Lance's Mom and I come from.............
Old 03-01-2005, 09:56 AM
~his spice 4 life~

Maybe I'm being a little too serious here, but my first thought when I read that was.....oh no, don't start a death row inmate's letter with, "Goodbye, it was nice knowing you" (or talking to you or whatever), you know? It was a clever and cute idea and I like it - except for the part about your main audience. I think after he read into it, he'd see it was just a joke to write a clever letter to break the ice. But at first glance, it may leap out at him in a not so good way. Like I said, I may be being too sensitive. (is that a phrase?? 'may be being' - ha ha)
Old 03-01-2005, 10:09 AM
Fighter....:)

i'm with ebonys spice on this one.. The fact that he's on DR and beginning a letter like that.. might throw him for a loop.. It might be okay if you knew his sense of humor- but to just jump in .. .I wouldn't advise that.

How about that you saw him online.. blah blah blah.. and then tell him where you're from and what kind of music, films, tv you like.... just surface stuff... but ask some open ended questions so he'll respond...
Old 03-01-2005, 10:58 AM
Two hearts, one love

Did you find him through a pen pal ad? If so, why not pick up on some of the things he says in there and just pick up the conversation from what he has said in the ad? I have always found that if I am myself and just talk a little about who I am, what my interests are etc, then the letter just flows and does not sound unnatural. Imagine how nervous he probably was, putting the ad together, hoping someone would want to write to him, so just relax and be yourself and I hope you both become good friends.

Together at last
Old 03-01-2005, 12:27 PM
Falling All Over Again

I agree that starting with that wouldn't be the best way to introduce yourself since you don't know what kind of sense of humor he has!

Old 03-01-2005, 12:58 PM

I started writing to 2 deathrow inmates back in November. I just sent a card letting them know i had come across there request for a penpal - then i told them a little bit about myself and asked them to write me back if they wanted to correspond with me. I got letters from both of them. Now i have two guys i consider to be good friends, one at Polunsky and the other in Parchman Mississippi. Good luck.
Old 03-01-2005, 01:39 PM

Personally I don't think there is anything wrong with letting your sense of humour shine through a little bit. Nothing too outragious but showing your personality is okay for me. I know I have a very direct tongue in cheeck way of writing that may not sit well with everybody. And as I feel that in a friendship I need to be able to be myself I explain this to future pals. It is one of those things about me. Even though I had 2 occasions where I never received a response, I do also have a few pals now that I get on with really well.

Just my 2 Eurocents..........
Old 03-01-2005, 01:44 PM
Missing my baby boy

Default thanks

thank you all for your input. As I said that was just one of many ways that I had started and then wadded up and threw out letters.

I finally was able to get one done. I just started by explaining what made me want to write and then went on to explain who and what I am. Hopefully I will hear something back, if not, well at least I tried and the next one will be much easier to start.

Dang, I should have typed it up and saved it, then I wouldn't have to remember how to start another one LOL
2005 Club Member #9

Freedom is not worth having if it does not connote freedom to err. It passes my comprehension how human beings, be they ever so experienced and able, can delight in depriving other human beings of that precious right. --- Ghandi 1931