Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > BECOMING INVOLVED > Prison Activism
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prison Activism What's going on? How to become involved.

Old 02-29-2008, 09:09 PM
Tea Party Member

Madhatter that is great!!!!!
We really do need to start this campaign, it's a good idea and I think we need to start acting on our good ideas.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-29-2008, 09:11 PM
Tea Party Member

Morris we can call it that. 21 st Century Style Boston Tea Party!!!! This is way cool!!!!!!
Doesn't take much to get me excited these days....
Old 02-29-2008, 09:16 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,999 Times in 801 Posts

This is what we need. Lets break up the members of the Senate and the Assembly and each take a block of them. We can send the same form letter to each and come up with a signature, like "Taxpayers for a fair Justice System". We can each come up with a letter and then mold them into one so they know it came from an organized group that is fed up with them. Tell them, we want action now and no more stalling and useless bills put forth until the Prison System is fixed and our laws are brought into Constitutionality. If we all take 10 to 15 legislators we can get it done easy.

Now, is it better to send the letters to Sacramento or to their district offices? My thoughts are Sacramento so they can talk to each other about the tea bags.

We should not send the tea itself. They might call us terrorists. LOL Just the bag.

What do you think?
Old 02-29-2008, 09:21 PM
Tea Party Member

YES, YES , YES.
Lets get this done, I have tea and stamps....
Old 02-29-2008, 09:21 PM
Donation Award 

Doc, I like that. In case they can't figure it out. Spell it out. LOL

OK, We have a name for our group effort.
"The 21st Century Boston Tea Party"

I will compose a letter. You guys write one to and we will cut and paste the good parts.

What do ya think?
Old 02-29-2008, 09:22 PM
Tea Party Member

P.S. We need to do it like we are united, it may make them think. We should send it more than once if need be.
Morris this is a great idea.
Old 02-29-2008, 09:23 PM
Tea Party Member

I will follow what you all say, I have to work and I have to do overtime the CEO is coming. Just give me a copy of the letter and to whom and its done.
Old 02-29-2008, 09:39 PM
Donation Award 

We have:

Judeca, Kima, Madhatter, Morris1 and Docswife. We are only 5 but we can get our point across if we all take 24 legislators. There are a total of 121.

Judeca, You get the Governor. Your idea.

Senators-using the roster online:

1. Aanestad thru McClintock Judeca
2. Migden thru Yee (plus) Assemblymembers Adams thru Beall Kima
3. Benoit thru Furutani Madhatter
4. Gains thru Maze Morris1
5. Mendoza thru Wolk Docswife

Someone might get an extra but that covers all.

Is everyone on board?
Old 02-29-2008, 09:40 PM
THE DRAGON LADY

Thanked 2,165 Times in 860 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris1
That is so cool. Howd you do that? I love it. 21 st Century Style Boston Tea Party. "California Tea Party".
I have a couple of graphics programs that I use Morris. I've been doing this for about 8 years and I've gotten a lot of comments about them. I did the graphics online for a poker club for about 5 years. I did a whole cartoon series about different member of the club. I do animated signatures too. The size we can use on here kinda limits me - but I can usually get my point across LMAO

Give me a few days and I'll have some logos made up that I can email to those who are interested in our Tea Party and everyone can decide what they want to use. Then I'll make up a "letterhead" and save it as a .word file so everyone can use the same background to send it to the Legislators.

Since I don't live in California - I don't know if they will pay attention to anything, since most of the senators websites say they will respond to "constiuents", but I'll sure send one to the Governor and I think everyone who wants to participate should too. We should also send it to the Sac Bee, Mercury, etc., and maybe we can get some press coverage LOL

Personally, I think we should send the whole tea packet - unopened of course - and if they want to spend the money to test it to see if it is something dangerous - well.............that's their problem. LMAO
Old 02-29-2008, 09:43 PM
THE DRAGON LADY

Quote:
Doc, I like that. In case they can't figure it out. Spell it out. LOL

OK, We have a name for our group effort.
"The 21st Century Boston Tea Party"

I will compose a letter. You guys write one to and we will cut and paste the good parts.

What do ya think?
I think it should be "The 21st Century CALIFORNIA Tea Party" - it isn't about Boston this time LMAO

And you might want to wait a couple of days before deciding who is writing to who - we may have more join in and that would be wonderful if we can get more people writing letters.

Last edited by Madhatter; 02-29-2008 at 09:44 PM..
Old 02-29-2008, 09:45 PM
Tea Party Member

Madhatter,
I agree the whole tea bag unopened. I like your idea.
Morris ready when you are, its a wonderful idea. Maybe we can get more people involved, it would be something if they got thousands of tea bags...
Old 02-29-2008, 09:45 PM
Donation Award 

Madhatter, If you could make up a letterhead that we can all use for this, that would be great. My idea is actually to mail the letters. That has a better chance of being read. If we all print the logo on plain white paper it will be fine. Plus the tea bag enclosed.

We should also enclose the report about 1 in 100 citizens. They will get the message.
Old 02-29-2008, 09:47 PM
Tea Party Member

Madhatter we are thinking alike....whats the saying about great minds...
Now all we have to do is talk Morris into running for Governor....
Old 02-29-2008, 09:48 PM
Donation Award 

Madhatter, Put out an APB on anyone who wants to participate. That would be great if more will help out. I just want to make sure that every legislator gets one so the lunchroom talk maybe turns to the Prison system. We need to post the letter where they can download it and then have them send it to a few legislators of their choice.

Last edited by Morris1; 02-29-2008 at 09:50 PM..
Old 02-29-2008, 09:50 PM
Tea Party Member

Morris,
APB how approiate....love ya!!!
Old 02-29-2008, 09:55 PM
Donation Award 

My cop lingo.....LOL
Old 02-29-2008, 10:06 PM
THE DRAGON LADY

Hmmmmmmmmmm. You are really making this OLD brain work overtime Morris LMAO. OK - I'll work something up and start a new thread tomorrow where people can let us know they are interested.

If we could get at least one letter to every senator from someone in their district it would be even better. The more the merrier LOL

I don't know where we could post the letterhead so everyone could d/l it though. I guess I could collect email addresses and email to everyone though LOL
Old 02-29-2008, 11:02 PM
Donation Award 

I am not very computer savy. You can you post a PDF file can't you? Just make it the letter we want to send with the cute little tea bag logo and when you load paper in your printer it should print it right?
Old 02-29-2008, 11:26 PM
THE DRAGON LADY

Quote:
I am not very computer savy. You can you post a PDF file can't you? Just make it the letter we want to send with the cute little tea bag logo and when you load paper in your printer it should print it right?
Ummmmmm I don't know LOL. And although I have the Adobe PDF Reader, I don't think I can create a PDF file. I know I can save it as a word document with the graphics, and then you would just have to open it in Microsoft Word and then print it, sign it and send it - couldn't be simpler LOL

I animated the logo I'm using - and it wouldn't be as impressive as a stationary object - so I will be creating some new graphics and everyone can pick what they think we should use.
Old 02-29-2008, 11:28 PM

Thanked 4,615 Times in 1,699 Posts

Whoa, folks! I'm gone a few hours for visiting and I come back to this!!! I LOVE IT, let me know what I can do besides mail a few letters. I'll help write the letter, track down a bunch of smaller newspapers to send copies to, and how about getting this to the Prison Law Office, TIPS, FAMMS, ACLU, etc.? Let's start namimg some organizations that would be interested and I'll keep the list and run it in one large post. Question: Is this legal (with the tea bags) and should we wear gloves and use a sponge to close the envelopes (dna...) hahaha. I'm trying to think like 007!

Old 02-29-2008, 11:32 PM

Mad:
Can you make the logo on the tea bag read "California Tea Party"?
(I'm thinking we don't need the 21st Century part at all, but whatever you guys decide I'm cool with!) Also, does anyone want me to research the Boston Tea Party for ideas and historical sayings or other info we might want to incorporate in the letter? I can work on this tomorrow afternoon and evening, and then after Sunday all my evenings are free for the long run on this. (Yeah, I don't have much of a life, lol).

Last edited by kima; 02-29-2008 at 11:39 PM..
Old 02-29-2008, 11:35 PM
THE DRAGON LADY

Any help would be appreciated Kima - I'm going to be looking for graphics tomorrow.

I just started a new thread in California News & Events for this - let's hope we get a lot of response.
Old 02-29-2008, 11:37 PM

Here's another thought...since PTO is regional and federal, and this report was for the US, what about seeing if there is interest in all the other states, and get this tea party going national??? There may even be some people involved with PTO that have media ties, marketing know how and we may even get someone with big bucks to sponsor this. I know California has big issues right now, would there be a way to draw attention to California specifically yet still make this a national grass roots movement??? Just a thought, give me some of your opinions on it.

Old 02-29-2008, 11:38 PM
The Janitor Of God

Thanked 1,115 Times in 555 Posts

You might want to use oversize (6x9 manila) envelopes. Any business-size envelope holding a tea bag that gets run through Postal Service machinery is likely to get stuck and end up shredded (possibly leading to a Homeland Security alert in this crazy country). Then again, it can't hurt to try.

A quote which may prove useful, and certainly illustrative:

"There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power government has is the power to crack down on criminals. When there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws. And then you cash in on guilt" --Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Will add that I'm not from California, but I really like this Tea Party idea and I want in....wouldn't it be wonderful if it caught the eye of one of our noisier national radio personalities? Howard Stern and Rush Limbaugh should be informed.

Surely this ought to be a National Tea Party.

THIS NUT WON'T CRACK

Last edited by DaveMoff; 02-29-2008 at 11:41 PM..
Old 02-29-2008, 11:47 PM

Maybe PTO will give us a thread specifically for this movement? With seperate "stickies" people can click on: one that would be a ptf file for the letter to be downloaded, and others that list the addresses for the politicians, the the media contact addresses, and the various prisoner rights groups. Fed-X???