Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Drug & Alcohol Treatment & Rehabilitation > Friends & Families of Addicts
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Friends & Families of Addicts Information for coping, dealing & living with a loved one's addictive behavior.

Old 05-02-2011, 06:52 PM

Default Has anyone loved one been able to stop using meth after jail?

My fiancé went in to CCI in October, I was 6 months pregnant at the time. I knew he was an addict but he was doing so well and then we started having problems. I moved out and he went and hung out with people who used and he ended up getting so bad he would slam (shoot it). After he grabbed me choked me out one day I said enough is enough. I walked home and I cried and I wrote him an e-mail telling him to leave me alone and to stay away from me and our baby. The next day I got a phone call saying he was arrested for testing dirty. I want to believe he has changed but I don't want to be played for a fool. I want my daughter safe. I don't want to be played for a fool again. He gets out in June, and I don't know what I should do. My heart and mind have two different answers.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-2011, 09:16 PM
Crazy Cajun Super Moderator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member PTO Super Moderator 

Donation Award 

Thanked 18,182 Times in 7,110 Posts

Hi Ravejess89 and welcome to PTO.

I'm sorry you're going through a rough time right now, and I can understand your concern for yourself and your child.

Keep reading in the resources section on what you can do. I would suggest going to a good Al-Anon meeting. You can learn a lot there. In the meantime, you have to do what is best for you AND your child.

The Following User Says Thank You to LifeTraveler For This Useful Post:
lisainengland (05-04-2011)
Old 05-05-2011, 09:52 AM

Ravejess I have been around the drug world and addicts nearly most of my life and I can say there is the chance that he will do his time and get out and stay clean. My brother did but he was gone for a couple of years. He had a great support system when he got out and we helped him he is going on 5 years of being sober from meth. One thing you need to know though is he has to wanto change and do right by you and your child. If he is ready to change and is really done with it then yes it is 100% possible. My brother was addicted to meth and different drugs for awhile and so where some of my other family members so I do know it is possible.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to djwbaby For This Useful Post:
hischubchub (05-05-2011), LifeTraveler (05-05-2011)
Old 05-05-2011, 10:53 AM

djwbaby said it well. I know many people who truly wanted to change and they did. but I also know someone who just dont care and has nothing to lose so they keep it up. i know more that have stayed clean than kept using though, so that is great! keep your head up girl!
Old 07-19-2011, 01:15 PM

It is possible. It's a hard thing to predict. No matter how much they say that's what they are going to do things change on a daily basis for addicts. I know guys who have spent their whole adult life go in and out of prison and get clean for small periods of time. I also know some guys who have done the same but finally got sick and tired of being sick and tired and have changed their lives around. It can only happen when they are ready. I wish it was so much easier. It makes me so sad to see good people wrapped up in addiction.