Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Prison & Criminal Legal Help!
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prison & Criminal Legal Help! Ask questions, get opinions, and find resources on dealing with criminal justice legal issues, appeals, and more..

Old 09-30-2019, 01:15 PM

Default Looking for attorney in Maryland

My kids father is back in jail. His charge is Sexual Solicitation of a Minor (Second Offense)...Well I am trying to help find a lawyer this time around since we were screwed in the public defender department last time. My question is how do you all afford a lawyer!? I knew they were expensive but shew...talk about sticker shock!!! Any help or suggestions would be gladly appreciated. I'm located in Maryland...not sure if that info is needed.
Old 09-30-2019, 04:59 PM
Site Moderator
Donation Award 

Thanked 24,242 Times in 13,900 Posts

Good luck finding affordable, competent legal defense.
Old 09-30-2019, 10:01 PM
Attorney

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90bkeen View Post
My kids father is back in jail. His charge is Sexual Solicitation of a Minor (Second Offense)...Well I am trying to help find a lawyer this time around since we were screwed in the public defender department last time. My question is how do you all afford a lawyer!? I knew they were expensive but shew...talk about sticker shock!!! Any help or suggestions would be gladly appreciated. I'm located in Maryland...not sure if that info is needed.

You will be paying (dearly) for someone competent to comb through evidence, likely engage an expert witness on forensic interviewing, and prepare to thoroughly cross examine a presumptive minor. There's no two ways about it: it costs money to defend people. I would not be surprised to hear that you're receiving quotes in the 5-figures. The really good attorneys may still hem and haw about taking the case even at that unless they see at least a puncher's chance at winning. Why? Think of it this way: would you spend $10,000 on the attorney you just saw on TV and whose client just took all the Ls?

This being his second offense, you would be wise to at least listen to what the PD has to say (say what you will about them, but they have no financial incentive to sell you false hopes), then shop this case around to several attorneys to see what they think. If you're going to hire someone, go with the one you trust but whose advice more aligns with the collective. If you talk to four attorneys and three of them say "it's going to be a tough trial", don't hire the guy who says "I'll just file this motion and they'll have to dismiss this" unless he can show you case law or court rules to support his confident statements.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to enigmaingr For This Useful Post:
90bkeen (10-01-2019), Girl22472 (09-30-2019), Lesliezack (10-01-2019), sidewalker (10-01-2019)
Old 09-30-2019, 10:12 PM

To add to this it's rather easy to do some research on some case law. You can sometimes even do a simple Google search to find cases in your area and know how some of them have turned out as well as the laws pertaining to his crime. This will kind of give you an idea too if a plea is offered if it's a good one or not rather than simply listening to an attorney. It will also give you ideas on what kind of questions to ask as well as find out who the attorney's in the cases were and what their outcomes were.

Is his case state or federal? That's an important start as it can be either way on this sort of crime. With a previous conviction you also want to look at if there are any mandatory minimums required and how they are handled.
The Following User Says Thank You to Girl22472 For This Useful Post:
90bkeen (10-01-2019)
Old 10-01-2019, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl22472 View Post
To add to this it's rather easy to do some research on some case law. You can sometimes even do a simple Google search to find cases in your area and know how some of them have turned out as well as the laws pertaining to his crime. This will kind of give you an idea too if a plea is offered if it's a good one or not rather than simply listening to an attorney. It will also give you ideas on what kind of questions to ask as well as find out who the attorney's in the cases were and what their outcomes were.

Is his case state or federal? That's an important start as it can be either way on this sort of crime. With a previous conviction you also want to look at if there are any mandatory minimums required and how they are handled.

I believe his case is state
Old 10-01-2019, 12:47 PM
attorney

Thanked 22,348 Times in 7,760 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl22472 View Post

Unless you work in that court, know the judge and prosecutor in the case and know their tendencies, you will find nothing of value in other cases.
Old 10-01-2019, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourself View Post
Unless you work in that court, know the judge and prosecutor in the case and know their tendencies, you will find nothing of value in other cases.
I found lots of things online that helped me with questions as well as how things are often handled.