Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TEXAS > Texas Prison and Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Texas Prison and Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Topics / Information relating to the Texas Department of Corrections and local / county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc.

Old 02-20-2019, 10:02 PM

Default Visitation screwed up by short handed or just don't care?

Last weekend (Sun) we took our grandchildren to see their mother. We did a split visit with their mother's mother and sister, meaning 1 hour visit for each of us. We got there at 1:30 and found that there was a waiting list. Our names were taken and we were told to come back to the gate at 2:30. We all went back at 2:30. The mother and sister went in first and we were told to come back at 3:30. We went back to the gate at 3:30 and was told that the inmate was at lunch. I said how could that be as the inmates mother and sister were visiting her for the last hour. The guard came back and said Oh they have only been with her for 15 min. So we went back to the car to wait. Shortly we saw the mother and sister come out of the building, so we went to the gate again. The mother and sister said they hadn't seen her yet and was going to talk to someone to find out where she was. They were told to go back to the visiting room and she will be there. They only stayed longed enough to give her a hug as it was 4 pm. by then and they wanted her children to spend time with her. During their few minutes with her we were patted down and waited for them to return. Ten minutes later we were able to see her. At 4:50 we were told to say goodbye. The inmate said she was just then notified about having visitors when she was called to go to the visiting room. The guard that patted us down said he didn't know what happened but it wasn't his fault and if we wanted to complain we could go across the street to the warden's building. We didn't after the visit because by the time we got out he probably would not be there and we were tired as both parties had traveled four hours each to get there. So my question is do I report this or just leave it alone. I don't want trouble brought on the inmate because we complained. This was the second time we visited her and didn't have trouble then, of course we didn't do a split visit, but I really don't think that had anything to do with notifying the inmate she had visitors. Unfortunately our son is also in prison and all visits with him has gone well time wise. Anyone have thoughts as to what or what not to do. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-2019, 01:55 PM

I would send an email to the ombudsman’s office (for documentation) and tell them exactly what happened that day. They will do an investigation and give you a response. It may take a few weeks as they do a thorough investigation. I would also trying to contact the warden as well. I hate to say this but the squeaky wheel gets greased in my experience.
Old 02-22-2019, 08:51 AM
Midnight Sun Moderator

PTO Site Moderator 

Donation Award 

Thanked 4,269 Times in 1,878 Posts

I'm conflicted. If this was something that kept happening to me more than once or twice and it appeared the facility couldn't get their ducks in a row with visits...then I would consider taking it further. However, if it turns out this was just a one-off and you haven't heard from other visitors that it's a norm...then perhaps it isn't worth possibly putting your incarcerated loved one in a bad spot with the staff...often if you read about their rules about visiting there's some small print that says something to the effect of it not being their responsibility if x or y happens and visits get canceled or delayed.... This is just my opinion though. I am sorry your visit didn't work out & I hope the next one will be good!

The Following User Says Thank You to Sarianna For This Useful Post:
dtmom2013 (02-22-2019)
Old 02-25-2019, 01:21 PM

I am not defending the Unit Staff nor saying the Offender was the guilty party. I have seen Correctional Officer to lazy to do their jobs and not call nor look for the Offender. I have also watched Offenders get notified of their visit and decide they need to shower and change clothes and just not get in a hurry to get to the visit. When it is real busy they can lose their table.
Old 02-25-2019, 07:44 PM

I really had to bite my tongue over visits during Thanksgiving weekend. I'm from Oklahoma and my incarcerated loved one is in Kentucky. She was locked down in SEG so we had to have appointments and do our visits behind glass. I drive a thousand miles out to her mom's to stay the weekend and do three days of visits. We have our appointment times set up. I get to the prison a few minutes ahead of time and I sign in and tell them I have an appointment for no contact visits with my inmate at this time. The woman tells me that somebody forgot to send the email that authorized any no-contact visits for the three day visits. So all the inmates with no-contact visits didn't get to have a visit over Thanksgiving. To me that is just unacceptable but all I could do was gritcmy teeth and leave. I made the best of the weekend and spent it all with her family but that was just a huge let down for us all.
Old 02-26-2019, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaBabes View Post
I really had to bite my tongue over visits during Thanksgiving weekend. I'm from Oklahoma and my incarcerated loved one is in Kentucky. She was locked down in SEG so we had to have appointments and do our visits behind glass. I drive a thousand miles out to her mom's to stay the weekend and do three days of visits. We have our appointment times set up. I get to the prison a few minutes ahead of time and I sign in and tell them I have an appointment for no contact visits with my inmate at this time. The woman tells me that somebody forgot to send the email that authorized any no-contact visits for the three day visits. So all the inmates with no-contact visits didn't get to have a visit over Thanksgiving. To me that is just unacceptable but all I could do was gritcmy teeth and leave. I made the best of the weekend and spent it all with her family but that was just a huge let down for us all.
That was totally inexcusable. I would raise cane if this happened to me.
Old 02-26-2019, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Ray View Post
I am not defending the Unit Staff nor saying the Offender was the guilty party. I have seen Correctional Officer to lazy to do their jobs and not call nor look for the Offender. I have also watched Offenders get notified of their visit and decide they need to shower and change clothes and just not get in a hurry to get to the visit. When it is real busy they can lose their table.
That inmate doesn't need a visit if he or she is going to act that way toward their visitor. This was not the case as she knows the only visitors she would have are her children and mother or sister.
Old 02-26-2019, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarianna View Post
I'm conflicted. If this was something that kept happening to me more than once or twice and it appeared the facility couldn't get their ducks in a row with visits...then I would consider taking it further. However, if it turns out this was just a one-off and you haven't heard from other visitors that it's a norm...then perhaps it isn't worth possibly putting your incarcerated loved one in a bad spot with the staff...often if you read about their rules about visiting there's some small print that says something to the effect of it not being their responsibility if x or y happens and visits get canceled or delayed.... This is just my opinion though. I am sorry your visit didn't work out & I hope the next one will be good!
I wrote a long winded letter of our experience but haven't sent it yet. Still thinking about it if it's worth it as I'm sure other worse things have happened to others. Besides the other party didn't seem too upset about it and they were the inmates mother and sister. Our visit was for the children to see their mother.
The Following User Says Thank You to thelma1951 For This Useful Post:
Sarianna (02-26-2019)