Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > BREAK TIME > Pets & Animal Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Pets & Animal Discussions Man of us have furry (or other) loved ones at home with us. Please use this forum to talk about anything and everything relating to them, hobbies relating to them, etc.

Old 02-13-2019, 08:58 PM

Default Suggestions for a pet gate?

I am planning to set-up a pet fence in the staircase as I am afraid that my Yorkie might fall and get hurt. Which among this dog gate that I have seen online should I invest on? I am torn between getting a hardware mounted gate or a pressure mounted gate.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2019, 06:54 AM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Award 

Donation Award 

Thanked 7,452 Times in 2,938 Posts

We've had both. Granted, our dogs are significantly bigger than a Yorkie, but still. I'll give you the pro's and con's of each, as we experienced them while living with two dogs labrador or bigger over 2 generations of dogs:

1. Hardware mounted: these are great for openings where you know you will be opening and closing it a lot and will never need to move it. Using them tends to wear them out tho' since they don't tend to be made with hardware sturdy enough. They tend to look better than a pressure gate, but they also make the doorway smaller, so if it's a door that has a lot of large items carried through it on a regular basis (furniture, large people, laundry baskets, groceries etc).

We finally attached a magnet to ours (we went through 3 of them over the span of about 10 years because they kept breaking). It magnet-ed the door open by sticking it to the nearby wall (there are magnetic doorstops that work well for this). We used that one daily for various reasons. But then we lost the two dogs it was originally installed for, and our current two dogs don't have the problems that the first two dogs did, so we didn't need it anymore. I dismounted it and repaired the drywall and we called it good.

2) Pressure mounted: In a word, clumsy. Also, if used in the same location repeatedly, they'll damage the paint/drywall/texturing, and if you don't have good drywall skills, you'll be paying to have someone fix the walls repeatedly. They also end up looking cluttered if you use it repeatedly, because you will end up just leaning it against the nearest vertical surface.

On the other hand, they're portable and can be used to keep dogs away from doors etc. We use a pressure one when guests come so that the dogs don't keep bonking into the guest room doorknob and waking our guests up. When we're done, we stuff it in a handy closet nearby. I don't think we use it more than once a week, so putting it back in its closet isn't that big of a problem and it's nice to be able to use it all around the house as needed.

I wouldn't say that either one is better than the other. With a Yorkie, I would advise that you check the clearance dimensions if you're thinking of getting a wall mounted type - they often require 4 inches or so of ground clearance when the hardware is taken into account, so your dog might be able to go under the gate. The pressure ones can sit on the floor, so there's no clearance requirements.
The Following User Says Thank You to GingerM For This Useful Post:
sidewalker (02-14-2019)
Old 02-14-2019, 08:00 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 29,906 Times in 14,978 Posts

I had one of the walk thru ones. We still use it to keep pup out of a room we dont have a door on.
It worked ok, until little turd figured out how to open it. (too smart for his own good)
It was a pressure mounted one (with the option of adding width if needed)
Not glamorous to look at but at least we could open and close it rather than hop over.
So you can move it from place to place if need be, or you also had a option of attaching it to a the wall if needed.
And the gate swing can be switched.

It does mess up the wall a bit tho if your not careful.

That's my dog's nose art

The Following User Says Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
GingerM (02-15-2019)