Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Probation, Halfway House and Community Supervision
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal Probation, Halfway House and Community Supervision This forum is dedicated to information & discussions relating to U.S. Federal Probation & Community Supervision, including half-way houses.

Old 07-13-2018, 08:46 AM

Default Monument Street Halfway House - Baltimore, what is the check-in process?

Hello - I am looking for information about the check in process, what items are allowed, house rules and what the first few days will be like in the Monument Street Halfway House. I have been unable to find ANYTHING online about it. I know it is in the process of being turned into a Homeless Shelter but that is about it. Any information would be helpful as helping a friend prepare what he needs for the first week as he has no local friends/family.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-2018, 05:10 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 32,632 Times in 14,981 Posts

You're right, there isn't much info out there...like its all supposed to be one big secret. The address, phone number, driving directions, etc are on the BOP page for Monument Residential Reentry Center. It isn't much, but maybe yo can call and ask for specific. Please post what you find out so the next member / guest looking for the info can find it

patchouli, PTO Admin

Old 07-13-2018, 06:32 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 20,146 Times in 11,759 Posts

The only way I know to attempt to get information about one of the half way houses used by the bop is to call or write the HWH and request an advance copy of their "residents" rule book. Once he arrives there, he will get a pamphlet with all of their requirements, and he will also be required to complete their orientation program.
Old 07-14-2018, 06:59 AM

Thanked 1,134 Times in 571 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchouli View Post
You're right, there isn't much info out there...like its all supposed to be one big secret. The address, phone number, driving directions, etc are on the BOP page for Monument Residential Reentry Center. It isn't much, but maybe yo can call and ask for specific. Please post what you find out so the next member / guest looking for the info can find it
Unfortunately, this seems to be consistent among most halfway houses. What is the big deal? Maybe it would help ease the anxiety for some of the incoming residents if they post this information.

Fortunately, I'm finally able to connect with guys that have been in prison with my husband and have gone to or going to the HWH he is going to and so they can give me an idea of what he can expect by the time he gets out in January and has to report for the "orientation" and what that means. If he had some idea in advance, it would help him in his own pre-planning as far as job arrangements, what personal items he is responsible and allowed to bring, etc.

I do not want to be driving back and forth to the city in the middle of February, especially while I am maintaining a household with my kids, and working, not to mention the weather, so want to make sure he has everything he needs for the time he is stuck there. But the fact that they don't have their act together and work with the BOP to make a seamless transition, is really a disservice to everyone and makes the whole process inefficient.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rockchalk1 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (07-14-2018), Fridyrr.Likn (07-16-2018), patchouli (07-14-2018)
Old 07-14-2018, 04:44 PM

Hello,

Upon arrival you will go thru a check in process. They are pretty good about what you can bring in. You will not be allowed out the first week so you want to make sure you have what you need including personal toiletries. You can have a Portable DVD player, phone with no internet and no camera. You are only allowed to bring $60 dollars and you should make sure It is in small bills including ones for the snack machines. Please feel free to message me with questions.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BadJuno For This Useful Post:
Fallen1700 (07-15-2018), fbopnomore (07-15-2018), patchouli (07-14-2018)
Old 07-15-2018, 07:12 AM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

Here's what the American Bar Association says about bop half way houses.
https://www.americanbar.org/content/...thcheckdam.pdf
Old 07-15-2018, 06:59 PM

I wrote here about the Monument Street VOA HH a few weeks ago. I can confirm what BadJuno said.

They did enforce a 7-day blackout period (no trips outside) for new arrivals last year. His BOP debit card with the balance of his commissary account will work in the vending machines. There is a laundry room (free, but supply your own detergent). They will drug/alcohol test him periodically. He'll be in an 8-man dorm-style room (no bunk beds). There are non-cable TVs, and a computer room and small library. There is a gym with nautilus machines and a half-court basketball area. The food was decent. He will not be allowed to bring in any food/drinks, but he will be allowed to go on shopping trips, and bring back his purchases.

He'll have to take some pointless classes while he's there. The staff are generally pretty easy to get along with, as are the other residents. If he wants to get transferred to home confinement, there's a bunch of paperwork he'll have to get organized.

Worst thing I can say, there isn't a whole lot to do while he's there.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 99mtg00 For This Useful Post:
Fallen1700 (07-15-2018), fbopnomore (07-15-2018)
Old 07-15-2018, 07:47 PM

How is getting mail? My friend will only come with what he has inside. He is only there 8 weeks so we aren't thinking home confinement. He has no friends/family in the area so we are lining up another program to go into after. Are cell phones allowed with no camera or internet? I have an interview lined up for him. I'm from the area but live 1600 miles away. How are visits? Thanks for the info, I'll send it along to him. Unfortunately he is taking the bus from NJ so family will not see him ahead of time for anything.

Last edited by Fallen1700; 07-15-2018 at 07:50 PM.. Reason: Cleaning up post.
Old 07-16-2018, 07:05 AM

My LO got a ride from Dix to VOA. The amount of time his Dix case mgr allowed for his trip was ridiculously short. Would have required no traffic, and exceeding the speed limit throughout. But you can call VOA en route to tell them you're stuck in traffic, and they won't mind your being late. They do allow more time for people taking the bus.
Yes on cell phone models without camera/internet. Hard to find, but there is a store near Hopkins Hospital that sells them. Flyers on the bulletin board at VOA for that store. And they have plenty of pay phones, without all the BOP obstacles to use. He'll need a lot of quarters, or a calling card, until he gets his cell phone.

Oh, visiting at VOA is much, much easier than at Dix. And you can bring food to the visiting room.
The Following User Says Thank You to 99mtg00 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (07-16-2018)
Old 07-16-2018, 07:20 AM

VOA does allow an "emergency dropoff" of clothes/items within the first couple of days. I assume they'll give mail to the residents, but I don't think it comes up very often.

Here's their website
Oops. PTO won't let me post a URL. It's "voachesapeake" with "www" in front, and "org/rrc" behind.
Old 07-16-2018, 11:28 AM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

Here's the link to the VOA's Chesapeake web page.
https://www.voachesapeake.org/
Old 07-16-2018, 02:20 PM

Hello,

You can call them at tel410) 276-5880. There were very good about answering questions about a year ago.
The Following User Says Thank You to BadJuno For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (07-16-2018)