Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > OHIO > Ohio General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ohio General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Ohio that do not fit into any other Ohio sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 04-06-2009, 09:13 AM

Default Divorce while wife is incarcerated

My wife is currently in the NEPRC in Cleveland Ohio....she served one year, was release and violated and was sent back one month later....she how as been sentenced to two additional years on additional charges. My question is has anyone had experience with divorce while the other party is prison. I have been taking care of her two children (my step-daughters) this entire time. Their bio father has taken them now due to her additional time added. I am filing for divorce and moving but I wonder what is my obligation to all of her personal belongings in the home. I am trying to be a good guy and have paid a storage facility a year for her things...but everything she has will not fit into it....I want to get rid or donate the rest. I dont feel that I am obligated to do anymore than this....and her family will not offer to take any of her belongings or help out in any way with the storage fee....Im about ready to just place the remaining items out for trash collection at this point. I know that sounds aweful...but I no longer feel this is my responsibilty to look after her things......any advice would be appreciated...
Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-2009, 05:42 PM
Keep on Pushin

Location: I was and am In TX. He was and still (I believe) in OH

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbuckner View Post
My wife is currently in the NEPRC in Cleveland Ohio....she served one year, was release and violated and was sent back one month later....she how as been sentenced to two additional years on additional charges. My question is has anyone had experience with divorce while the other party is prison. I have been taking care of her two children (my step-daughters) this entire time. Their bio father has taken them now due to her additional time added. I am filing for divorce and moving but I wonder what is my obligation to all of her personal belongings in the home. I am trying to be a good guy and have paid a storage facility a year for her things...but everything she has will not fit into it....I want to get rid or donate the rest. I dont feel that I am obligated to do anymore than this....and her family will not offer to take any of her belongings or help out in any way with the storage fee....Im about ready to just place the remaining items out for trash collection at this point. I know that sounds aweful...but I no longer feel this is my responsibilty to look after her things......any advice would be appreciated...

well first off cbuckner...im sorry that u guys are getting divorced....i hate seeing couples having to split, but i know that u are trying to seek advice on what to do with her belongings...have u asked her what she would like u to do now that her own family wont help with her items??? and are any of the items able to be sold and maybe u just send the profits to her commissary?? I know u also mentioned placing them in storage...but that gets extremely pricey especially if ur are needing it for 12months or more...if she is ok with u trying to sell...i would try to list them on craigslist or whatever else u think would be good to get rid of these things as fast as possible....