Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > PENNSYLVANIA > Pennsylvania Visitation, Prison Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Pennsylvania Visitation, Prison Phones, Packages & Mail Topics / Information relating to the Pennsylvania Department of Corrections and local / county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc.

Old 03-07-2009, 06:32 PM
Wiser now...

Thanked 2,999 Times in 1,003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kare bear View Post
I used to have the same problems and we both decided it was cheaper to just have him get the phone cards. It runs the same and he can call my cell or the home phone. Plus it saves me from getting behind on my phone bill. Switched my cell number to his area code and they are cheaper.
We use phone cards too. It's makes it easier for us to keep the money we spend on calls under control. It's about $5.00 for a 15 minute call from SCI Greene to Philly. I budget a certain amount every month and put it on his books using Touchpay.

WW
Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-2009, 08:21 PM

Does anyone know how they approve the phone lists. Since i am already approved on his phone list and have an out of state # (wv) .If he also puts me down with a local # for a cell will they question that?
Old 03-08-2009, 09:08 PM
Always standing with him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by missi1969 View Post
Does anyone know how they approve the phone lists. Since i am already approved on his phone list and have an out of state # (wv) .If he also puts me down with a local # for a cell will they question that?

No, they won't question it. When JT was in SCI Smithfield I had a cell phone with the area code for that area. When he moved to SCI Chester I got the number changed to the area code in that area. They don't question it, it's two different departments. The phone list and visit list have not connection.

Your're good!

"Even when your hustling days are gone
She'll be by your side still holding on..."
~Lyfe Jennings

The Following User Says Thank You to JTsBabyGirl For This Useful Post:
missi1969 (03-08-2009)
Old 03-08-2009, 09:19 PM

Thanks JTs Baby, I'm going to try it. Our calls, since they are out of state are $12 each through GTL. Maybe if I can get a local area code in state and he gets a calling card they will be a little cheaper. If you have any other helpful info about chester , i'd be interested. He has only been there a couple weeks now and is still waiting on a bed in TC program. I'm hoping things will start moving along soon. Thanks again.
Old 03-08-2009, 09:44 PM
Always standing with him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by missi1969 View Post
Thanks JTs Baby, I'm going to try it. Our calls, since they are out of state are $12 each through GTL. Maybe if I can get a local area code in state and he gets a calling card they will be a little cheaper. If you have any other helpful info about chester , i'd be interested. He has only been there a couple weeks now and is still waiting on a bed in TC program. I'm hoping things will start moving along soon. Thanks again.
Missi-

I personally wouldn't deal with GTL. My advice for the phone, is to go and get a prepaid phone from WalMart or another store (I use AT&T) and when you set up the phone, give the company the Prison's address. They will give you a local number for that area. He'll have to get a phone card (they sell them for $15, $25, $50 plus tax) the cost for him is like $2.60 and for me it's like $1.60 for 15mins. However, what works for you is what's best.

As far as info on Chester.....you might be asking the wrong person (lol!) JT was at Smithfield for like 6 years before going to Chester-he moved there right before Christmas this year....and I have to tell you, they have their own way of doing things there. They have been the most diffitcult prison to work with . He was supposed to enter the Barber School program...but they decided that they didn't need to honor the transfer paperwork and told him that he has to do the Drug Program before entering the Barber School program. The worst part, is that JT has been down for 10 and (even though there isn't a "drug" problem) he has been through so many classes...so it's like the same thing over again.

I also find that the staff isn't as professional as they were at Smithfield. If you send a money order, always make sure you have delivery confirmation. The mail room has a way of "losing" things. I sent a money order last month and it was "lost" even though he got the other mail that it was with. So, I had to report it as "lost/stolen" and now I have to wait sixty days until I get it the money back. TouchPay is the best. Their rates are lower then JPay and it's credit to the account the same day.

If you visit....make sure you get there prior to count or after count (count is 3:30 and if you arrive at 3:15...more then likely you will have to wait 45mins until it's over. If they mess up....wish they do, often...they will have to start all over again. Week days are the best to visit...I try to go Fridays....if my work schedule allows....Saturdays are very crowed...Sundays' aren't as bad.

If you need any other information, let me know....

"Even when your hustling days are gone
She'll be by your side still holding on..."
~Lyfe Jennings

Old 04-15-2009, 08:40 AM
Banned

Could someone please PM me with who i should report the phone system to i keep getting my calls cut off when the pa system comes on and ITI wont give me the credit because they say its the jail doing it.im sick of getting ripped off and i know there has to be a state office that watches over this?
Old 04-24-2009, 03:26 PM

My baby is in Grateford and its now 12 business days since we last spoke. I'm going bonkers. I called his counselor and asked when he'd be able to call. He said he should be able to call, he has his pin. I am pulling my hair out and I want to talk to my baby! This is pure torture. Does anyone know about Graterford, PA and how they run?
Old 05-01-2009, 07:54 PM

Default He Called.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boopydooda22 View Post
My baby is in Grateford and its now 12 business days since we last spoke. I'm going bonkers. I called his counselor and asked when he'd be able to call. He said he should be able to call, he has his pin. I am pulling my hair out and I want to talk to my baby! This is pure torture. Does anyone know about Graterford, PA and how they run?
He finally called on the 27th from Camp hill. The call was only 3 minutes. God knows how long it will take him to call me now.
Old 05-02-2009, 05:21 AM

That call he made was because he was in intake, which usually is 10 days and then they are put on a block and then calls will be every 4 days. now he gets to the block and they just had there callin day he has to wait til the next calling day. they get one 15 min one call every 4 days.. it sucksss.. but get on a schedule so you know when to be home and get the call, and not be busy, those 15 mins go by soooo fast!!

~Love never fails~
* Heather&Johnathan *
Est. 3-5-08
Old 05-08-2009, 11:29 AM

Default PA Public Utility Commission

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylee23 View Post
Could someone please PM me with who i should report the phone system to i keep getting my calls cut off when the pa system comes on and ITI wont give me the credit because they say its the jail doing it.im sick of getting ripped off and i know there has to be a state office that watches over this?
File a complaint with the Pennsylvania Public Utility Commission (http://www.puc.state.pa.us/general/filecomplaints.aspx).

South Bay
Old 05-13-2009, 07:34 PM

Default Day 4

Thanks, for the info, now I know I can count. He called me Saturday and today is day 4. Its already 9:30 pm and I haven't heard from him. Oh well, guess I got to be patient. Anyway, I called to confirm his visiting and its approved. I thanked the person because I told the person I was traveling so far and he asked my name and said I was good. Now I'm on my way in the am, with 3 hours to drive. I'm all nervous and excited at the same time. Anxious to see him. Wish me well! Hey, and thanks so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnswifey08 View Post
That call he made was because he was in intake, which usually is 10 days and then they are put on a block and then calls will be every 4 days. now he gets to the block and they just had there callin day he has to wait til the next calling day. they get one 15 min one call every 4 days.. it sucksss.. but get on a schedule so you know when to be home and get the call, and not be busy, those 15 mins go by soooo fast!!
Old 05-13-2009, 09:18 PM
Waiting Wife

Quote:
Thanks, for the info, now I know I can count. He called me Saturday and today is day 4. Its already 9:30 pm and I haven't heard from him. Oh well, guess I got to be patient. Anyway, I called to confirm his visiting and its approved. I thanked the person because I told the person I was traveling so far and he asked my name and said I was good. Now I'm on my way in the am, with 3 hours to drive. I'm all nervous and excited at the same time. Anxious to see him. Wish me well! Hey, and thanks so much.
Dont worry if once in awhile his phone day comes up and you dont get a call, its happened to me a few times and usually its because something was wrong with the phones on the block or they got locked in early for whatever reason. I know there was even one time he had to hang out with me after only talking for 5 mins because they were all getting locked in because someone wasnt listening, so try not to worry. Youll probably hear from him on his next phone call day....and better yet youll be seeing him tomorrow GOOD LUCK AND HAVE A GREAT VISIT!!
Old 05-14-2009, 03:37 AM

Quote:

your welcome have a goood visit, let us know how it goes!!

~Love never fails~
* Heather&Johnathan *
Est. 3-5-08
Old 05-14-2009, 05:14 PM

Thumbs up My Visit was AWESOME!

Let at 5:30 am and got there about 8:00 that wasn't too bad. My visit was wonderful We talked for 5 hours that was so worth it especially coming a long way. I"M SO HAPPY! TODAY....

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnswifey08 View Post
your welcome have a goood visit, let us know how it goes!!
Old 05-14-2009, 09:07 PM
www.freedom4justin.com

Quote:
Let at 5:30 am and got there about 8:00 that wasn't too bad. My visit was wonderful We talked for 5 hours that was so worth it especially coming a long way. I"M SO HAPPY! TODAY....

I am so happy for you. This whole thing has been my first experience with the judicial system and it has been a horrible one at that. We still have another 17 mos until he is eligible for parole. It's been a living nightmare from day one. My faith in our justice system has depleted to nothing. It stinks and I hope they never ask me to be on jury duty because I think it is all a crock as well. Anyway... you do learn patience although it is very very hard. I've been in this mess since the end of Oct. 2007. I am so glad your visit went well...it is such a bitter sweet time each time I go visit... the thought of him being in a brown jumpsuit and slip on slipper type shoes and the whole ordeal of going through what I call customs... LOL...is mortifying. But I am so happy to see him and I know he looks forward to the visits and you know the only positive really...is that we have grown so close through all of this... he realizes I'm there no matter what.
good luck to you and your loved one. write if you need any thing or just to vent.

"Those that judge don't matter; Those that matter don't judge"!
Old 05-16-2009, 07:48 PM

Default Phone Calls

I'm not sure what goes on in there, but I asked him why he didn't call on Wed, he said I guess they didn't let him and the guard told him oh you missed your phone call. He said he was going to call me on Saturday but he didn't call today either. I'm just a little concerned. Do they have set days they can make phone calls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiting Wife View Post
Dont worry if once in awhile his phone day comes up and you dont get a call, its happened to me a few times and usually its because something was wrong with the phones on the block or they got locked in early for whatever reason. I know there was even one time he had to hang out with me after only talking for 5 mins because they were all getting locked in because someone wasnt listening, so try not to worry. Youll probably hear from him on his next phone call day....and better yet youll be seeing him tomorrow GOOD LUCK AND HAVE A GREAT VISIT!!
Old 05-16-2009, 11:39 PM
Waiting Wife

Quote:
I'm not sure what goes on in there, but I asked him why he didn't call on Wed, he said I guess they didn't let him and the guard told him oh you missed your phone call. He said he was going to call me on Saturday but he didn't call today either. I'm just a little concerned. Do they have set days they can make phone calls.

They can call every four days, my husband usually calls in the evening. If his day to make a phone call was Wednesday this week his next opportunity to call you would be Sunday....then again on Thursday...and so on and so forth. The cycle can get screwed up if they move him to a different cell, each block has their on phone cycle, but its always every four days. He will get settled into a routine shortly Im sure and youll start hearing from him on a regular basis. My hubby is on K block, A side, and had his phone call tonight so I wont hear from him again until Wednesday night. Let me know if you have any other questions, Im here for ya!
The Following User Says Thank You to Waiting Wife For This Useful Post:
Deannemeb (10-24-2009)
Old 05-21-2009, 07:15 AM

Thanks girl, yes he did call me on Sunday. Boy was I happy. He should be calling me this morning. I'll be going to see him again tomorrow. I just can't wait. Hey, my man is in K block too. he's in section b level 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiting Wife View Post
They can call every four days, my husband usually calls in the evening. If his day to make a phone call was Wednesday this week his next opportunity to call you would be Sunday....then again on Thursday...and so on and so forth. The cycle can get screwed up if they move him to a different cell, each block has their on phone cycle, but its always every four days. He will get settled into a routine shortly Im sure and youll start hearing from him on a regular basis. My hubby is on K block, A side, and had his phone call tonight so I wont hear from him again until Wednesday night. Let me know if you have any other questions, Im here for ya!
Old 02-28-2010, 01:03 PM

Ok can someone tell me this. My boy is in washington co. and I am in Dallas tx. If I set up an iti account will he know this and call me? I doubt he knows the number cause it is in his cell. If I lost my cell I would not know a single number. I trying figure this out. I dont want to waste my time setting it up and then he has no idea I opened it for him. He got locked up this weekend and I want to contact him.
Old 03-13-2010, 08:13 PM

We live 2 hours away from SCI Coal Township. We bought a Magic Jack web phone service for $19.99 per year. We set up the Magic Jack with a Sunbury, PA number area code 570, 809 exchange. Now he can call us like a local call from SCI Coal Township for $1.69 per 15 minutes. When he called collect, the call would be over $6.00 per 15 minutes. I hope this helps some of you out there with large phone bills.
The Following User Says Thank You to coaltownship01 For This Useful Post:
bobble60 (03-14-2010)
Old 07-11-2010, 07:00 PM
← That's me

I'm such a dumbass when it comes to land line phones, since I am a huge supporter of eliminating them in favor of cell phones.

I recently setup a phone number in the 814 area code with a prefix in Tyrone, PA. He is locked up at SCI Huntingdon. Would that call be considered local or InterLATA? The call appears to cross 1 county line, but is only 20 miles away.

Thanks!
Old 07-17-2010, 08:34 AM

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 2,311 Times in 1,272 Posts

It's probably within the local calling area. GTL doesn't distinguish with the area codes. I pay the same rate for calls from any prison within my area code, and also the same rate for calls from any prisons outside it. ($1.65 and $6.25, respectively.)
Old 01-08-2011, 08:56 PM

Hello, Im new here my husband is currently incarcerted at Montgomery County Correctional Facility, and I opened an account for phone calls with ITI, I was wondering why when he calls me the recorded message says you have a collect call? Shouldnt it say a prepaid call? I check my balance after our phone calls and the money is being used, but I want to know will I see charges on my phone bill as well?
Old 01-08-2011, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luqa View Post
Hello, Im new here my husband is currently incarcerted at Montgomery County Correctional Facility, and I opened an account for phone calls with ITI, I was wondering why when he calls me the recorded message says you have a collect call? Shouldnt it say a prepaid call? I check my balance after our phone calls and the money is being used, but I want to know will I see charges on my phone bill as well?
No there will not be any additional charges on your phone bill. It's just the greeting the computer generates
The Following User Says Thank You to stevesmom66 For This Useful Post:
bobble60 (01-16-2011)
Old 01-08-2011, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevesmom66 View Post
No there will not be any additional charges on your phone bill. It's just the greeting the computer generates
Thankyou for your response, that's a relief to know