Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR "OFFENDERS" > Recidivism and Re-entry
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Recidivism and Re-entry Share information, research, and personal experiences.

Old 07-21-2019, 08:20 AM

Default Help with Reentry app

Hi all,

My name is Shannon. I'm a college student and I'm developing a finance app for those re-entering society and could use your help.

In your experience, besides a mobile device, what would help you successfully manage your finances upon reentry? No wrong answer. I'm looking for a brainstorm of words, features, thoughts, tools, programs, etc... whatever you can think of.

Not necessary, but helpful, also let me know:
  • are you a former prisoner, family member, just here to support?
  • sex
  • age or age range
  • education level

Thanks!

Shannon
Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-2019, 08:40 AM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 35,636 Times in 16,403 Posts

Media Policy Representation of PTO
We are proud of our community and welcome members of the Media or Researchers to enter into dialogue with us about our aims, objectives and site structure.
As this is a prisoner-oriented site, any media stories evolving from PTO communication should be that of a positive nature towards the families of those incarcerated.
PTO is not a dating site nor is it in any way a campaigning or political community. We are not affiliated to any religious organisation and operate an open door, equal-opportunity environment.
Any representation that suggests otherwise is not acceptable and we ask that you do not use our name in any such article or presentation.

Disclaimer for Members (Media Representatives)
PTO does not endorse any media outlet, journalist, member of the media or media story/report, or any researchers or involved research institution.
PTO does not screen or authenticate any person(s) claiming to be from the media or from a research institution, nor does PTO authenticate their motivations for obtaining the information.
Members contact media representatives at their own risk and under their own cognisance.

Media/Journalist/Researchers – Requirements for PTO Membership/Acceptable Conduct
PTO welcomes journalists and/or members of the media to learn and educate themselves about prisons, prisoners, and their loved ones, as well as students and researchers doing research on these subjects.
We do, occasionally, allow media/researchers to request information and personal stories from our members.
Any information obtained from this site must be credited to Prisontalk.com and its members.
Members of the media must obtain permission from PTO Administration before posting requests for information and/or contact details.
Media/Researchers who send unsolicited messages or post requests for information without express permission may be removed from this community.

patchouli, PTO Admin

Old 07-21-2019, 09:57 AM

Default How important are tech literacy programs?

How important are tech literacy programs?
Old 07-21-2019, 10:05 AM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

what would help you successfully manage your finances upon reentry?

A job. A decent paying job.
  • are you a former prisoner, family member, just here to support? All 3.
  • sex Not as often as I'd like, but, yeah, sometimes.
  • age or age range 60+
  • education level Master's
How important are tech literacy programs?

That depends on the age of the offender and length of time served. The number of whats considered "older" inmates is growing exponentially. Programs geared more toward the older inmate are not.

patchouli, PTO Admin

The Following User Says Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
sass4221 (07-21-2019)
Old 07-21-2019, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hett89 View Post
Hi all,

My name is Shannon. I'm a college student and I'm developing a finance app for those re-entering society and could use your help.

In your experience, besides a mobile device, what would help you successfully manage your finances upon reentry? No wrong answer. I'm looking for a brainstorm of words, features, thoughts, tools, programs, etc... whatever you can think of.

• sex
  • age or age range
  • education level

Thanks!

Shannon
Hi Shannon,
I am a former inmate, served 7.5 years Federal. Im also male, 60 with a bachelors degree.

By far, the most critical thing financially for a former inmate is to obtain employment immediately after release. I worked with hundreds of inmates while incarcerated developing short resumes to aid them in finding employment. I also taught classes on writing business plans and technology. If youre developing an app, one of the best features to include would be a simple worksheet for listing work experience, dates, locations, etc. to aid in filling out job applications. Many, many inmates I worked with had little or no work experience other than their prison jobs. A budgeting worksheet for monthly expenses would also be useful.

Many but not all inmates, especially those who have been incarcerated for long periods are not at all functional with the technology of a smart phone much less with apps. That said, an app with built in links to many very basic tutorials on technology might be super helpful. Good luck!
Old 07-21-2019, 02:54 PM

Thanks for the feedback guys! Very helpful and much appreciated : )
The Following User Says Thank You to hett89 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (07-21-2019)
Old 07-21-2019, 03:23 PM

Thanked 1,827 Times in 732 Posts

Quote:
Hi all,

• sex
  • age or age range
  • education level

Thanks!

Shannon

I am the mother of a formerly incarcerated loved one. Your idea is an interesting one. Have you tried reaching out to any of the TX advocacy/ reentry groups for help or answers to your questions? They have real life experiences of their members to share that you might find helpful.
Many people being released have been away for years & so much has changed with technology. Just the other day my son got a letter from Chase Bank saying that the branch he uses will be "teller-less". Only ATM & new account personnel. That will be a change for a lot of people to deal with.
Good luck with your project!
Old 07-21-2019, 06:10 PM

I've reached out to a couple nonprofits and haven't heard back yet. I'm sure they're protective over their organization/clients. Maybe, I should send a follow-up email?

I'm happy I found this forum and grateful for yours and the other feedback I've received! Thank you!
Old 07-21-2019, 06:32 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 22,517 Times in 12,966 Posts

My experience in federal prison was that nothing helpful for reentering society was ever taught there. If you didn't have the knowledge before incarceration, you definitely didn't upon release.

I completed the 18 month residential, reentry, faith based, "Life Connections Program". It was all about religion, and not much about reentry. It was the only "release preparation" classes I was offered by the bop. The financial "training" like everything else was targeted at folks who had virtually no formal education. There was a class on "how to write a check" as an example. My question "what if I can't spell two?" Goodwill Industries taught a few "job application/resume classes" which actually were pertinent. Other than that we wrote Haiku poems and studied the Bible.

The way the bop, and many other prison systems operate, computers are evil, so inmates have no access to them, and definitely no training in how much impact they now have on everyday life, especially in the workplace. Your AP idea is promising, and I hope successful.
Old 07-26-2019, 05:43 PM

Did you have any access to technology while in prison? Could you send emails?
Thanks so much for sharing your experience and thoughts! I appreciate it!
Old 07-26-2019, 05:57 PM
PTO Administrator

Donation Award 

Federal facilities do have email, through Corrlinks. I'm not sure how long they've had email. Most (though not all) states' facilities have email through jpay, Securus, or some other provider.

patchouli, PTO Admin

hett89 (07-26-2019)
Old 07-26-2019, 05:58 PM

Default What would help prisoners better prepare for reentry?

Hi guys! I'm working on a reentry app and could use help brainstorming ideas. If you could spare a minute to help that would be great!

In 60 seconds, please list all the things you can think of that would help prisoners better prepare for reentry.

Please also let me know your age, gender, years in prison.
Old 07-26-2019, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchouli View Post
Federal facilities do have email, through Corrlinks. I'm not sure how long they've had email. Most (though not all) states' facilities have email through jpay, Securus, or some other provider.
Is that how most inmates communicate? Via email? Are they allowed to own tablets?
Old 07-26-2019, 06:21 PM
PTO Administrator

Donation Award 

Some states are getting tablets, I think most already have mp3 players.

patchouli, PTO Admin

Old 07-27-2019, 05:05 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 22,517 Times in 12,966 Posts

Also, not every federal inmate is allowed access to email, each warden decides.
Old 07-27-2019, 12:04 PM

FCI Ashland (federal) had MP3 players and email starting in 2013 or so. Access to technology varies greatly between facilities. In addition to email and MP3’s, Ashland had a computer lab with full access to Microsoft Office and ran quite a few courses that allowed inmates to use the programs. Of course, true internet access was nowhere to be found!
Old 07-30-2019, 07:34 PM

Default Can anyone help w a card sort?:

Thanks for the feedback!

I'm looking for former prisoners to help with a card sort. Just copy the blue URL below and paste and paste into your browser, answer a couple questions, then group the information as you see fit. No right or wrong answer and should take no more than 10 minutes.

[ur-l]https://ows.io/os/p487izz6[/ur-l]

Thanks

Shannon

Last edited by hett89; 07-30-2019 at 07:46 PM..
Old 08-02-2019, 08:34 AM

Improved card sort exercise if anyone can do it: [ur-l]https://ows.io/os/wg0hw6e4[/ur-l]

Takes about 10 minutes; easiest to do on desktop, laptop, or tablet. Anonymous and no wrong answer! If anyone has additional feedback, please let me know if the comments.

**in no way shape or form am i benefiting financially for this study. it's for a college class and because i believe those coming out of prison should be set up for success and not back into the same situation with the same tools that got them into prison in the first place**
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hett89 For This Useful Post:
408MoonGem (09-14-2019), fbopnomore (08-03-2019), patchouli (08-02-2019)
Old 08-02-2019, 07:55 PM
PTO Administrator

Donation Award 

I didn't get a chance to do the first card sort, but the 2nd one is done Somethings could have gone into more than one category...maybe different levels (ex. beginner & Intermediate), one in one category and one in another

patchouli, PTO Admin

hett89 (08-03-2019)
Old 08-03-2019, 07:51 AM

Thank you so much for doing it and thank you so much for the feedback!
The Following User Says Thank You to hett89 For This Useful Post:
patchouli (08-03-2019)
Old 08-11-2019, 12:42 PM

Hi again!

I could use some help with a five minute card sort for the app, if you can spare the time or are bored It's cool, if ya can't. I understand that your goal in coming to prisontalk isn't what I'm asking but get the resources/support you need for yourself and/or a loved one.

Appreciate all the thoughts and feedback so far.

[ur-l]https://ows.io/os/701bc332[/ur-l]

Takes about 5-10 minutes; easiest to do on desktop, laptop, or tablet. Anonymous and no wrong answer! If anyone has additional feedback, please let me know if the comments.
Old 09-14-2019, 11:16 AM
OMG, he's getting out!

Quote:
Hi again!

I could use some help with a five minute card sort for the app, if you can spare the time or are bored It's cool, if ya can't. I understand that your goal in coming to prisontalk isn't what I'm asking but get the resources/support you need for yourself and/or a loved one.

Appreciate all the thoughts and feedback so far.

[ur-l]https://ows.io/os/701bc332[/ur-l]

Takes about 5-10 minutes; easiest to do on desktop, laptop, or tablet. Anonymous and no wrong answer! If anyone has additional feedback, please let me know if the comments.
-Ex felon - served time
-Female
-39 years old
-Husband is about to be released after serving 20 years - this thread caught my attention and this link lead me to a page which ended up feeling like a game / quiz.

After reading the instruction, and dragging items from the list on the left side of the screen into the board or file categorizes in the middle, I immediately felt like I was taking a test, but realized how useful this will be for my husband to use, he has not touched a cell phone in 2 decades.

Now, I'm on the hunt for smartphone tutorials that hubby could use before unpackaging his 1st smart-phone

Thank you, keep up the good work and make those mountains move!
The Following User Says Thank You to 408MoonGem For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (09-14-2019)
Old 09-19-2019, 10:18 PM
His Girl ❤️

Quote:
Originally Posted by 408MoonGem View Post

Now, I'm on the hunt for smartphone tutorials that hubby could use before unpackaging his 1st smart-phone

Thank you, keep up the good work and make those mountains move!
When you find some can you post a list or send it to me? My guy has never used a smart phone or texted. I have an old iPhone that I'm going to give him to use but he's gonna look at it like a deer in headlights. When he found out that Google makes phones now, he was like what the eff?!

I told him I took a picture of something and he was all oh on your fancy camera phone? And I was like yes, my camera phone.

One of these days I'll start using his first initial. It's so much easier.