Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > World Prison News
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

World Prison News Post info (IF it doesn't belong in another PTO forum) about the prison system, prisoner support, criminal justice, etc., that you learn firsthand, through the media, from an inmate, or any other source. News can be local, state, Federal, or int'l.

Old 12-07-2018, 04:30 PM
Carolina traveler

Thanked 3,385 Times in 2,370 Posts
Default Who’s really bringing contraband into jails?

Who’s really bringing contraband into jails? Our 2018 survey confirms it’s staff, not visitors

"Sheriffs are increasingly welcoming video calling technology into their jails, with more than 500 local jails now contracting with video calling providers like GTL and Securus. Usually, sheriffs simultaneously do away with in-person visits, despite studies showing that they are crucial for maintaining family bonds.

To ward off claims that this is just a money-grubbing scheme, sheriffs invoke the argument that doing away with face-to-face visits “increase[s] the safety and security of our facilities,” presumably by stopping contraband brought in by jail visitors."

https://www.prisonpolicy.org/blog/20...3VF5aYE5_SoXNE
gvalliant (12-07-2018), Sarianna (12-09-2018)
Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-2018, 04:36 PM
Crazy Cajun Super Moderator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member PTO Super Moderator 

Donation Award 

Thanked 18,307 Times in 7,153 Posts

Well, I look at it this way. If Sheriff's cut all "in person" visits and they are still finding contraband, then there's only one way it's coming in. DUH!!

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to LifeTraveler For This Useful Post:
choclgs (12-07-2018), gvalliant (12-07-2018), jaeswife419 (12-08-2018), KiwiPP (12-10-2018), miamac (12-07-2018), MizzyMuffling (12-10-2018), Sarianna (12-09-2018), sass4221 (12-07-2018), sidewalker (12-08-2018)
Old 12-09-2018, 12:09 PM

As a CO I will tell people this. Inmates have many ways of introducing contraband.

Staff is only one of them.

I've caught visitors passing drugs during a visit.

We have also busted more than one staff member. Sometimes its a small operation of a pack or two of cigarettes or a small parcel of drugs.

I've also seen whole operations go down where the staff is in charge of a warehouse and a lot goes through them.

I've also seen people just walk up to our fence and shoot a package over the fence with one of those air gun that people use in sports games to launch t-shirts into crowds.

Right now we have a problem with drones that fly in and drop packages.

There are many ways and they are all different based on the facility. They find a way.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bikerguy For This Useful Post:
choclgs (12-10-2018), KiwiPP (12-10-2018), miamac (12-09-2018), sidewalker (12-10-2018)
Old 12-09-2018, 12:21 PM

Thanked 2,728 Times in 1,286 Posts

Babies diapers and kids shoes I have seen.

When they move to all virtual visits it does narrow the field considerably. I was looking up CO requirements last night. On the federal level, they check their debt ratio because if they owe too much out they wont get hired due to be susceptible to bribes.

Here they just have to pass a test. They dont need a high school diploma or a GED. Different states..different rules
Small towns and they need the work to survive because there is not much out there otherwise.

The problem will never be solved. More incentives for good behavior will help, but there will always be people looking to skirt the rules. It is human nature. We believe more rules make us safer, but in reality many people feel stifled. Think of the teenage mentality. Their brains are hard wired to cross boundaries as they try to make sense of the world.

Humans dont live cookie cutter lives. We dont fit in a box. Some people live off of the adrenaline rush of the possible consequences.

Again, ways to remedy, but probably never fix entirely. If someone wants something bad enough, they will find a way. And in ways, 99% of other people never even thought of.

If only they could channel that energy for good.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to onedayatatime13 For This Useful Post:
choclgs (12-10-2018), KiwiPP (12-10-2018)
Old 12-09-2018, 12:41 PM
Owned

Thanked 4,014 Times in 1,835 Posts

https://www.thestate.com/news/local/...222449820.html
Old 12-10-2018, 05:29 AM
Carolina traveler

Thanked 3,385 Times in 2,370 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by safran View Post
Since April when the riot happened at Lee, there have been more broadcast of "contraband" and "cell phones" arrests here than I remember in 20+ years. I feel this is more because it was a big state election year and to appease the public. I'm not impressed. Prior to all of this, it was the system was in dire need of officers to stop contraband and so forth. Well they received more than enough state funding to do that and nothing changed in 2018, it's worse. The problem here sadly is not contraband, they do more to address what's going on internally and end the statewide 23-hour lockdown.
fbopnomore (12-10-2018)