Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CONNECTICUT > Connecticut Prison & Criminal Justice News & Events
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Connecticut Prison & Criminal Justice News & Events Current news items and information on events related to the Connecticut prison and criminal justice systems.

Old 04-03-2010, 02:10 PM

Default Solitary confinement

On April 11, 2010, on the National Geographic channel they are airing a show on solitary confinement.

I am not on the site long enough to have learned how things are posted and I haven't gotten a feel for how the connecticut residents get their news, but here is something that applies to every state.

Renay
Old 04-03-2010, 04:35 PM

You intrigued me so I actually googled to learn a bit about what they are doing and in addition to the show which starts in a little over a week, they are actually "testing" 3 different people to see if they can handle a week in solitary. You can watch them thru a live feed at the link below. The test is to see if they can make a week. They are allowed to tweet messages as well as get one hour a day for solitary exercise.

http://channel.nationalgeographic.co...nement-cell-2/
Old 04-03-2010, 05:10 PM

Hi browneyed girl.. I hope that you get a chance to read my other posts... I really want to post as much as I can on this site.. as I look around, there really isn't as much info as I thought, and I hope the things i post are helpful, and I also hope that it kind of brings people to this connecticut forum more often. Once my loved on gets to Conn I hope to be able to get involved with "something" (criminal justice reform, family support group.. just something). I can see that making the transition to Conn is going to be really hard. Like going from the pot into the fire.

Renay
Old 04-03-2010, 05:13 PM

And yes, this looks like it could be interesting.. and will probably cause alot of anxiety for who ever is watching who really doesn't understand what incarceration is really about.. forget what solidary confinement might be like.
Old 04-11-2010, 08:40 PM

Did any of you guys watch this show? Overall, I found it heartbreaking. I also found it appalling that someone can be in solitary for YEARS. No human contact, no visits, nothing and then dumped onto the streets. I don't understand how they (especially those at the CSP where this was filmed) can think this system works when you have one man in there who went in with 12 years and has managed to add another 96 years onto his sentence. He has been in solitary for 13 years. It's sickening to me.

When the warden herself can say she doesn't think any of us could live by these rules without breaking them, but then in the next breath tells she believes in this system and also reminds us how each rule they break they lose privledges and in some cases get additional time--it just reminds how idiotic some people truly can be.
Old 04-11-2010, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browneyed girl View Post
Did any of you guys watch this show? Overall, I found it heartbreaking. I also found it appalling that someone can be in solitary for YEARS. No human contact, no visits, nothing and then dumped onto the streets. I don't understand how they (especially those at the CSP where this was filmed) can think this system works when you have one man in there who went in with 12 years and has managed to add another 96 years onto his sentence. He has been in solitary for 13 years. It's sickening to me.

When the warden herself can say she doesn't think any of us could live by these rules without breaking them, but then in the next breath tells she believes in this system and also reminds us how each rule they break they lose privledges and in some cases get additional time--it just reminds how idiotic some people truly can be.
I had forgotten to watch the show but I'm recording the midnight show and will watch it after work tomorrow. Thanks for the reminder...

Philippians 4:13
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."