Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > Juvenile
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Juvenile Discussion of everything related to minors in the criminal justice system: juvenile detention, courts, rights, and family support.

Old 12-08-2005, 10:13 AM

jenlynn,

Honey there is only so many places he may be. How many juvenile facilities are there in your area? Have you tried calling there yourself? Its easy I think it is here anyways. You should also be able to look it up online if you want you can in Washington state. If you PM me the info I will try and help you if you cant figure it out for yourself.
Old 12-08-2005, 10:19 AM

RickZwife,

All I can say is stand by him. Its so hard for them feeling all alone. I know its hard on us too. I have been doing this for a long time. First, with my man and now sadly, my son. He is also 17. Doing 2.5 years. All he wants is people to be there. Cards and letters go a long way in these situations. And they come to mean so much to us also. Its not an easy road but its worth it. You will find a lot of love and support here at PTO. PM me anytime you need to talk.
Old 12-12-2005, 10:25 PM

I'm Laura. I have a 17-year-old friend who's been in prison since September. We met in May on a psych ward and she made a huge difference in my life. I hope I can make a difference in hers by supporting her while she's in.
Old 12-14-2005, 11:01 AM

Thats a great attitude! That is what they really need is support. Everyone needs to know people care and love and support goes a long ways for them!!!!
Old 12-19-2005, 10:57 AM

Default CYA reform MY ASS HOW ABOUT CLASS IN GANG AFFILIATION

I have a son in CYA I miss him so much my heart hurts daily.. I feel he will come out worse then when he went in...I am looking to chronicle his story maybe to help another family not have to go through this..
Old 01-04-2006, 12:33 PM

It is so hard I know, nothing will be right until Josh is finally home. It will be longer now as they have charged him with a new crime attempted escape 1st degree and are trying him as an adult on this one. He will be 18 in April.
Old 01-13-2006, 07:17 PM

I have friend that is locked up and he is 16 and his friend shot somebody and paralyzed them and he took the fall for him and now he is in lock up for I think about 19 years and I have no idea where hes locked up at I know its in Kansas and his first and last name but I dont know how to get ahold of him or get information on him Can someone please help me?
Old 02-20-2006, 02:12 PM

hi my name is Walter and I hope someone out there can help me with information. Information about the South Carolina juvenile system would be best but right now I am desperate for any thing. I am living with someone that has a 13 year old daughter that thinks the juvenile system is just a vacation spot where the cool kids go. I have tried reason, logic, money gifts, books, the school, and everything I can think of to encourage good behavior. We recently learned that her mom has cancer so at some point I will be responsible for her totaly. While her mom is still able we have decided to turn our home into a juvenile facility or as close as we can simulate one. I have lots of questions and very few answers. For instance what does the state supply and in what quanties, like clothes, tooth paste, shampoo, towels bed linen, money. How often are these items replinshed and at whoes expense. Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance

Last edited by wmfloyd007; 02-20-2006 at 02:17 PM..
Old 02-20-2006, 04:38 PM

My name is Andrea, I'm 18 from Arkansas. I'm a juvenile justice advocate and a member of Justice for Juveniles and Kids In Court. I'm deeply opposed to trying juveniles in adult courts and am ashamed that we do it so frequently in this country. Together we can all make a difference for these teenagers.
The Following User Says Thank You to andreamae05 For This Useful Post:
ccgma (05-31-2008)
Old 03-28-2006, 10:00 PM

I need help....my 14 yr. old granddaughter thinks she wants to go to Juvinelle...this is in Texas....I have never been involed in the correctional system and don't know exactly what to tell her....this is not a joke or prank...this child is serious...I get the idea she thinks it is a vacation...please respond...Thanks...
Old 03-30-2006, 10:10 AM
Uh...Yeah...

She will surely find out that it is not!!! My son went in the system three years ago...and we are still trying to get him clean, sober and behaving. If she thinks its going to be a vacation...take her to the probation officer in your area for youth and explain that to them. They may have a "free trial" for her.
Good luck!
Old 05-16-2006, 01:01 PM

Default Hello, I am new to these forums.......

I am new to these forums, actually any forums. I don't really know much about how they work. I am visiting this site because I have a 17 year old daughter that has been getting in progressively worse and worse trouble and she is currently being held in a JDC and may even end up being charged as an adult and go to prison. I have never been through this kind of thing before. It is so hard. I thought maybe getting a chance to hear from others in similar situations would be helpful. I feel like I have lost her completely. Please keep her in your prayers.
Old 05-17-2006, 05:47 PM
Uh...Yeah...

Welcome Lighthouselady!!! I am sorry to hear about your daughter. You will get exactly that and more out here on PTO. Look around. Check out your own state (kansas) forum and do some searches of your own with the PTO search engine. Its fantastic!! You will find people who have experienced exactly what you have. Others who have been where your daughter is. You will even make some friends. I guarantee it. Ive been here for two full years now because my son is in the juvenile justice system and have come full tilt, tilted sideways and am now in the process of getting myself on the right track after breaking down over my sons problems.
Good luck to you and your daughter. Enjoy all the loving and understanding people out here on PTO and...PM me if you need to talk.
Old 05-19-2006, 09:58 PM

Default Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreamae05
My name is Andrea, I'm 18 from Arkansas. I'm a juvenile justice advocate and a member of Justice for Juveniles and Kids In Court. I'm deeply opposed to trying juveniles in adult courts and am ashamed that we do it so frequently in this country. Together we can all make a difference for these teenagers.

I agree, my son was tried under his newest charge as an adult so as soon as he is done with his juvenile sentence he has to go to the adult system. Its crazy!
Old 05-26-2006, 06:56 PM

My son was picked up at the age of 17, had his 18th b-day in a county jail, and by the Grace of God will be home in 18 days!! If it weren't for SAI his release date would have been 2/2008. He started in trouble at the age of 17 and was picked up and incarcerated at the age of 17 1/2. All I can say to all friends and family........Never give up Hope. I know that with past history for some it is hard to do but there is always hope. Support, love, and letters will help.

Proverbs 30:5 NLT
Old 05-26-2006, 08:56 PM

If they are 16 or above, even younger in some states, area's with previous they are waved into adult court most of the time and will serve an adult sentence. Sorry to be so blunt but it is true. My heart goes out to you all.
Old 05-26-2006, 09:01 PM

Bookie,

My son on his first arrest, 17, no priors, was charged as an adult. I wonder though if they charged him as a juvenile would he be alive today? I believe, deep in my soul, that he was caught and incarcerated to save his life.

Old 05-27-2006, 05:58 PM
Always Waiting

hello everybody, I'm 17 almost 18 and my boyfriend has been in juvy for about 2 months now, hopefully only one left to go. I think I am handling it pretty good, the main thing I hate is that I can't go see him because I'm not "family". but I would like to give some advice to anyone new to the same kind of situation I'm in. when you're in a situation where you can't visit them, it's important to keep in touch with the communication you CAN do. Try to write them as much as possible, if his/her facility lets them have pictures they help them a lot too (my boyfriends will, they just can't have any kind of nudity(their under 18 anyway!) and they can't have middle fingers, gang related signs, or peace signs(wow). Next option there usually is would be calling. In my case he can only call my house phone, and they're collect, and it's $11.25 for 15 minutes(and that's all you get a day), I only except the calls 3 nights a week because of the price, but if they call on a night you can't except the call, if when you answer(like if you have caller ID mine says "out of area" so i know it's him) you can get a quick message to him (like "I love you" or "I miss you"). and do be careful of how much the charges you're rackin up are, mine so far is well over $200, so majority of my money from graduation is going there!). Lastly, there's the home-passes, where they can earn 24 or 48 hour "home-stays" so if he/she gets one of those, make sure if at all possible to go down there with their parent when they go to get them, or at least go see them at their house. My last bit of advice is, no matter how depressed or lonely you are when they call, or when you're writing them, try not to let it show, it just depresses them even more(This is coming from experience!) it's okay to say that you miss them and wanna see them but if you go too much more than that you'll upset them. I hope this is helpful to at least someone. My only regret is that I wish I would have found this site earlier, because from what I've read everyone is really helpful and understanding, so feel free to talk to me, and I look forward to being a part of this site.
~lauren~

Last edited by roxyq662; 05-27-2006 at 06:01 PM..
Old 06-10-2006, 01:29 AM
LOVE'S SO CRAZY

hi well when i was 15 i went thru a troble making strage n i got senced as an adult i did 2 years state it was horeable i mean i knew ppl but it sucks if she does good luck but you only loose your child commpletly if you let go n give up hope completlly

As the word is truning
keep learning
am on my own now
Its just me against the world
with my baby girl
Am going 2 make it
am gonna do it
4 my little angel
with her

Theres nothing to it

Old 06-10-2006, 07:48 PM

I never give up even on my sons friends. I will be there for them always but doesn't mean that I bail them out. Tough love SUCKS! Good luck!

Old 07-15-2006, 10:27 AM

Default new here too....

Hi Everyone! I'm new to this site but maybe not so new to the juvenile justice system. My son, who is 16 now, has finally landed a "real" sentence in the Ohio juvenile department of corrections. I've read through your posts and feel your pain and confusion and hurt. It's good to know I'm not alone and that all the emotional ups and downs are normal. My DH and I have been jumping through hoops for the Ohio juvenile system for well over 3 years now. We are on a first name basis with most of the office staff at the local youth detention facility and all the prob officers. My son, Kevin, is a good boy when he's not high on weed. I just can't seem to break through to him that this is NOT tolerated or allowed or acceptable! When he is using he is aggresive and confrontational. His last charges got him a felony DV (since he's a repeat offender) with 6 months minimum in the Ohio correctional facility. He is over three hours away from us now and visitation is VERY hard to do. I have horrible thoughts and images going through my head all the time but this site has helped alot! We finally saw him for the first time this week and he is whole and in one piece and not broken or bleeding. BUT...he also is not (from what I understand) getting the help and counceling the courts lead us to beleive he would get. DH and I have tried every program available in our area for drug and anger management. So far we seem to be stuck. NOTHING impresses him anymore. And getting information on what is happening and how he is doing is next to impossible! I just wish there was more communication with the parents. My son has tons of patience. He can ride out a sentence like an angel (the staff love him) and then come home with the same attitude he went in with. As much as he is where I think he will get the most help and maybe learn a few things right now, it is tearing me apart inside to know I, his mom, put him there! He now has a record with his DNA onfile to follow him around through his adult life and the guilt is ripping me apart. Thanks for making a site just for juveniles that lets us know there's others out there who feel just as we do! Many Thanks!
Old 07-16-2006, 09:53 AM

Dark,

The hardest thing for us parents to understand is that we did the best we could. We do not tell our children to go out and do drugs, steal stuff, drink, etc. We do what we can. Guilt is not what you need. Knowing that he is safe and isn't using should comfort you. The counseling will probably take time. I hope that he learns some things while he is there. My son went to prison at the age of 18, he turned 18 in county jail. I myself took him to turn himself in..........no it didn't feel good at all. I knew though that if he didn't go in he would be running forever and continue on the path. Even though I took him the first time and he was put on probation he still managed to mess it up and prison was his sentence. They moved him 10 hours away and I didn't see him while he was in prison. He was bless with boot camp and spent almost a year incarcerated. He is out as I type this but it is his choice to get it right. I wish you luck and send you prayers. God Bless

Old 07-17-2006, 06:49 AM

Default Thanks...

Good Morning Everyone.

Thanks so much for the warm welcome. You all have no idea just how much it helps to know you're all here!
Old 09-19-2006, 07:20 PM

Default Hello, Everyone

My name is Heather. I have a 16 year old son who was recently sent to the State Training School in Eldora Iowa. The judge sentenced him to 6 months, but the JCO is telling me it will probably by 8 months. They don't want to transition him back into our school system with only 2 months of the school year to go.
He is a good kid who is making very stupid choices. I don't know how much of his behavior is directly related to the choice of friends he has had lately. And how much of it may be related to substance abuse. I am not a naive mom, I just want so much to believe in my kid.
He was on probation last year for assaulting me and his younger brother. He served almost a year on probation without any trouble. About 2 months after he was released from probation, he and another boy he works with decided to take the deposit from the place they work instead of putting it in the bank. It was almost $700 that they took. I believe that charge was an aggravated misdemeanor. He was sentenced to probation and had to attend a day treatment program. About 2 weeks after he started the day treatment program, he snuck out of our house and met up with another boy he knows. The two of them broke into a business in the town we live in and stole about $2,000 worth of electronic equipment. This time it was a felony.
I just don't know what to do. It has taken me a very long time to realize he is where he is because of the choices he has made, not anything I did or did not do for him.
I have received quite a few 4-5 page letters from him in the last few weeks. He seems like he is doing well and trying really hard to make the program work for him.
Is it wrong of me to still be worried about what's going to happen when he is released? His biological father has not had any contact with him since he was transported to the State Training School, although he did visit him when he was in the Detention Center for about a month. My husband is not very supportive either. He has neither visited the Detention Center nor the Training School. I feel like I am in a constant battle with my husband. My first priority is to be a mom and protect my son. It's very hard not to feel very angry at him for not being supportive. I know we were "burned" by my son pretty badly, but it's about time to move on, I think. He can't make the changes if my husband is not willing to give him a chance. I just don't know what to do. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 09-20-2006, 09:05 AM

Kyle's Mom,

I feel like you are living the life that I have/am living. My dh did support me to a point while my son was "in". There were many times that we fought about my son...even fought about his release. The one thing that my dh and I agreed to do before discussing my son was pray before we discussed him. My dh did visit him while he was in. He did accompany me most of the time when I went for his court stuff. When it came time for my son's release my dh remodeled a room for him to stay in.

As far as being burned by your son there is something called forgiveness. It isn't easy to forgive all the time but for you, your son, and your dh it is something that needs to be done. Once your dh forgives it will make his load much lighter for his own sake.

Fears of release and what your son will do once he is out.....I know that all to well. The way I get by day to day is prayer. I pray that he is lead to do the right thing. I pray for his salvation. My son has to do the right thing and I can't think about the "what if's" It makes life miserable once we do that. Once I start the "what if" game I have to make an effort to stop and pray and know that God is in control. I hope this helped you. I am proof that you can get through this season. BTW my son went in when he was 17, spent about a year (to include county jail, prison, and bootcamp), he got his GED, and is out on parole now.

God Bless