Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FLORIDA > Florida General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Florida General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Florida that do not fit into any other Florida subforum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 08-10-2019, 11:29 AM

Default [FL] LO was being extorted for money - now in PC

Hello,

I just wanted some advice / comments regarding our issue. I've been a lurker and reading a lot of horrible stories online, but made an account just for this. Long post.

A little background on my LO: He is in there for something he didn't do, but the justice system failed him, but just wants to get his time done. This hurts the family even more.

We have a former inmate friend who gave him a lot of advice. We also researched stuff before hand and gave in advice on what NOT to do in prison (debts, make friends, give info, etc.)

He is not a fighter, and looks real friendly. We do fund him quite a bit, to make his stay bearable, so he probably might have been a target. Which we know happened here.

A timeline of what happened (Part I):

Aug 4: LO called his mom from a contraband phone to add an inmate in Jpay to wire money. It was rejected because the bank flagged is as fraud. I found this out later in the week:

Aug 7: I get a call while at work (I don't answer unknown numbers) so a voicemail was left. It was my LO saying he needs to Western him money because he wants to buy something he really wants. There was another guy talking in the background.

I immediately knew something was wrong. I told him not to call me from a contraband phone, and he said he was going to spend frugally. Also stated that he doesn't need so much stuff because he won't be there for too long. My stomach just turned.

About three minutes later, he called his sister from the same phone, and left a voicemail as well, to tell me to answer the phone later that night because he was going to call again.

At this point, his sister and I were exchanging messages regarding the situation. We both read articles and watch docus about prison, and this seemed like one of them. We were right.

In between the day, LO told someone (whiteshirt) asking to be placed in PC, and he explained the situation. They tried to make him do a report, and give names, but he refused, due to the snitches get stitches stigma. He feared for his life.

He got moved to another dorm instead. Later that day, he called his mom, and confirmed what was happening:
  1. His tablet got stolen while being charged. They hacked it somehow. We are assuming that they got his password while he logged in a kiosk to do a video visitation.
  2. They cornered him in his cell on the way to kitchen duty. His cellmate was there too.
  3. He was being extorted for money. He told his mom, if he ever calls from a contraband phone, call for help.
  4. He told his mom he felt safer being moved to another dorm. We were relieved at this point.
But unfortunately it's not over.

A timeline of what happened (Part II):

Aug 9: I received a call from the contraband phone. My stomach turned. They got to him again, on his way probably to kitchen duty. This time, he was asking for more money to send to a [someone's name] through Western Union. I was at work so I had really good excuses to give my LO more time, especially because my boss was there.

I called his sister, and told her that she needs to call the facility and try to find LO, while I call Tallahassee IG and inform them about the extortion situation as well.

Tal IG, made a report on it (email) and forwarded it to the Facility where my LO is (I'm cced in the email). They gave me the direct number to the warden, and I called. The warden was a bit surprised why I have that number. But I explained the situation. He told me they deployed guards to look for him. That's what they also told sister.

At this point, my phone was being constantly called, and I didn't answer because now, my boss is looking at me. They started to text me, and I was able to respond to some of them. My boss was on to me.

About almost an hour later, they found him and took him to PC to be interrogated. We know that he won't name names. They told us they can't do anything if he doesn't name names. But he's in there until the investigation is finished. They said they will update us on Monday.

Our fears and issues
  1. He is now a target for both the inmates and the facility.
    • By calling the IG, I think we made them look bad. Having contraband phones, and having extortion issues, etc. We fear that this is going to be one of those cases where it's going to turn out for the worst. And there's nothing we can do about it...
    • With us doing this, will be labeled a snitch anyway?
  2. He is diabetic, and we did mention it in our correspondence. It's especially worse whenever he is stressed. Further makes us scared that this might turn out for the worst...
  3. He will not give names due to the snitch stigma. And right now, we are reluctant to give it too. I did give the name of the person they mentioned to send the money to. With that being said, we did mention that:
    • They can reference the call to his mom on Aug 4. because a name was mentioned.
    • Look at the cameras, it should have shown who stole the tablet right?
    • Cameras on the cell, where the first call was made.
    • His cellmate knows who they are too.
  4. Moving dorms didn't really help him. They got to him again.
  5. If they have access to the tablet, our info has been compromised.
What now?
  • Did we do the right thing?
  • Should we expect the worst?
  • What do we do now? He can't be in PC forever right? Can we ask for him to get transferred.
  • I don't fully trust the "investigation" due to a lot of horror stories flying around..
Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-2019, 01:30 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 35,584 Times in 16,373 Posts

Hi....first things first: if that's your real name, click on my user name to send me a private message (pm). You need a new user name

I'm sorry that your son has gotten in this situation and I understand your fear & frustration. He can request a transfer & stay in pc until it comes through. And yes, he can do his entire in The Hole, but let's hope it doesn't come to that.

Are you positive he's being extorted? What are the chances that he owes money he can't pay for something else (drugs, gambling)? Drugs are easy to get in prison and from what I've been told, there's a wide variety available. Yeah, I know, it would still be the same fear & frustration.

As difficult as it may be, for him and for you, he really needs to handle his own business.

Inmates know where the cameras are and know how / where to stay out of the lens.

Quote:
He is now a target for both the inmates and the facility.
  • By calling the IG, I think we made them look bad. Having contraband phones, and having extortion issues, etc. We fear that this is going to be one of those cases where it's going to turn out for the worst. And there's nothing we can do about it...
Not all inmates, and, IMHO, not by the facility. You can't make FDOC look any worse than they already do....and they've done it to themselves. Contraband phones and extortion issues (or worse) were there before your son got there and exist in every facility in every state, in every country.

He can stay in pc and hope for a quick transfer; he can name names, stay in pc and hope for a quick transfer; or he can go back to his cell, keep a low profile, keep his nose clean and stand up for himself (fight). And ya'll can stop sending him so much money.

Others may have opinions different than mine and may have solutions/ answers different than mine.

Welcome to PTO.

patchouli, PTO Admin

Last edited by patchouli; 08-10-2019 at 01:33 PM..
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
Itshardtowait (08-11-2019), keywii (08-10-2019), miamac (08-10-2019), Ms Sunny (08-21-2019), stuckRings2019 (08-10-2019)
Old 08-10-2019, 03:24 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 22,467 Times in 12,940 Posts

Since the crooks are trying to get you to wire money to their outside contacts, you are being extorted as well. You can contact your local police and/or Florida Department of Law Enforcement, FDLE.
http://www.fdle.state.fl.us/

Hopefully someone will take it more seriously than the FLDOC Ombudsman did.

Another possibility is that their crime is also likely to be one of the 3000 financial crimes investigated by the FBI.
https://www.fbi.gov/contact-us/field-offices
Old 08-10-2019, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchouli View Post

I'm sorry that your son has gotten in this situation and I understand your fear & frustration. He can request a transfer & stay in pc until it comes through. And yes, he can do his entire in The Hole, but let's hope it doesn't come to that.
Thank you! We are not able to communicate with him except for mail, and his tablet got stolen, and if we do receive a message, we don't know if it's him. He might not know about requesting a transfer. The first time this happened, he did ask for PC, but he got moved dorms instead, but they got to him again.

Quote:

Are you positive he's being extorted? What are the chances that he owes money he can't pay for something else (drugs, gambling)? Drugs are easy to get in prison and from what I've been told, there's a wide variety available. Yeah, I know, it would still be the same fear & frustration.

100% Positive on this one. He's not a druggie, and gambler. Before he went to prison, he was prepped by one of our friends who used to be an inmate about what not to do in prison. (Don't owe anybody, don't give to anybody, nobody is your friend, etc., etc.)

When he got moved to that dorm he stated it was hell ever since. This never happened to his previous dorms (reception / overflow dorms).

He has never asked for money, especially not in high amounts. And just recently told us, he will spend frugally, so we don't have to send much. And stressed that he doesn't need much stuff because he's not in there for long.

I mean, they hacked his tablet, and contacted the ones who were sending him money.

And the brief moment he made the call to his mom, he said that we were right, he was being extorted, and they were going to ask every week.

Quote:

As difficult as it may be, for him and for you, he really needs to handle his own business.

Totally agree on this one. I want him to be able to defend himself or something, but he really is a guy who has never been in a fight his entire life. He's a gentle soul

Quote:

Inmates know where the cameras are and know how / where to stay out of the lens.

Well, that sucks. I would think they would have a camera pointing to the charging docks..

Quote:

Not all inmates, and, IMHO, not by the facility. You can't make FDOC look any worse than they already do....and they've done it to themselves. Contraband phones and extortion issues (or worse) were there before your son got there and exist in every facility in every state, in every country.

He can stay in pc and hope for a quick transfer; he can name names, stay in pc and hope for a quick transfer; or he can go back to his cell, keep a low profile, keep his nose clean and stand up for himself (fight). And ya'll can stop sending him so much money.

That's what we want, we want him to get transferred ASAP. I heard faith based camps are 'better' with violence and what not. And he has mostly kept to himself according to him.

And I slightly disagree on you on not sending him money. We had this fear before, but we wanted his prison life to be as decent as possible. Without talking about his case, he does not belong in prison, and he is innocent of the charges he has, but the justice system fails sometimes.

He always minded his own business.

Quote:
Welcome to PTO.

Thanks!
The Following User Says Thank You to stuckRings2019 For This Useful Post:
patchouli (08-10-2019)
Old 08-10-2019, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbopnomore View Post
Since the crooks are trying to get you to wire money to their outside contacts, you are being extorted as well. You can contact your local police and/or Florida Department of Law Enforcement, FDLE.

Hopefully someone will take it more seriously than the FLDOC Ombudsman did.

Another possibility is that their crime is also likely to be one of the 3000 financial crimes investigated by the FBI.

Thanks! Is it true even if they made it appear (on the call that my LO was forced to make) that it was my LO asking for money because he wanted to "close this deal?"

LO told his mom that they were threatening him and outside family too. Prison Gang possibly has our info as well (names, addresses)

We will explore this option if nothing is done. We don't want to push too hard and my LO ending up dying due to "Natural Causes."

I do have the phone number they use but, it looked untraceable (on my end at least). If they're using a voip or something.
The Following User Says Thank You to stuckRings2019 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (08-10-2019)
Old 08-10-2019, 03:50 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

You misunderstood, I didn't say to not send anything ($), just not too much. Inmates with a good amount of money are often targeted because, well, because they got money

I truly hate to hear of situation like this Its so hard on the inmate and the family feels so helpless.

Have you or your son contacted Innocence Project of Florida? Here is their website:

https://www.floridainnocence.org/

patchouli, PTO Admin

Last edited by patchouli; 08-10-2019 at 05:44 PM.. Reason: sp
The Following User Says Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
stuckRings2019 (08-10-2019)
Old 08-10-2019, 03:59 PM

Quote:
You misunderstood, I didn't say to not send anything ($), just not too much. Inmates with a good amount of money are often targeted because, well, because they got money

I truly hate to hear of situation like this Its so hard on the inmate and the family feels so helpless.

Have you or your son contacted Innocence Project of Florida? Here is there website:

My apologies, we did send him a one time substantial amount for the quarterly order (about $250) but we don't send that amount on the regular.

And thanks for the sympathy.

I'm now interested in that non-profit. My LO took a deal because it seemed like it was the most logical thing to do at that time, with what's at stake. So pretty much he pled guilty according to the law. But there was a separate document he signed where it said "Pled guilty because of best interest" that the lawyer made him sign. But that's probably not legally binding?

We will look in to it thanks!
Old 08-10-2019, 06:17 PM
PTO Administrator

Donation Award 

Quote:
..."Pled guilty because of best interest" that the lawyer made him sign. But that's probably not legally binding?
No, unfortunately. But in my forever hopeful mind it may come in handy, who knows.

Quote:
My LO took a deal because it seemed like it was the most logical thing to do at that time, with what's at stake.
Ahhhh, the proverbial Fair Trial that the Prosecutor promised would bring a gazillian year sentence when he's found guilty?

Quote:
So pretty much he pled guilty according to the law.

And in doing so he IS guilty in the eyes of the law. He also signed away his right to appeal except under very limited circumstances.

I completely understand the reasoning. Finances can also be a reason for taking a plea. Example: $2500 if plea taken vs $5000 if it goes to court. And that's for a Class D non-violent felony, the lowest felony before misdemeanors (KY). And that's the cheap rate, even taking a Class D to court can cost several thousand dollars+

Prosecutors hold the power. There have been many articles the last few years on both of those issues: The Innocent pleading guilty & Prosecutorial Power.

https://www.themarshallproject.org/2...d-the-innocent

https://www.guiltypleaproblem.org/#stats

https://www.aclu.org/issues/smart-ju...er-prosecutors

https://theappeal.org/the-power-of-p...-2b48cf21c5af/

patchouli, PTO Admin

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (08-11-2019), GingerM (08-11-2019), stuckRings2019 (08-11-2019), trauma4us (08-11-2019)
Old 08-11-2019, 07:59 AM

Thanked 1,045 Times in 466 Posts

I'm sorry for all you are going thru. Prison life for families as well as inmates is very stressful
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to trauma4us For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (08-11-2019), GingerM (08-12-2019), patchouli (08-11-2019), stuckRings2019 (08-11-2019)
Old 08-21-2019, 06:52 PM

Update: Okay, so it seems we're back to square one. They put him back in the original dorm where all of the problems were happening!!? Did they even do an investigation or just an "investigation."

And now he's really paranoid, that they think he's a snitch now.

The guards know what happened too, and the captain said, he's in "hot water" right now.

This just plain sucks!

What do we do now? Do we just pay the extortion money now so our LO doesn't get hurt?

Or should we start planning his funeral? And start calling our attorney because FLDOC failed to do their job to control their inmates? Do we start calling the media?

Who do we call? Because the Facility didn't do s***.
I think it's absurd that with all the information we gave them, they didn't do squat.

The asst warden's words: "Please know that we take our duties of providing for the care, custody and control of our inmate population very seriously."

Now I feel that their correspondence are just templates that they send out to let us hear.

Any advice? If I keep bugging Tallahassee, would they even care? The last time, they just told me to talk to the facility.
Old 08-21-2019, 07:17 PM
PTO Administrator

Donation Award 

I know you're freaking out, but I also know you have no control when dealing with the DOC - and then there's that helpless feeling when you keep banging your head against the wall. But...and its a doozy: BUT, back up the bus. In prison, the squeaky wheel doesn't always get the grease. Many times, with the best of intentions, those well-meaning family members make things worse for their loved one. Retaliation is a fact. He can do multiple things (some simultaneously): ask for PC, he could have refused housing (and gone to the Hole), he can file a grievance concerning being moved back, he can request a transfer, he can fight.

Some here probably would pay more extortion money, some wouldn't - I would not.

patchouli, PTO Admin

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
GingerM (08-22-2019), maytayah (08-27-2019), stuckRings2019 (08-22-2019)
Old 08-21-2019, 10:06 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 22,467 Times in 12,940 Posts

Don't send money unless you are willing to pay extortion until his sentence is over. It won't satisfy them, but rather it will only let them know they have another sucker to continue stealing from in the future.
Old 08-22-2019, 05:52 AM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Award 

Donation Award 

Thanked 8,114 Times in 3,172 Posts

I would not, under any circumstances, send money. FBOP is correct, all that will do is make them ask for more money, until you're out of money and they still want more - and then you're back to where you are now.

We don't know the extent of the investigation - maybe the instigator of the extortion racket ended up in trouble and maybe the guards are keeping an eye on all of them. Maybe the investigation is still ongoing and they moved him back to be "bait" so they could collect enough information on the extortionists to charge them with a new crime.

Maybe he's in "hot water" for now, maybe it wasn't extortion, maybe it was unpaid gambling/drug/'borrowing money' debts. You don't, can't and won't have all the information.

I hate the be the bearer of bad news, but he is going to have to find a way to get by. As Patchouli said, he can request a transfer, he can request protective custody if he feels his life is in danger. PC is not fun, but it beats dying, and he can request a transfer from PC.

None of us replying to you are unfeeling. I'm so very sorry that you're having to live with this stress. The stress is compounded by knowing that anything you do is only likely to make the situation worse. My heart goes out to you.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GingerM For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (08-22-2019), maytayah (08-27-2019), patchouli (08-22-2019), stuckRings2019 (08-22-2019)
Old 08-22-2019, 09:10 PM

Update: Okay.. so my last reply was a bit overboard. That's me in panic mode. And I do take them back.

And thank you all for the above replies.

For now, he might be safe. They apparently 'cleaned house' and he doesn't see the extortionists from before anymore in that dorm. He still fears that there might be some of the members in there. Apparently they were using '3rd party' members for depositing money so it doesn't get back to them. Who knows who the mastermind is.

We were able to talk to him over the phone recently, but he is still on edge. Honestly, me too.

I feel a bit better, but as this is still fresh, I still have reservations, regarding his safety.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stuckRings2019 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (08-23-2019), GingerM (08-23-2019), patchouli (08-22-2019)
Old 08-26-2019, 07:55 PM
PTO Administrator

Donation Award 

Its been a few days, are things still quiet, everybody slowly backing away from the Panic Button? Hope so!

patchouli, PTO Admin

Old 08-26-2019, 09:45 PM

One thing you can do as a family member is watch the documentary on Netflix called the survivors guide to prison. You need to learn a little about his world he is in now. It is absolutely no surprise to me they have put him back in his original dorm. I am sorry you and your son having to be stuck in the nasty system we have.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kimimi For This Useful Post:
GingerM (08-27-2019), stuckRings2019 (08-30-2019)
Old 08-30-2019, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Its been a few days, are things still quiet, everybody slowly backing away from the Panic Button? Hope so!

Well, he says things are a little bit more manageable. Still has one guy harassing him. And he is experiencing sexual harassment as well (I think verbal).

He learned a big lesson in this, and is just trying to lay low.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimimi View Post
One thing you can do as a family member is watch the documentary on Netflix called the survivors guide to prison. You need to learn a little about his world he is in now. It is absolutely no surprise to me they have put him back in his original dorm. I am sorry you and your son having to be stuck in the nasty system we have.

I'll try to watch it later. Why do you say it's no surprise that they put him back in his original dorm? Is this a form of retaliation from the facility?
Old 08-31-2019, 06:28 AM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Award 

Donation Award 

Thanked 8,114 Times in 3,172 Posts

Quote:
Why do you say it's no surprise that they put him back in his original dorm? Is this a form of retaliation from the facility?
Never assume intent where incompetence will suffice.

It could be retaliation, but more likely, they did the investigation, it's done, they go back to business as usual, which means he goes back to his bunk as usual.

I don't know the FL system in depth enough to say, but I wouldn't be surprised by either motivation for putting him back in the dorm.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GingerM For This Useful Post:
patchouli (08-31-2019), stuckRings2019 (09-03-2019)