Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > ARIZONA > Arizona Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Arizona Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Discussions Topics / Information relating to the Arizona Department of Corrections and local & county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc.

Old 06-17-2019, 12:46 AM

Default Are extra envelopes or painted pictures allowed in Arizona?

I have a few questions on what I can mail.

#1). If I mail a 9x12 envelope, can I place an empty white envelope in it? I am mailing some clippings and it would just be easier to organize them in a smaller envelope. But not really necessary if it's not allowed.

#2) Are hand painted cards allowed?

#3) what type of kid artwork is allowed? My grandkids paint pictures. Not sure if I should make them use colored pencils or crayons instead. Some of the school projects they make are glued together. I wasn't sure if those were allowed.

Thanks so much for your help.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-2019, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSAZ View Post
I have a few questions on what I can mail.

#1). If I mail a 9x12 envelope, can I place an empty white envelope in it? I am mailing some clippings and it would just be easier to organize them in a smaller envelope. But not really necessary if it's not allowed.

#2) Are hand painted cards allowed?

#3) what type of kid artwork is allowed? My grandkids paint pictures. Not sure if I should make them use colored pencils or crayons instead. Some of the school projects they make are glued together. I wasn't sure if those were allowed.

Thanks so much for your help.

Hi, I wouldn't send the extra envelopes as it could possibly cause your mail to be returned.
My guess is they would most likely be out of order since there is a good chance it will be inspected anyway. Possibly use the children's artwork to separate it.?.

As far as the grandbabies artwork and painted cards go, I would contact the mail room at the facility. If it doesn't pass inspection he will get a notice and he can choose to pay for return postage or allow them to destroy it.

Good luck, hopefully you can get absolute answers soon.

Oh my , I just saw the date you posted on was months ago.
Out of curiosity, did you ever find answers to your questions?

Last edited by Zeus&BugsMom; 08-18-2019 at 01:46 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Zeus&BugsMom For This Useful Post:
kari dunn (08-21-2019)
Old 08-21-2019, 01:15 AM

I read someone said that they called and they were told that colored things (crayon, pencils, paints - probably being sensitive to children's art) would be accepted by their mailroom it would take longer because the artwork would have to pass the dog sniffing inspection first.
But no glitter is what everyone says.

(And can contraband mail property be picked up at facility instead of being "mailed back/or destroyed?")

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus&BugsMom View Post
Hi, I wouldn't send the extra envelopes as it could possibly cause your mail to be returned.
My guess is they would most likely be out of order since there is a good chance it will be inspected anyway. Possibly use the children's artwork to separate it.?.

As far as the grandbabies artwork and painted cards go, I would contact the mail room at the facility. If it doesn't pass inspection he will get a notice and he can choose to pay for return postage or allow them to destroy it.

Good luck, hopefully you can get absolute answers soon.

Oh my , I just saw the date you posted on was months ago.
Out of curiosity, did you ever find answers to your questions?
Old 08-30-2019, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kari dunn View Post
I read someone said that they called and they were told that colored things (crayon, pencils, paints - probably being sensitive to children's art) would be accepted by their mailroom it would take longer because the artwork would have to pass the dog sniffing inspection first.
But no glitter is what everyone says.

(And can contraband mail property be picked up at facility instead of being "mailed back/or destroyed?")
I'm sorry, I do not know the answer. I will try to remember to ask this weekend when I visit.
Old 08-31-2019, 09:15 PM

Hi Keri,
I asked about the mail that gets denied. I was told there's a spot on the form that they receive telling them that they're not going to get the mail that says hold for all he has to do is put your name in there. But I was also thinking maybe instead of sending the actual artwork in you can photocopy it and send the photocopies.
It's kind of twofold because you'll be able to keep the original and if the one he receives gets destroyed you can copy and send it back in again. Plus it wouldn't trigger the need for further inspection.

Hope this helped.
The Following User Says Thank You to Zeus&BugsMom For This Useful Post:
lizlizzie2 (09-01-2019)
Old 08-31-2019, 10:50 PM

I'd say it depends on the facility regarding the artwork. My child drew something in crayon and it was returned. Another time it was marker and it was returned. Now I just take pictures of her artwork and mail them. He gets her art gallery in his photo album and everything doesn't keep getting returned.
The Following User Says Thank You to KatyCain12 For This Useful Post:
lizlizzie2 (09-01-2019)
Old 09-01-2019, 04:49 PM

we haven't had anything returned.
crayon , marker , paint , stamps or anything.
so i definitely agree its based on their location

or they just destroyed it