Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > COLORADO > Colorado Prison & Jail – Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Colorado Prison & Jail – Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Information relating to the Colorado Department of Corrections. This includes info about Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail.

Old 08-09-2019, 10:23 AM

Default Visitation & concealed carry permit: can gun be left in car for visitation?

Hi all,

I have a dilemma - or maybe it's nothing... hoping for some input.

My son has been in a private prison in Colorado for over 2 years now. While my family all remains supportive, most of them haven't visited my son at all, they barely even write to him. This summer I've told various family members that I'll provide transportation, pay for the entire trip, etc if they'll just join me on a visit. Since I go anyway, it isn't that much more for me to bring someone else along. One of my sisters has joined me, and now my oldest son and his girlfriend are going with me, we leave tomorrow morning.

My oldest son has lived his entire adult life in a small town in Colorado and believes in carrying a gun with him wherever he goes. He has a concealed carry permit and is very responsible with his gun(s). But he's a bit on the paranoid side about safety, to be honest. He doesn't want to visit the 'big city' without taking a gun, but I'm pretty uncomfortable with taking a gun to a prison, even if we leave it in the car in the parking lot.

I don't see anything on the prison website about having a gun in your car, but that doesn't mean much, I'm sure they couldn't list everything there, ya know? We're afraid to call the prison and ask for fear they'll freak out and not let us visit at all after that. Ugg...

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-2019, 10:35 AM
Super Moderator on Leave

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,055 Posts

All weapons are considered contraband, so no, you cannot even have it in your car in the parking lot, let alone on your person entering a prison.

Visitors' vehicles are subject to inspection or search while on State property, as provided by CRS 17-19-101.

If staff interacting with visitors determine that reasonable suspicion exists regarding the possible introduction and/or possession of contraband, or has an outstanding warrant, the visitor:

Shall be denied entrance;
May be detained for local law enforcement of jurisdiction or for IG Investigators. Physical force may not be used to detain a visitor unless there is an imminent threat to the life or safety of another person or to the security of the facility
May be referred to the District Attorney's Office for criminal prosecution
Shall be suspended or revoked from future visits.
Visitors shall not possess nor carry onto the grounds of a DOC facility any explosive devices, firearms, ammunition, alcoholic beverages, illicit narcotics, objects or materials of any kind which are readily adaptable for use to compromise the safety or security of the facility.

https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/cdoc/visiting-offender

Last edited by sass4221; 08-09-2019 at 10:39 AM..
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sass4221 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (08-09-2019), Ms Sunny (08-16-2019), patchouli (08-09-2019), somom (08-09-2019)
Old 08-09-2019, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somom View Post
Hi all,

I have a dilemma - or maybe it's nothing... hoping for some input.

My son has been in a private prison in Colorado for over 2 years now. While my family all remains supportive, most of them haven't visited my son at all, they barely even write to him. This summer I've told various family members that I'll provide transportation, pay for the entire trip, etc if they'll just join me on a visit. Since I go anyway, it isn't that much more for me to bring someone else along. One of my sisters has joined me, and now my oldest son and his girlfriend are going with me, we leave tomorrow morning.

My oldest son has lived his entire adult life in a small town in Colorado and believes in carrying a gun with him wherever he goes. He has a concealed carry permit and is very responsible with his gun(s). But he's a bit on the paranoid side about safety, to be honest. He doesn't want to visit the 'big city' without taking a gun, but I'm pretty uncomfortable with taking a gun to a prison, even if we leave it in the car in the parking lot.

I don't see anything on the prison website about having a gun in your car, but that doesn't mean much, I'm sure they couldn't list everything there, ya know? We're afraid to call the prison and ask for fear they'll freak out and not let us visit at all after that. Ugg...

Thoughts?
Yeah not a good idea. My friend travels from New Mexico to Colorado frequently to see her husband. she also has a concealed carry license and carries a small 22 with her everywhere she goes. She went to visit her husband at Sterling and on this particular day they were doing random vehicle searches. they found the gun and put the facility on lockdown. Her visits were suspended for six months and her husband ended up in CSP. They were trying to get him on attempted escape charges but those were later dropped. Since it is your vehicle you will be facing jail time if there is a weapon found in your car.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nancyginnm For This Useful Post:
choclgs (08-17-2019), fbopnomore (08-09-2019), maytayah (08-09-2019), patchouli (08-09-2019), somom (08-09-2019)
Old 08-09-2019, 11:30 AM

As a CO I can tell you this.

DO NOT bring a gun onto prison grounds, even the parking lot. Yes it is legal to carry in most of the USA, you (your person really) can face a whole heap of trouble even carrying a legal gun onto prison property. So my strong advice is to leave the gun (and ammunition) at home that day.

If they insist on bringing the gun on the trip, then my only advice would be to maybe find a gunshop in the local area that would be willing to hold it for the few hours of visitation? Explain your situation they might be accommodating.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bikerguy For This Useful Post:
choclgs (08-17-2019), fbopnomore (08-09-2019), maytayah (08-09-2019), nancyginnm (08-09-2019), patchouli (08-09-2019), somom (08-09-2019)
Old 08-09-2019, 12:32 PM

Crystal clear. Thanks everyone. I sure appreciate all of you!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to somom For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (08-09-2019)
Old 08-09-2019, 05:24 PM

Hi, Are you staying in a Hotel? If so you can lock it in your safe in your room, and I have also had a Hotel hold mine in their safe. I have never had a problem with this. Also most gun ranges in most areas rent lockers also.

OWL
The Following User Says Thank You to Itshardtowait For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (08-10-2019)
Old 08-15-2019, 05:13 PM

Thanks for all the great feedback. The only problem with leaving it in a hotel is that we would have to cut our visit short to get back in time for checkout or pay for an additional day. I wasn’t really willing to do either of those things. But next time we’ll look into a gun range or some other locker facility.

For this trip my son left his gun at home & miraculously nothing bad happened to us. Lol
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to somom For This Useful Post:
choclgs (08-17-2019), fbopnomore (08-17-2019), Itshardtowait (08-16-2019), Revenwyn (08-17-2019), sass4221 (08-15-2019), sidewalker (08-17-2019)
Old 08-17-2019, 11:29 AM
Married May 27, 2017!

Quote:
Originally Posted by somom View Post
For this trip my son left his gun at home & miraculously nothing bad happened to us. Lol
Shocking!
Old 08-17-2019, 01:11 PM
Donation Award 

I also want add that one does not want to use their Concealed Carry ID for ID when checking in, that will cause them to search your vehicle. Just use a state issued ID.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to saoirse1 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (08-17-2019), sidewalker (08-18-2019)