Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > PENNSYLVANIA > Pennsylvania Parole, Probation, Work Release, Halfway Houses & Community Service
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Pennsylvania Parole, Probation, Work Release, Halfway Houses & Community Service All information relating to parole, probation, halfway houses, community service and electronic monitoring in Pennsylvania should be posted here.

Old 12-08-2012, 08:10 AM

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 2,173 Times in 1,212 Posts
Lightbulb Good time credit for state prisoners in Pennsylvania

This question is popping up all over the Pennsylvania forum, so I'll lay it to rest here.

There is nothing pending in Harrisburg that would create any kind of "good time" for Pennsylvania state prisoners. What the inmates think they're hearing inside the prisons is the annual rumor. Please ignore it.

Personally, I think the time is right to float the idea around Harrisburg, even though Corbett isn't going to be keen on it. We were just given a "dishonorable mention" in a nationwide study about prison reductions, specifically named for our current project to create more than 4,000 beds.

The cause is handicapped because both houses of our legislature are controlled by the Republican party, but Senator Greenleaf was able to get SB 100 through and would probably consider another such package in a year or two. By then, Corbett will either be replaced or in his second term. The fiscal problems are our only real basis for even suggesting it right now.

In the meantime, let's keep the discussion of this topic here.

Bob
Old 05-09-2016, 06:14 PM

Has anything changed? A friend of mine who happens to be an inmate at a state prison in PA was told that some bill may be passed soon having to do with reduced sentences or good time or earned time credit.

Can you tell me anything about this? I also have questions regarding his sentence. He explained that his maximum is more than twice his minimum. Is this a legal sentence?

Thanks in Advance,
A.I.F
Old 05-10-2016, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anInmatesFriend View Post
Has anything changed? A friend of mine who happens to be an inmate at a state prison in PA was told that some bill may be passed soon having to do with reduced sentences or good time or earned time credit.
I have not heard of anything like this going to be passed into law in PA. I am sure if something was to happen it would be posted here by the forum moderator as a "heads-up". Probably just prison inmate rumor talk again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anInmatesFriend View Post
Can you tell me anything about this? I also have questions regarding his sentence. He explained that his maximum is more than twice his minimum. Is this a legal sentence?
Yes, it is a legal sentence that the maximum can be twice the minimum.
A minimum sentence can not be more than 50% of the maximum sentence. If a count of a charge carries a maximum of 10 years such as a felony 2 then the minimum can only be upto 5 years and maximum only up to 10 years but the judge can sentence in between that time as example: 2 years minimum and 5 years maximum but again can not be any higher for the same charge 5 to 10 years. It is up to the discretion of the judge at the time of sentencing.
The Following User Says Thank You to waitinguntil001 For This Useful Post:
bobble60 (05-14-2016)
Old 05-14-2016, 06:49 AM

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 2,173 Times in 1,212 Posts

There is no legislation pending that would offer "good time" to state prisoners in Pennsylvania. (Especially when the entire State House and 1/3 of the State Senate are up for re-election!)