Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > PENNSYLVANIA > Pennsylvania Parole, Probation, Work Release, Halfway Houses & Community Service
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Pennsylvania Parole, Probation, Work Release, Halfway Houses & Community Service All information relating to parole, probation, halfway houses, community service and electronic monitoring in Pennsylvania should be posted here.

Old 01-22-2018, 04:20 PM

Unhappy Extending probation due to restitution?

I got a call from the probation department of the courthouse saying a couple of my cases have expired but restitution isn’t paid so we need to schedule a hearing To extend my probation. told him that my probation was transferred out of state 3 years ago and he said he would mail me papers for the extension of probation. He said My probation for these cases will be extended for 5 years but if I pay restitution in full before 5 years that they will terminate my probation. I just want to make sure that not in serious trouble here as in I won’t be getting jail time for this? I have been making payments each month for the 5 years that I’ve been on supervision and have no violations or issues whatsoever. I’m just a little scared because this is my first time going thru this and I don’t want my freedom taken away from me. I still have a few thousand dollars left of restitution and have paid a few thousand on it already. I tried calling today to talk to the person who called me about this last week and he was rude to me and told me he doesn’t have time for me. If he were in my situation, I think he would’ve been a little more understanding of why I’m anxious over this :/ has anyone had any experience extending probation? I don’t care how long they extend it, I just don’t want to go to jail. This is county probation in PA that I’m talking about.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2018, 05:51 PM

Thanked 2,500 Times in 1,575 Posts

As long as your making your payments on time then your not going to jail.
Old 01-22-2018, 08:28 PM

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,895 Posts

In most jurisdictions, the burden is indeed on the Defendant to show an inability to pay. Expect the Court to potentially ask about expenses and inquire about non-essential items such as cable or new vehicles. The Court is looking to ensure that the victim is made whole and doing so is the priority.

Provided that applying for credit is not a violation of the terms of supervision, then it may be worth just going and getting a personal line from your bank in an amount sufficient to pay the restitution nut...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CenTexLyn For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (01-23-2018), xolady (01-23-2018)
Old 01-23-2018, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenTexLyn View Post
In most jurisdictions, the burden is indeed on the Defendant to show an inability to pay. Expect the Court to potentially ask about expenses and inquire about non-essential items such as cable or new vehicles. The Court is looking to ensure that the victim is made whole and doing so is the priority.

Provided that applying for credit is not a violation of the terms of supervision, then it may be worth just going and getting a personal line from your bank in an amount sufficient to pay the restitution nut...
He said hes mailing me papers to sign and return and Im not having a hearing...
The Following User Says Thank You to kiwi86 For This Useful Post:
xolady (01-23-2018)
Old 01-23-2018, 04:21 PM

Thanked 5,507 Times in 2,890 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi86 View Post
He said hes mailing me papers to sign and return and Im not having a hearing...
I would take out a loan and pay it off, as you are also paying cost of supervision.