Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > PENNSYLVANIA > Pennsylvania Parole, Probation, Work Release, Halfway Houses & Community Service
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Pennsylvania Parole, Probation, Work Release, Halfway Houses & Community Service All information relating to parole, probation, halfway houses, community service and electronic monitoring in Pennsylvania should be posted here.

Old 07-31-2017, 07:17 PM

Lightbulb State ID provided when paroled?

Looking to find out if anyone knows the answer...are inmates provided a valid PA ID card on the day they are released? It's very important that I find this out so I know if I have to make a pitstop to PennDot to get one on the way home or if he will have it already with him when he is picked up. Also, are there usually restrictions to where they can NOT travel outside of there home county lines? Any info is appreciated. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-2017, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMarie8385 View Post
Looking to find out if anyone knows the answer...are inmates provided a valid PA ID card on the day they are released? It's very important that I find this out so I know if I have to make a pitstop to PennDot to get one on the way home or if he will have it already with him when he is picked up. ...
PA ID cards: When I was released they provided me with a new PA DOC ID card. This is the same ID card that is given to every inmate only thing is that they give you a new one days before you are released. This is not the same thing as a state ID card issued by PennDOT. Depending on what he may need an ID for I would suggest stopping at PennDOT on the way home and at least getting him a state issued ID (that is if he is not qualified yet for a drivers license) this way he has some ID when applying for employment etc. Also be sure he has a SS card. Most places of employment will require at least a state issued ID and SScard for a job. Either that or a passport will do as one form of ID on its own. Contact PennDOT driver license center or go into one in your area and ask them what type of ID he needs to get a state issued ID card. I believe he will need a birth certificate (or valid passport), a Social Security Card and some type of proof of residency of Penn such as a magazine subscription, utility bill etc with his name on it and the address indicating a PA residence. When my LO was going to be released I signed him up for a magazine subscription to a car magazine (did not care what one) so that by the time he got out he would have had at least one magazine received at my house with his name and address on it and that is what we used for PennDOT as proof of residency. Cell phone bills are not allowed to be used as proof. I believe you can also find that info on PennDOTs site. You may want to ask PennDOT if the PaDOC issued inmate ID card will be proof of residency.

Quote:
...Also, are there usually restrictions to where they can NOT travel outside of there home county lines? Any info is appreciated. Thank you.
A new parolee will receive from his POfficer (usually in the form of a map) the areas (counties) he is allowed or not allowed to travel outside of or into. Also if the parolee needs to go outside of an area where he normally may not travel outside of he can ask for permission from his PO in such cases as looking for employment (a job interview), while on the job (if the job requires daily travel) etc etc. Sometimes for family functions (depending) but the parolee must always clear that with his PO prior to leaving the area or he can be violated.

Last edited by waitinguntil001; 08-01-2017 at 05:27 AM..
Old 08-01-2017, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Looking to find out if anyone knows the answer...are inmates provided a valid PA ID card on the day they are released? It's very important that I find this out so I know if I have to make a pitstop to PennDot to get one on the way home or if he will have it already with him when he is picked up. Also, are there usually restrictions to where they can NOT travel outside of there home county lines? Any info is appreciated. Thank you.
Hello,
When my LO was released a few months ago, he was issued a state ID card. It was one of those nondriver licenses that the state issues.
Old 08-01-2017, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknownothing View Post
Hello,
When my LO was released a few months ago, he was issued a state ID card. It was one of those nondriver licenses that the state issues.
iknownothing are you sure it was the PennDOT state issued ID card and not the PaDOC inmate ID card? PaDOC may be issuing those now-a-days; maybe, don't know. But when I was in all I got on release was the PaDOC inmate ID card.

AMarie8385 maybe it would be best to have him ask his counselor exactly what type of ID card he will be issued upon his release so you can prepare properly from there.

As I said I was issued a new inmate ID card which is PaDOC. But also at the same time I was "given" my state renewed driver's license that I renewed while I was in prison but only because I applied for it with the proper forms while I was in prison and also because the DOC and PennDOT had my picture/information on file.

Best is to have him ask his councilor to be sure. Tell him to submit a "request slip" to his councilor. S/he will tell him what he will get upon his release etc.
Old 08-01-2017, 07:18 PM

[quote=waitinguntil001;7652358]iknownothing are you sure it was the PennDOT state issued ID card and not the PaDOC inmate ID card? PaDOC may be issuing those now-a-days; maybe, don't know. But when I was in all I got on release was the PaDOC inmate ID card.

AMarie8385 maybe it would be best to have him ask his counselor exactly what type of ID card he will be issued upon his release so you can prepare properly from there.

As I said I was issued a new inmate ID card which is PaDOC. But also at the same time I was "given" my state renewed driver's license that I renewed while I was in prison but only because I applied for it with the proper forms while I was in prison and also because the DOC and PennDOT had my picture/information on file.

Yep, it was the Penndot state ID. His driver's license hadn't expired yet but they issued him a state ID that had his previous driver's license photo on it. But it wasn't a driver's license. Just the state ID. Since his release, he has gotten his new driver's license. His license expired a couple months after his release. I work at a public library and I had seen the inmate ID cards. People used to use them to get a library card. I haven't seen anyone using those lately though. So I can't say if they are still issuing those on release.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iknownothing For This Useful Post:
AMarie8385 (08-03-2017), waitinguntil001 (08-02-2017)
Old 08-02-2017, 03:10 AM

Ah, ok then. Maybe they changed since then what they issue on release.
The Following User Says Thank You to waitinguntil001 For This Useful Post:
AMarie8385 (08-03-2017)
Old 08-03-2017, 08:08 PM

Can you tell me what facility they came from iknownothing? I still cant seem to get a straight answer. I guess we'll find out the day of.
Old 08-04-2017, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Can you tell me what facility they came from iknownothing? I still cant seem to get a straight answer. I guess we'll find out the day of.
It was Somerset.