Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > PENNSYLVANIA > Pennsylvania Parole, Probation, Work Release, Halfway Houses & Community Service
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Pennsylvania Parole, Probation, Work Release, Halfway Houses & Community Service All information relating to parole, probation, halfway houses, community service and electronic monitoring in Pennsylvania should be posted here.

Old 03-23-2004, 12:52 PM

Default Pennsylvania Parole Resources

I need some help. I am new to all of this and I have a loved one in prison. My question is, in order to be granted parole, does the prisoner need to show remorse for the crime he is in there for? Please help me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by egs
I know a fair amount about parole in PA [NJ, too, btw] and about intrastate compact rules concerning out of state parole. I'll be glad to try and answer any questions or, if I don't know, try and get you to someone who does. Feel free to ask whatever is on your mind!!!
Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2004, 02:49 PM
...over easy
Donation Award 

Kpappas,
Parole assumes you are guilty of the crime for which you have been convicted, period!!! And yes, they do look for the quality and quantity of remorse you have shown/demonstrated. It is one important condition they are looking at when deciding to parole someone, or not. There are many other conditions they look at as well [prison adjustment, nature of the crime, previous convictions, potential for re-integrating into community, likelihood to recommit a crime if paroled, etc....]. Parole is tough in PA--tough to get and can be tough to hold on to!!!

ERacism

...if i know anything at all,
it's that a wall is just a wall
and nothing more at all,
it can be broken down.

---assata shakur
Old 03-30-2004, 04:56 PM

EGS,

Why is parole tough to get and hold on to in PA? If it is tough, what can you recommend for the parole journey not to be so tough. Also, can you recommend steps that family members can take to prevent parole from being tough, if this is possible.

Thanks
Old 04-23-2004, 07:32 PM
...over easy
Donation Award 

Parole is tough in PA b/c it is a political hot potato--back in 1997 an out of state parolee by the name of A. Bomar killed a young woman from Philadelphia's Main Line in a very brutal fashion. If the PB had been doing their job this guy would have been sent back to his home state due to earlier major parole violations but they did not push up on Bomar's home state. Since this murder, the rules for out of state parole have changed and many major parole board staff members were fired. Remember the PA PB basically answers to no one but the Governor so realistically they are left alone to do pretty much what they want w/little to no oversight [what other gov't dept. gets such lattitude???].

Listed below are some of the organizations I am aware of that work on prison/prisoner issues in PA. This list is specific to State [vs. federal] prisons/prisoners. I'm sure there are others...if anyone is aware of other groups, please add them to the list.

There is an organization called, "Fight for Lifers". Their mission is, "to educate the public about the realities of serving a life sentence in the Commonwealth of PA and the necessity for consideration of parole review for life-sentenced prisoners on a case-by-case basis; to support thruout the commutation process for individual lifers who have proven their merit; to provide information, support and guidance for their loved ones, and to advocate for their special needs and the quality of life." They meet every 2nd Tuesday at 6:30pm, 1501 Cherry St. Phila [downtown Philly].
Their address is: P. O. Box 7691, Phila. PA 19101 Email: lifers2000@aol.com Phone: 215-766-7411. They publish a newsletter too, "The Magnifying Glass".

PA Prison Society, 245 N. Broad St. Phila. 19107 215-564-6005 [they have a website--put their name in google [or other search engine] and you should get the web address]

PA Lifers Support Group, P. O. Box 256, Wellsboro, PA 16901

PA CURE, PO Box 125, Millersburg, PA 17061 717-692-2180

Organization for Parole Relief, Inc., PO Box 15, Zion Hill, PA 18981; 215-536-9098
[this org. works on issues other than parole and are very active--have a newsletter, too.]

Lobbyist Coalition, Inc. 103 N. Main Street, Hatfield, PA 19440

ERacism

and nothing more at all,
it can be broken down.

---assata shakur
Old 08-30-2007, 07:06 AM

my son was to see parole on, aug 29,2007, today is the 30th, i still have not heard anything, will they contact me? the only class he missed was tc, also is he better off doing the rest of his time, and coming out without parole, or getting parole. they did send a letter to me now nothing
Old 08-30-2007, 03:20 PM

You will not hear the answer from the parole board for at least six weeks. As far as whether paroling or maxing is better -- it depends on where you live, how long you have to go till your max, and what kind of support you have on the outside. Parole officers in big cities seem to be a lot more relaxed than more rural ones.
Old 02-02-2008, 07:51 AM
SusieK

My son is in SCI Rockview and is due for parole in July, I have spoken to him and to his counselor (which has never) spoken to Dan, his Greensheet said violence control classes but the prison put a program on their called SOP. He had a previous conviction of corruption of a minor in 1999. That case was taken care of he went through all the counseling at the time and then again at SCI Albion. They are now saying if he does not do a 2 year course at Rockview, he wil sit for the next 7 years. His parole will be denied. I need help. He went back in for Domestic Violence. I am the one who called his PO thinking he would talk to him. I never dreamed he would violate him. I am supposed to talk to the woman who evaluated him and 12 others at the same time Monday but I feel I"m fighting an uphill battle. He sent a request to her but was denied. I have a copy of it. What do I do? Someone please help me
SusieK
Old 02-02-2008, 09:18 PM
...over easy
Donation Award 

No one has violated him parole; eligibility for parole is criteria based and sometimes will be determined by factors related to the person's crime and findings from evaluations along with all the other basic factors [adjustment to prison, charges, home plan, etc....]. One of the biggest problems is that sometimes criteria for eligibility will be made and then the specific program required is not offered at the person's specific prison. This happens more frequently than one would think.
It is hard to "fight" parole when it has not been denied. The only persons who can deny or approve parole is members of the parole board, not the DOC. The PB are the only ones who can determine a future parole eligibility date; again, not the DOC. 7 years is not a typical length of denial for parole--usually it's 6 months or 1 year.

But you are right; if the assessment findings determines a prescribed program, then there may be little one can do about it. But I will tell you that it is vital that he [vs. you] assert himself if he believes he does not need this program. The DOC is not obligated to listen to you at all and they won't take your word over their assessment of need. If he doesn't advocate for himself then they assume either that he is in agreement or allow others to take care of him [which rarely works in the incarcerated person's interest in the long run]. This doesn't mean you sit back, but he definitely needs to step up [if he has not already done so] so that your support fortifies his position, rather than lead it.
Hope this is of some help.

ERacism

and nothing more at all,
it can be broken down.

---assata shakur
Old 04-08-2008, 07:06 PM

awww lm so sorry

Love knows no walls........
Old 04-30-2008, 02:05 PM

Unhappy info on pre-release process

i'm new to this site, but i'm willing to learn, i have a question and i hope that anyone will be kind and send me some useful information. my husband has been in jail for 2 1/2 years now and just last week he told me that he apply for pre-release. now i don't know how that works. if anyone can give me some useful information on it. i will like that alot. yours truely,
hopeinpa08
aka- Emily
Old 04-30-2008, 07:19 PM
...over easy
Donation Award 

Click on this link for info about pre-release:
http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=204190

ERacism

and nothing more at all,
it can be broken down.

---assata shakur
Old 09-29-2008, 12:46 PM
SusieK

Default I don't understand

Quote:
Originally Posted by egs View Post
No one has violated him parole; eligibility for parole is criteria based and sometimes will be determined by factors related to the person's crime and findings from evaluations along with all the other basic factors [adjustment to prison, charges, home plan, etc....]. One of the biggest problems is that sometimes criteria for eligibility will be made and then the specific program required is not offered at the person's specific prison. This happens more frequently than one would think.
It is hard to "fight" parole when it has not been denied. The only persons who can deny or approve parole is members of the parole board, not the DOC. The PB are the only ones who can determine a future parole eligibility date; again, not the DOC. 7 years is not a typical length of denial for parole--usually it's 6 months or 1 year.

But you are right; if the assessment findings determines a prescribed program, then there may be little one can do about it. But I will tell you that it is vital that he [vs. you] assert himself if he believes he does not need this program. The DOC is not obligated to listen to you at all and they won't take your word over their assessment of need. If he doesn't advocate for himself then they assume either that he is in agreement or allow others to take care of him [which rarely works in the incarcerated person's interest in the long run]. This doesn't mean you sit back, but he definitely needs to step up [if he has not already done so] so that your support fortifies his position, rather than lead it.
Hope this is of some help.
According to Dan he has filed everything he can, gave them copies or tried to give them copies of everything he has proving he does not need this SOP program. The Parole board denied him because the Prison( meaning the woman who so called assessed him) would not recommend reparole based on her opinion. If they had recommended it. He would have been home in July.
He is fighting, he realizes it is all up to him but I feel this is the craziest thing. He has never had another sex offense. He did all the treatment classes and anything else that has been asked of him. Honestly, he has done classes over and over prior to this.
How about a program for DRUGS? That is HIS problem. Oh that's right they only have AA on the outside and to hell with a drug program here in PA.

Somebody should be able to do something about that whole situation.

SusieK
Old 09-30-2008, 04:16 AM

To the best of my knowledge, all the state prisons have NA meetings available. There should also be drug classes available. Tell him to talk to the D&A person on his block. No matter what his charge was, the D&A still does an evaluation on them when they get there, and assigns them a number as to whether they need DA treatment. If he was truthful with his answers, he should have been in classes. And PA most certainly has NA meetings available on the outside. I live in a little country town, and there is still a NA meeting available every day of the week, and twice on one day. I know enough people that attend them! They even staffed a meeting all day long on Christmas.
horsegirl22 (03-31-2013)
Old 05-05-2009, 05:27 PM
Banned

Question: My boyfriend is in bucks county work release his min. is 6 months he sent in his papers for parole and met with his probation officer they said he should be home the 3rd of June.My question is is that a for sure thing or can something still happen. Im not talking about him doing something stupid.
Old 02-26-2010, 05:35 PM

Default Parole

If his original charge was a sex offense(albiet drug induced) and his parole was revoked because of a drug violation cn he requestto be sent to a halfway house for drug offenders not sex offenders, as drug abuse is his real problem?
Old 02-27-2010, 02:06 PM

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 2,174 Times in 1,212 Posts

He can request whatever he wants. Where they send him is their decision.

FYI: Pennsylvania does not have any specific halfway houses for sex offenders. Most of the halfway houses accept them and have access to out-patient treatment. The same is true of drug and alcohol cases.