Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > MEDICAL & HEALTH > Hepatitis C
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hepatitis C Living with it, inside prison and out in the world.

Old 05-30-2020, 06:32 PM
Donation Award 

Default Son Blood Test Hep C

My son had a blood test for HEP C and they said it was inconclusive so they are supposed to do a second test. He is waiting. Most of the posts are older on this.

What is the current status of Federal Prisons treating prisoners for HEP C across the U.S.?

My son has lots of tattoos and had piercings. HE also was shooting heroin and meth and smoking it. He said I never used dirty needles but my hunch is somewhere along the way it was a dirty needle. I read it can be from sex with someone with HEP C too...He got some old tattoos when in jail many years ago. His diabetes test came back negative and his A1C was 5.5 or near that which is good.

Is there a cure for HEP C now? I thought there was not a cure but I see medications that appear to work well. Should he ask for Harvoni?

Thanx
Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-2020, 03:54 AM
Site Moderator
Donation Award 

Thanked 23,915 Times in 13,724 Posts

The bop's prescription drug formulary lists Hepatitis C as a "high priority medical condition/diagnosis" on page 47.
https://www.bop.gov/resources/pdfs/formulary.pdf
"Hepatitis C infection- currently treated with interferon/ribaverin, with or without protease inhibitors".

Harvoni is one of the drugs that can cure hepatitis C in most, but not all patients. It is hugely expensive, so the bop will try to avoid prescribing that class of medications unless they are forced by a federal judge (or judges) to make it widely available to inmates
Old 05-31-2020, 04:34 PM
Donation Award 

Default THanks

Thanks very much. I will let my son know. They are delaying the second test. I told him to ask for it tomorrow. Soon he will be transferred to a county jail before his sentence date mid June. I will research the link.

I heard 1/3 or 1/2 of prisoners have Hep C. That sounds really high. I also heard Interferon could only be given to patients under 180 lbs. I read some old posts on PTO so perhaps things have changed since those posts years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbopnomore View Post
The bop's prescription drug formulary lists Hepatitis C as a "high priority medical condition/diagnosis" on page 47.
https://www.bop.gov/resources/pdfs/formulary.pdf
"Hepatitis C infection- currently treated with interferon/ribaverin, with or without protease inhibitors".

Harvoni is one of the drugs that can cure hepatitis C in most, but not all patients. It is hugely expensive, so the bop will try to avoid prescribing that class of medications unless they are forced by a federal judge (or judges) to make it widely available to inmates
Old 05-31-2020, 04:37 PM
Donation Award 

Default 2019 Forumlary

Here is the BOP Formulary for 2019. I googled for 2020 but this one came up.

https://www.bop.gov/resources/pdfs/2...ary_part_I.pdf
The Following User Says Thank You to YOGA62 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (05-31-2020)
Old 05-31-2020, 04:47 PM

Havoni works. I received hep c from a blood transfusion. Had an 8 week course with few side effects and it cleared the hep c. It is apparently very expensive so whether the doc would use it is a big ? mark. I hope if he needs treatment your son does well and it works out ok for him.
The Following User Says Thank You to orchibu For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (05-31-2020)
Old 05-31-2020, 05:21 PM
Donation Award 

Default Harvoni

Good to know, thanks. I don't think BOP is using it though. The formulary states interferon and ribavirin which are the "older drugs". I read it could take a court order from a judge through the attorney to get the Harvoni or other newer drugs....

Quote:
Originally Posted by orchibu View Post
Havoni works. I received hep c from a blood transfusion. Had an 8 week course with few side effects and it cleared the hep c. It is apparently very expensive so whether the doc would use it is a big ? mark. I hope if he needs treatment your son does well and it works out ok for him.
Old 05-31-2020, 06:10 PM
Site Moderator
Donation Award 

Thanked 23,915 Times in 13,724 Posts

Thanks for the link to the 2019 bop prescription drug formulary. I updated my bookmark.
Old 06-01-2020, 01:46 PM

I had Hep C. Many in my generation do. Some say it was from the air powered inoculation guns spreading it..
Texas offered to treat me but I turned that down.I am a Veteran and I waited until I was out(I had a very short sentence) and took treatment from VA. Harvoni if I remember right. 3 pills once a day 60 days. IThe virus is no longer detectable in my blood test. The doctors will never say you are cured of it.
I didnt want treatment in Texas TDCJ because with the Hep C treatment it is very important to take your dose everyday at the same time and not miss a day.
In TDCJ (Pill Window) is called at 3:30 am some days and it is very easy to not hear the call depending on the guard,. If you start the treatment and dont complete it ,and are not cured, then you can never take the treatment again....it wont work. I didnt feel lucky.
Of course the VA paid for my treatment. The meds cost about 60-80 thousand dollars. If prison is the only way one can get treatment I would recommend they accept treatment in a prison setting. Just set your alarm clock
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to russelln61 For This Useful Post:
dtmom2013 (06-23-2020), YOGA62 (06-01-2020)
Old 06-01-2020, 10:40 PM
Donation Award 

Default Thanks!

Thanks very much! I will pass this on to my son. Very good to know. How stupid to wake people at 3 am for a drug ridiculous! I am glad you were able to get the treatment through the VA and Thank You for Your Service to Our Country!!

My son is facing 10-12 years. So he needs to get treated in prison. He will now have to wait until he is sent to his prison after sentencing in two weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by russelln61 View Post
I had Hep C. Many in my generation do. Some say it was from the air powered inoculation guns spreading it..
Texas offered to treat me but I turned that down.I am a Veteran and I waited until I was out(I had a very short sentence) and took treatment from VA. Harvoni if I remember right. 3 pills once a day 60 days. IThe virus is no longer detectable in my blood test. The doctors will never say you are cured of it.
I didnt want treatment in Texas TDCJ because with the Hep C treatment it is very important to take your dose everyday at the same time and not miss a day.
In TDCJ (Pill Window) is called at 3:30 am some days and it is very easy to not hear the call depending on the guard,. If you start the treatment and dont complete it ,and are not cured, then you can never take the treatment again....it wont work. I didnt feel lucky.
Of course the VA paid for my treatment. The meds cost about 60-80 thousand dollars. If prison is the only way one can get treatment I would recommend they accept treatment in a prison setting. Just set your alarm clock