Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

California General Prison Talk Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in California that do not fit into any other California subforum.

Old 06-07-2020, 10:55 AM

Unhappy Need some support...

My Fiance, P, is at CHCF and is awaiting a kidney/pancreas transplant (was put on hold, thanks COVID). He has been in ad seg since September due to some threats on his life - there was a weapon possession charge against him that has been dropped. After several classification meetings, he finally was approved to move to Donovan where he would be able to continue receiving dialysis until his transplant. This move was approved right as they started movement again within CDCR.

Midweek, last week, he received a letter from the transplant hospital saying that they, along with CDCR, have decided to resume transplant surgeries. P was given a COVID test (has to be negative before transplant hospital will take him. Then suddenly, on Friday he was told he was being moved to the hole because his bed was needed for someone else. (He was in a room that had a hospital bed, the whole 9) He's not going to the hole as punishment (they let him call me to tell me he was being moved there for crying out loud - I don't think this is normal)

P, when he was segregated in the non-hospital side of CHCF and didn't have access to his diabetic "kit" with sugars, etc, fell into a diabetic coma like 2 times. He won't have access again.

So, after all that rambling, I guess what I am looking for is some advice on how to deal with him being in the hole. I'm very much aware that most of this is outside my locus of control but is there anything I can do? Are his rights (I know he doesn't have many) being violated? How do I get through this? I'm worried sick. I don't have anyone to talk to that truly understands what I'm going through.. I just need some
Thanks for listening.
K

Last edited by JustLilOlMe1012; 06-07-2020 at 11:20 AM..
Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-2020, 04:31 PM
Lil British Site Moderator

Thanked 12,218 Times in 5,109 Posts

Hi there, unfortunately I cant help I dont have the info you need but I hope one of members can assist.

Who cares what they say about us? Because when I am with you I am standing with an army.
The Following User Says Thank You to maytayah For This Useful Post:
JustLilOlMe1012 (06-07-2020)
Old 06-07-2020, 05:22 PM

Thanked 1,218 Times in 550 Posts

In California it must be different but in Illinois, when you are incarcerated you don't qualify for a transplant. Is the transplant planned for when he is released?
The Following User Says Thank You to trauma4us For This Useful Post:
JustLilOlMe1012 (06-07-2020)
Old 06-07-2020, 10:16 PM

Nope, He will get it while he's in. He almost had it pre covid but one of the organs was no good (he was prepped for the OR and everything, so disappointing) I would think that a transplant is something they would have to cover since the state has an 'obligation ' to keep them alive. Thank goodness we are here in CA.
Old 06-08-2020, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustLilOlMe1012 View Post
My Fiance, P, is at CHCF and is awaiting a kidney/pancreas transplant (was put on hold, thanks COVID). He has been in ad seg since September due to some threats on his life - there was a weapon possession charge against him that has been dropped. After several classification meetings, he finally was approved to move to Donovan where he would be able to continue receiving dialysis until his transplant. This move was approved right as they started movement again within CDCR.

Midweek, last week, he received a letter from the transplant hospital saying that they, along with CDCR, have decided to resume transplant surgeries. P was given a COVID test (has to be negative before transplant hospital will take him. Then suddenly, on Friday he was told he was being moved to the hole because his bed was needed for someone else. (He was in a room that had a hospital bed, the whole 9) He's not going to the hole as punishment (they let him call me to tell me he was being moved there for crying out loud - I don't think this is normal)

P, when he was segregated in the non-hospital side of CHCF and didn't have access to his diabetic "kit" with sugars, etc, fell into a diabetic coma like 2 times. He won't have access again.

So, after all that rambling, I guess what I am looking for is some advice on how to deal with him being in the hole. I'm very much aware that most of this is outside my locus of control but is there anything I can do? Are his rights (I know he doesn't have many) being violated? How do I get through this? I'm worried sick. I don't have anyone to talk to that truly understands what I'm going through.. I just need some
Thanks for listening.
K

I guess you can call the prison councilor or Chaplin and ask them to keep a watchful eye on your LO while he's in seg and ask them if they could please make sure that he gets his diabetes meds. Other than that I don't think that there's anything else that you could do.
The Following User Says Thank You to Born For This Useful Post:
JustLilOlMe1012 (06-08-2020)
Old 06-08-2020, 03:04 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,726 Times in 734 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustLilOlMe1012 View Post

Thanks for listening.
K
Trying to parse your message. There is a short time limit the prison can keep him in non-disciplinary Ad-seg. You mentioned a weapons charge that was dropped so the initial long Ad-seg stretch may have been tied to that.

His bed being needed for someone else. If they can't send him to original yard for safety reasons, I guess they can send him to Ad-seg for a short time. They need to file justifying paperwork to CDCR headquarters in Sacramento if he is to stay there for much more than a week or so. It would not be unusual for him to be there pending transfer to the next prison - Donovan. They need to soon return him to the bed he had (or similar) or send him to Donovan. Or he files a 602.
The Following User Says Thank You to gvalliant For This Useful Post:
JustLilOlMe1012 (06-08-2020)
Old 06-08-2020, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvalliant View Post
Trying to parse your message. There is a short time limit the prison can keep him in non-disciplinary Ad-seg. You mentioned a weapons charge that was dropped so the initial long Ad-seg stretch may have been tied to that.

His bed being needed for someone else. If they can't send him to original yard for safety reasons, I guess they can send him to Ad-seg for a short time. They need to file justifying paperwork to CDCR headquarters in Sacramento if he is to stay there for much more than a week or so. It would not be unusual for him to be there pending transfer to the next prison - Donovan. They need to soon return him to the bed he had (or similar) or send him to Donovan. Or he files a 602.
Thank you on the insight that it could be connected to the transfer to Donovan. That is what I will tell myself until I get word from him. For my own sanities sake.