Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > World Prison News
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

World Prison News Post info (IF it doesn't belong in another PTO forum) about the prison system, prisoner support, criminal justice, etc., that you learn firsthand, through the media, from an inmate, or any other source. News can be local, state, Federal, or int'l.

Old 07-07-2015, 08:53 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,938 Times in 882 Posts
Default Very disturbing story/video of minors imprisoned in our system

Warning this is difficult to read and even more difficult to watch.

http://highline.huffingtonpost.com/a...ushpmg00000003
The Following User Says Thank You to shs76 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (07-08-2015)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-2015, 01:01 AM
Crazy Cajun Admin
Donation Award 

Thanked 19,621 Times in 7,588 Posts

I could only read through 3/4 of the story before I became physically ill. We have a huge problem in this country.

Old 07-10-2015, 07:10 AM

Wow, Couldn't watch the video but the story was heartbreaking. I can only hope that enough pressure from recent lawsuits will help. I pray for all the kids in prison having to live with this . When will it stop?
Old 10-12-2015, 03:27 PM

I too felt sick reading this story and was brought to tears by it. I'll admit I was naive about our prison system before it touched my family. I always thought it was just and fair. I pray that we can find a better way to treat those who break the law. We need to think about rehabilitation as well as punishment.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wintermisk For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (10-12-2015), MariaFairmaiden (10-12-2015)
Old 10-12-2015, 07:47 PM

I'm now wishing I hadn't watched the video and read this story. It makes me sick. I noted this:
"There is also significant evidence showing that the parts of the brain that govern decision making and understanding consequences don’t finish developing until as late as 25."

People who never have to deal with the prison system, or have a loved one in the prison system, should count themselves extremely lucky. I don't know what else to say. We've created a real hell for people, and the saddest thing is, if you don't have someone you care about in prison, you would never know about it, nor probably care.

Tatonkawia
fbopnomore (10-13-2015), Lordbew/us (10-14-2015), MariaFairmaiden (10-12-2015), Rosomane (10-16-2015), WeepingWillow (10-21-2015)
Old 10-13-2015, 07:45 AM

I'm petrified that my girls will become statistics! It scares the hell out of me and my husband, and I wrote the judge about it before sentencing. They don't care, because they'll just blame the parents! They have only known their daddy in prison ((minus the 3 years he was home), and he's tough, so they try to be like him. He is a wonderful father and he disciplines from behind the barbwire, but there are some things that having a parent in prison just can't fix. Without getting started on my whole "prison is not a rehabilitation or a reform " box, I just want to state that our government and justice system are NOT teaching our children the value of life. Yes, punishment for wrong doing is necessary, but keeping parents away from families when they can (most stand a better chance anyway) rehabilitate out here, only causes anger, resentment, and in most cases hatred. Sorry...this story just killed me and my day. All I can do is raise them with high expectations and pray that they choose better. Hopefully they'll follow our older kids' steps, but there's already resentment due to them having had Chris while growing up.
fbopnomore (10-13-2015)
Old 12-09-2016, 02:31 AM

The video was disturbing... I could only read a little bit...