Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

California General Prison Talk Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in California that do not fit into any other California subforum.

Old 04-20-2020, 07:59 PM

Default Need info on CA Level IV Institutions -ie cell size, ventilation etc

Hi .. I'm new to the site, so I apologize in advance if I break any rules.

I'm an attorney representing the family of a 22 y/o California resident who is fighting extradition from Germany. If convicted, he will be sent to a Level IV (maximum security) prison. Working with a group of German lawyers, we've been able to convince a high-level German court to view the prison over-crowding issue as a potential human rights violation.

What the German court wants to know, beyond population and capacity statistics (which I already have), is information on cell sizes, number of inmates per cell, and approximate square footage per inmate. The court is also asking for info on ventilation issues, windows, sanitation and washing, food and meals, and health care.

So I'm looking for first-hand information from prisoners who are living under those conditions and are willing to describe them in a formal affidavit.

While I am limiting this only to California maximum security facilities, I would love to talk to anyone who has similar information about the Los Angeles County Jail system because that's where the client will be housed awaiting trial.

Thank you for any ideas or information.

Carl
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Carl92101 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (04-21-2020), sidewalker (04-21-2020)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2020, 08:05 PM
PTO Administrator
Donation Award 

Thanked 37,452 Times in 17,276 Posts

Hi Carl Because your questions are state specific, I've moved your thread to the California forum. I hope you find the info you need
Welcome to PTO!

patchouli, PTO Admin

Old 04-21-2020, 05:55 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD
Donation Award 

Thanked 33,091 Times in 16,533 Posts

conditions will likely vary depending on what facility the person would be at.
Some are better than others. None are too great.

The Following User Says Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
miamac (04-21-2020)
Old 04-21-2020, 12:17 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,725 Times in 733 Posts

CA prisons were mostly built from late 80's to early 2000's using the same blueprint. Level 4 (max), level 3 (high), and some level 2 (medium) security are cell living. I don't believe there is difference in cell size between them and I don't know exact size. Ballpark is maybe 10 X 7 something like that. I hope someone who has been in a level 4 cell can give you a proper answer.

Most are 2 inmates per cell. In level 4 it would be surprising to see anyone with a single cell status. The living details re windows, ventilation - again I think all prisons built in that circa 1990's building frenzy are similar.

The living condition "design" that max level 4's differ from lower levels is that they have more armed guards, including armed guards inside (lethal weapons). And less program opportunities than lower levels.

The living condition that probably most distinguishes max security is the violence and incidence stats. High in all the level 4's, numbers are buried in Compstat data if you have that. Suicides, attempts, homicides, attempts, deaths, riots - if the courts give any consideration to that. That info is available (mostly) without trying to find someone to give Declarations & Affidavits.
The Following User Says Thank You to gvalliant For This Useful Post:
miamac (04-21-2020)
Old 04-21-2020, 01:32 PM
Site Moderator

Thanked 23,988 Times in 8,426 Posts

If this is pre-sentencing, there are more than end-goal variables. As you stated, he will go to county first. That is arguably the "worst" time for most future inmates. Housing there depends on the jurisdiction, needs of the inmate and available accommodations (think mental and physical health, disciplinary or targeted inmate). Post county they will go to reception where privileges are limited and they face 4-6 months of waiting to be classified.

And then comes the home prison, which as has been mentioned, can vary depending on where they are sent. SQ, Folsom-- old prisons. Kern Valley, new'ish. I believe SQ still hand locks each cell where Kern Valley is fully automated. That's a tiny drop in the bucket of differences.

Other factors include overcrowding issues (which have mostly been tamped at the upper levels), yard flips (SNY vs mainline and the phasing out of one), administrative regs the flux like breathing, and not the least factor-- inmate behavior. AdSeg is a whole different ballgame.

So this is a tough question. I have a former Level 4 inmate willing to exchange emails with you regarding the subject. I will PM you.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
gvalliant (04-21-2020), sidewalker (04-22-2020)