Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Prison Talk Does your issue not fit into another forum? Post it here. Find support, answers and assistance.

Old 06-22-2020, 08:59 AM

Default Questions about travel when he's out.

Can someone point me in the direction of a thread for help with felonies? I want to know things like if they can take cruises, get passports, what countries they can/can't visit, things like that. He does well with employment so I'm not worried about that.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-2020, 06:36 AM
Super Moderator
Donation Award 

Thanked 9,381 Times in 3,648 Posts

Jacob's Girl, I moved your post to the General Prison Talk forum. You should get a lot of help from people there.

All of your questions will depend on the type of crime committed. Remember also, that just because they can get a passport doesn't mean the country they're going to will allow them through immigration.
The Following User Says Thank You to GingerM For This Useful Post:
Jacob's Girl (06-23-2020)
Old 06-23-2020, 07:06 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD
Donation Award 

Thanked 32,539 Times in 16,284 Posts

Depends on if he will be on supervision.
Also as Ginger says, he may not be allowed to enter a country, depending on his charges.

Old 06-23-2020, 08:14 AM

No supervision. Clear and free, past parole, all that. I get conflicting answers about cruises. What if we just stay in the boat? We want to travel but need to know our limitations. I found several websites on which countries accept and which don't. I was hoping there was just an old thread I could read over lol. Guess not. The main thing I can't find a definitive answer on is the cruise situation.
Old 06-23-2020, 08:18 AM
Donation Award 

I dont know this for sure but i have heard that some cruise lines wont even allow you on board. So for sure check, prior to booking a cruise.
Sorry I cant help more. But research, research research.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
dtmom2013 (06-23-2020), fbopnomore (06-23-2020), Jacob's Girl (06-23-2020)
Old 06-23-2020, 09:05 AM
Site Moderator
Donation Award 

Thanked 23,840 Times in 13,683 Posts

He will also need to check the laws in every State he plans to visit. Some States, including Florida, have public "felon registries" with severe criminal penalties (like for sex offenders) for failing to register within a few days of physically arriving there. No probation/parole is a good thing, but there are still some traps to catch the unsuspecting.

The cruise ship company decides who can board, and who can't, so check with them before you buy your tickets.

Passport offices have been impacted by the virus pandemic, so expect delays.

Countries also have their own immigration rules, so be sure to check with each one, before you appear at the border..

Canada is a difficult place to even visit, even after they reopen their borders.
Old 06-23-2020, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbopnomore View Post
He will also need to check the laws in every State he plans to visit. Some States, including Florida, have public "felon registries" with severe criminal penalties (like for sex offenders) for failing to register within a few days of physically arriving there. No probation/parole is a good thing, but there are still some traps to catch the unsuspecting.

The cruise ship company decides who can board, and who can't, so check with them before you buy your tickets.

Passport offices have been impacted by the virus pandemic, so expect delays.

Countries also have their own immigration rules, so be sure to check with each one, before you appear at the border..

Canada is a difficult place to even visit, even after they reopen their borders.
Yeah, we knew Canada was a no lol. And I just learned about the registries! Crazy huh? Thanks btw
The Following User Says Thank You to Jacob's Girl For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (06-24-2020)
Old 06-30-2020, 11:52 AM
Attorney

If a cruise has scheduled port calls in different countries, you will need a passport or other documents as ordered to board. This is true even for cruises to the southern Caribbean where some of the virgin islands are under British, Dutch, or French authority. You cannot simply agree not to get off the boat in those locations.

As to your other questions, he *should* be able to get a passport. Whether any individual country will allow him entry is something he'll need to check and verify with each country beforehand. Keep in mind that each country is sovereign, and just like we seem to change our immigration laws and policies at the drop of a hat, so too can other countries. Don't rely on old lists.

Last, check and verify with each country BEFORE purchasing tickets. Airlines and cruise ships don't make or enforce immigration or visitor policies; they will allow you to purchase tickets and board with the requisite passport. What happens when you arrive in various countries is another matter. You don't want to get somewhere and denied entry, only to be held in a foreign airport or worse (e.g. jail / immigrant detention facility) and forced to return home on the next flight.
The Following User Says Thank You to enigmaingr For This Useful Post:
sidewalker (07-01-2020)
Old 06-30-2020, 02:54 PM

Most if not all countries will not allow him within their borders due to his conviction and length of time spent in prison. And there no getting around this issue. You would have more luck traveling within the confinement of the usa and its 42 states
Old 06-30-2020, 03:44 PM

We've been looking for places to travel, outside the US, with a felony conviction on record and finally gave up the entire thought. Most countries will not allow you to enter with a felony on your record, and for those that might based on circumstances, it's not worth the cost/risk of traveling overseas and either getting denied entry, being detained at point of entry or being allowed entry only to run afoul of authorities at a later date.

So, we've finally settled on exploring the US which has so many magnificent places to see.

The F label will follow us all around for the rest of our lives and we are excluded from doing things we once might have done before the conviction.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ElMaestro For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (06-30-2020), safran (06-30-2020), sidewalker (07-01-2020)
Old 06-30-2020, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElMaestro View Post
We've been looking for places to travel, outside the US, with a felony conviction on record and finally gave up the entire thought. Most countries will not allow you to enter with a felony on your record, and for those that might based on circumstances, it's not worth the cost/risk of traveling overseas and either getting denied entry, being detained at point of entry or being allowed entry only to run afoul of authorities at a later date.

So, we've finally settled on exploring the US which has so many magnificent places to see.

The F label will follow us all around for the rest of our lives and we are excluded from doing things we once might have done before the conviction.
NotTrue....I go to Mexico all the time, even while on probation. You can go to Scotland and many other places too. Check the State Dept. website.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Desertdweller11 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (06-30-2020), Jacob's Girl (07-01-2020), saskatchewanian (07-02-2020)
Old 06-30-2020, 06:50 PM
Owned

Thanked 4,598 Times in 2,082 Posts

https://www.uspassporthelpguide.com/...lon-can-visit/
fbopnomore (06-30-2020), Jacob's Girl (07-01-2020)
Old 06-30-2020, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertdweller11 View Post
NotTrue....I go to Mexico all the time, even while on probation. You can go to Scotland and many other places too. Check the State Dept. website.
Plenty of legal forums have convicted felons saying they were denied entry to Mexico even though they were eventually granted a US Passport again.

In no way am I saying you're wrong, I'm just saying we've researched it pretty heavily and talked to a few attorneys and it's just not worth the risk of being denied entry or being detained. YMMV.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ElMaestro For This Useful Post:
Jacob's Girl (07-01-2020), sidewalker (07-01-2020)
Old 07-01-2020, 05:46 AM
Donation Award 

I know of one guy who traveled to another county to visit his wife. (she lived overseas) He checked everything out........fly in....and was detained for several hours, questioned, had all his stuff looked and poked thru, only to be put back on a plane and returned to the US.
He's a friend of mine. He did his due diligence and checked and double checked with everyone prior to going.

The Following User Says Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (07-01-2020)
Old 07-01-2020, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewalker View Post
I know of one guy who traveled to another county to visit his wife. (she lived overseas) He checked everything out........fly in....and was detained for several hours, questioned, had all his stuff looked and poked thru, only to be put back on a plane and returned to the US.
He's a friend of mine. He did his due diligence and checked and double checked with everyone prior to going.

This is true, It doesn't matter how much you comply with the other countries regulations and how open you are with your record. If you're a felon and have been imprisoned for more that 12 months there is no way in hell that another country will let you in.
Old 07-01-2020, 11:46 PM

Thanks, everyone for your responses. I had read he can get a passport and will need it for the cruises and just to stay on board. Does this seem to be the consensus?

He claims he can get dual citizenship with some country and then use that to visit other ones. I'll worry about that later, like when the world gets back to normal=lol and closer to his release. In the meantime, I won't worry about visiting other countries-at least not for now.
Old 07-03-2020, 11:35 AM
Attorney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob's Girl View Post
Thanks, everyone for your responses. I had read he can get a passport and will need it for the cruises and just to stay on board. Does this seem to be the consensus?

I would say if he gets a passport, you should be fine on most cruises. In my limited cruising experience, none of the port calls really checked passports like you would see in an airport; it was literally "hold the passport up and continue walking" - and most of the time, the port agents, or whatever they are called, weren't even looking; just waving and smiling. And so I don't think he would even need to stay on the ship.
The Following User Says Thank You to enigmaingr For This Useful Post:
Jacob's Girl (07-03-2020)
Old 07-05-2020, 12:26 AM
Southern Fried Site Moderator on Leave

Thanked 3,944 Times in 1,346 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob's Girl View Post

He claims he can get dual citizenship with some country and then use that to visit other ones. I'll worry about that later, like when the world gets back to normal=lol and closer to his release. In the meantime, I won't worry about visiting other countries-at least not for now.

My husband has about 15 felonies and we have no problem traveling. He has a passport, has been on cruises, and flown to a few countries outside the US.

The only place he hasnít been able to go is Canada - he can apply to visit 5 years after his conviction date or end of sentence or something like that.

Buuuut unfortunately things are changing in 2021 and heíll be unable to visit a large number of places in Europe. Disappointing but nothing we can do.
Old 07-05-2020, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeepingWillow View Post
My husband has about 15 felonies and we have no problem traveling. He has a passport, has been on cruises, and flown to a few countries outside the US.

The only place he hasnít been able to go is Canada - he can apply to visit 5 years after his conviction date or end of sentence or something like that.

Buuuut unfortunately things are changing in 2021 and heíll be unable to visit a large number of places in Europe. Disappointing but nothing we can do.
What's changing? That's Gtk about everything else. Thanks!
Old 07-05-2020, 09:53 AM
Southern Fried Site Moderator on Leave

Thanked 3,944 Times in 1,346 Posts

ETIAS.
The EU is starting to use an electronic system like we do to track the people coming into their countries. You can still go without a visa, but you have to apply for a travel authorization and they do a background check.

The general consensus seems to be anyone whoís served more the three years in prison for a felony wonít be allowed in, plus some other exclusions.

But I just realized Covid set the start back a year - itís not being put into place until 2022.