Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TEXAS > Texas Parole, Probation, Work Release & Community Service
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Texas Parole, Probation, Work Release & Community Service All information & questions relating to parole, probation, work release & community service in the State of Texas should be posted here. Also found here is information in creating Parole Packets, discussion of Parole Attorneys, etc.

Old 06-16-2020, 08:11 PM

Default Consecutive sentences and first time up for parole

My son has a two consecutive sentences. First one is a 10 year sentence and the 2nd one is for 20 years. He is up for parole this November 2020 for the 10 year sentence. If he is given parole he will start the 20 year sentence and will come up for parole after serving 10 years of the 20. He is in as a sex offender. He has been a model inmate. We as parents have written a support letter and so has his 17 and 15 year old children. These letters were sent in June. A friend is also writing a support letter. I have been told first parole isn't given out but since he has more years to serve would this be given any consideration? Also should we write more letters of support or is it too late for that. His status states he is up for review. Can anyone give me an insight on this matter?
Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-2020, 10:49 PM

Default first time parole

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelma1951 View Post
My son has a two consecutive sentences. First one is a 10 year sentence and the 2nd one is for 20 years. He is up for parole this November 2020 for the 10 year sentence. If he is given parole he will start the 20 year sentence and will come up for parole after serving 10 years of the 20. He is in as a sex offender. He has been a model inmate. We as parents have written a support letter and so has his 17 and 15 year old children. These letters were sent in June. A friend is also writing a support letter. I have been told first parole isn't given out but since he has more years to serve would this be given any consideration? Also should we write more letters of support or is it too late for that. His status states he is up for review. Can anyone give me an insight on this matter?

Hello, do ya'll have a parole attorney, or are you put together a parole packet on your own? I do not think it is too late to send more support letters but I am no expert. I am actually dealing with a similar situation with my husband. his first parole review hearing is October 2021. I am in the process of learning all of this as of you. But, in my opinion and what i have heard. the more support letters the better. also, you want to make sure that any good certificates he has achieved while incarcerated are included in the parole packet to show he has been the model inmate. Who know's what can happen, people say the first one is never granted, but Don't loose hope. Is he up for review in November? Or is he already in review with the parole board? You are not alone in this situation, just remember that and I pray for you and your son and your whole family. I am also overwhelmed doing this parole stuff for my husband it is tough to know everything. I would recommend hiring a parole lawyer if you have not. But, I know people do it on their own as well. But with sensitive cases like sex offender cases hiring a professional would be best to have that background of knowledge and support from them. God bless you and I am happy to help in any way if I can.

Sincerely,

Mrs. DelaGarza
The Following User Says Thank You to Mrs.DeLaGarza For This Useful Post:
thelma1951 (06-18-2020)
Old 06-29-2020, 08:57 PM

No one should tell you first paroles aren’t given. They aren’t handed out freely, but they do happen......everyday. We got one, so I know they happen. I also know many who receive multiple set-offs. Every case is different and there are a lot of variables. Don’t lose hope.

Our parole attorney suggestedn3-5 well written support letters, rather than a flood of mediocre ones. Don’t waste your time saying, ”We love him and want/need him home.” That won’t work. They need a reason to believe he is a good risk.....give them something to grab onto and believe he will be successful. Except a program to be required.

Good luck!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to satx18 For This Useful Post:
dtmom2013 (07-03-2020), patchouli (06-29-2020)
Old 06-30-2020, 06:50 AM
The Cowtown Moderator

Thanked 6,530 Times in 1,778 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelma1951 View Post
There’s much to consider when it comes to “reading in between the lines” concerning parole and I would dare say in your situation that which is to be considered is not good. Your son may well be faced with a considerable amount of time to do before release comes along. The fact that his sentences are consecutive or stacked as it’s also referred to as a type of red flag or signal sent from the courts to the parole board. Its’s like the “bad housekeeping seal of approval” recommended from one state entity (judicial/courts) to (executive/Parole Board) that basically condemns someone. When you add the “sex offense” conviction to it that makes it worse.
It’s hard enough for someone without a sex offense whose sentences run concurrent to make parole, but when you add those 2 factors into the possibility of parole (sex offense + consecutive sentencing) there are some hurdles to get over in the early going that are not probable in overtaking.
You would have to have a substantial amount of money (at least $25,000) and the very best of parole attorneys to have a real chance at first parole and even then, I would lean towards doubt more so than hope. It’s the consecutive sentencing that stands out the most, but when you add to it the fact that a sex offense is involved, it’s best to be real about what the future more than likely holds. Hope is an important tool we all need and reach for where prison is concerned and the “when does it end” part, but there is also false hope as well, when we hope for something or expect something that is not realistic in the scope of things and what is to come.
I know that times are hard enough right now in your life as a Mom and what your son is faced with. I hope that I am incorrect about what I’m saying to you, but I would take it to heart and brace myself for what the future holds. You need to protect your mind and your emotions in this situation and it’s better in achieving that when we know the truth. His situation does not look good and I would prepare myself for the later than sooner aspect of when he comes home.