Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to the Federal Prison & the Criminal Justice System that do not fit into any other Federal sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 06-03-2018, 11:22 AM

Default SS on July 2nd at Bryan Federal Camp. Need Info Pleas

I am scheduled to SS on July 2nd to Bryan Federal Camp in Bryan, Texas. I was wanting any helpful information on people who have been there or known people there. One big question is will I be able to hold my 2 year old when she visits me? What major things will I need first from commissary? Will it be costly to call home everyday? In may qualify for RDAP so I'm looking for any extra "time off" suggestions for a 41 month sentence. Any information is greatly appreciated. Thank ya'll
Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-2018, 05:49 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 19,231 Times in 11,316 Posts

If you will call a phone that is a local number to Bryan, the cost is 6 cents/min, 21 cents/min if it is outside of their local call area. Minor children can visit as long as they are accompanied by an adult who is an authorized visitor. You should be able to hold your infant daughter, but that will be up to the COs on visiting duty that day.

Here's a link to a recent PTO thread about first commissary purchases in federal prison.
http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=698716

and to the bop web page for the Bryan commissary list.
https://www.bop.gov/locations/instit...Y_CommList.pdf
Old 06-03-2018, 07:37 PM

Wow I didn't think it was that much to call home. And I have read you only get 300 minutes a month? Do you have to pay to email for video chat?
Old 06-04-2018, 07:02 AM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

I don't know if video chat is available. Email costs you 5 cents for every minute you are logged into the system to read or write messages,

300 phone minutes per month with an extra 100 in Nov. & Dec. Commissary spending limit is around $325.00 with an extra $50.00 in Nov. & Dec. Your phone minutes and commissary spending limit will roll over to the next month on the same day: the 5th number in your bop ID# (xxxxX-xxx) times 3, plus one, so if your number is 3, you will get new limits on the 10th of the month, with no carryover of unused limits from the previous month.
Old 06-07-2018, 10:51 PM

It will be easy to use up that 300 minutes quickly if you call home every day, and stay on all 15 mins of phone time.
Then, you will not very be able to call until the next month date to renew comes around.
So, you may want to call every other day in the beginning, and ease it down to once or twice a week eventually. Supplement with short emails to home. Learn to type quickly.

Have money put on your account as soon as you get there, because you will need to get things to start. The people who have been inmates can help you better than I can on what specifically. Also it will depend on your gender.
If you owe court mandated/ordered fees or fines, be aware that those payments will be taken out of your spending account money, unless it is paid for ahead of time at the clerk of the court.
If it is, be sure to get a receipt and make several copies, because you will need to bring one to show them inside.
You also need to show them that you have your HS diploma or GED, or they make you take classes. Unless this has changed.
A local phone number can be obtained several ways and you can find out about that if you search the forums. Even getting a cheap cell phone you can call with a local number helps.
Also, if you need dental work get it now because waiting for a dental appointment can be 2 years or more. There is a lot more info on the forums if you search. Good luck.

The Following User Says Thank You to do97jdl For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (06-07-2018)
Old 06-08-2018, 06:22 AM

We use google voice and calls to me are only $.90/each. We talk every other day for the 15 mins and on occasion every day or twice a day if something more urgent comes up. Some people talk every day for 5-10 mins, but the 15 minutes go so fast, that we decided it was better to talk every other. You'll figure out what works best for you.

As for email, we email all the time. For some people it can be costly. It costs money to print pages too, but it just depends on how frequently you need to print. One way to keep costs down on email is to limit how often you check it. The more you check, the more costly it will be since you're more likely to respond every time you have an email so the going back and forth will cost more. So if you're checking less often, it's less back and forth.

You'll have a job too, but at most only make about $20/month, so that barely pays for anything.

Your first month's commissary is the most expensive, after that you can get by minimally. It just depends on how much extra stuff you buy. My husband doesn't really buy food at the commissary, yet he has seen guys spend $50/week on chips and crap like that.

He went in December to a cold place, so he had to buy extra sweatshirts, sweatpants, and long underwear. You won't have that issue in Texas, so you may be able to get by with spending less.

And yes, with your restitution, they will take I think $25/quarter towards restitution, so the more money you get sent in, the more they take. If you don't have a lot sent in, then I don't think they take the full $25/quarter. So that's something to consider as well.
Old 06-08-2018, 07:40 AM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

Here's the program statement about the "inmate financial responsibility program", IFRP.
https://www.bop.gov/policy/progstat/5380_008.pdf

For me it was zero at the beginning, then the minimum, $25.00 every quarter for one year, after which the amount is based on the total money I had available in my inmate account during that year. Mine went to $75.00 a month until it was paid off completely. If you opt out (you can) it results in a commissary restriction and not being eligible to end your sentence in a half way house or on home confinement. Another bop "voluntary" program where you are punished for not volunteering.