Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Prison Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal Prison Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Use this forum to discuss Federal prison Visitation info & issues, Phones, Packages & Mail issues & topics.

Old 11-21-2017, 07:55 AM

Default How Long before I can call/email?

I am being sentenced Monday for white collar crimes in Greensboro, NC, and I am anticipating 2-4 years as a sentence. If I am not allowed to self-surrender, what would you say is the longest time Iíll gave to wait before getting phone privileges? If I have to travel to OK and then to Butner or Columbia or wherever my facility is, will I get phone access during transit times and/or in OK while I wait? How long after arriving at my facility will I likely get those privileges?

Iím trying to make sure my wife is reasonably informed and has realistic expectations about how long it might be before she hears from me.

Iím super scared and apprehensive, so any I formation would be appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-2017, 09:57 AM

Did you take a plea deal? Do you know what security designation you are going to?
Old 11-21-2017, 10:03 AM

Took a plea. Going to a camp.
Old 11-21-2017, 10:25 AM

I would think it is pretty likely you will be able to SS. I do not believe you can make any calls while you are in transit. No one knows how long it will take for you to actually get there because the BOP is like turtles and every case is different.

I have a family member that got out in April for white collar crimes from a camp after serving 15 months. His original sentence was 30 months. You are welcome to PM me if I can answer any questions.
The Following User Says Thank You to priceam For This Useful Post:
uncchapelhill (11-21-2017)
Old 11-21-2017, 10:27 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 17,341 Times in 10,464 Posts

It depends on your judge, but being allowed to self surrender to a minimum security camp happens all the time. If you are remanded to custody, it will depend on where the marshals first take you. Expect to remain there for months, but you can be activated on the phone (email?) system there. You need to meet with your bop counselor as soon as possible and they will add you to the prison's phone system within a week.

Then you will wait for the designation office in Texas to figure out where they will send you for your sentence. The end of the year slows everything down considerably, and once you are designated to a home prison, they will decide how to move you there. All inmate transfers stop for a week or two over the holidays, plus there is no way to predict how, and when you will actually be moved there. A somewhat direct routing is not usually a consideration, so you may not pass through any of the stops (or all of them) that you mentioned.

I was remanded in November, and then moved all over the country for 6 months before I arrived where I was going. It was easily the hardest part of my entire sentence, so being allowed to self surrender is a huge benefit..
Old 11-21-2017, 10:33 AM
Heathen Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 2,055 Times in 1,054 Posts

I'll second what fbop said....BOP slows down to a stupid slow speed at the end of the year. Ask your attorney to push for SS and you'll likely get it since you are already out, there's obviously no flight risk. You don't want to get stuck in the Marshals loop around the holidays from holding to OK transfer center to wherever.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fridyrr.Likn For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (11-21-2017)
Old 11-21-2017, 10:46 AM

I know some people who have gotten to their designated prison within a couple of weeks. You just never know how long it will all take.

Pray for SS
The Following User Says Thank You to priceam For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (11-21-2017)