Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Prison Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal Prison Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Use this forum to discuss Federal prison Visitation info & issues, Phones, Packages & Mail issues & topics.

Old 09-01-2017, 05:14 PM

Default Husband Transfer to FCI Petersburg Medium: How long before calls / visits?

Hi, my husband just transfered to FCI Petersburg Medium this past Wednesday. Does anyone know how long does it take before they can call get visits? Any information about this place will also be appreciated.

Help! Help! Help! I sent money through western union online. I am not sure if it went through. It still says available for pick up. Do you need to put their middle name? How soon can they start receiving money? Who do you contact for inmate banking information?

Any help will truly be appreciated. We use to talk everyday so not hearing his voice and knowing if he is okay is driving me crazy.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-2017, 06:34 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 17,309 Times in 10,447 Posts

To have everything activated on the Petersburg computers is totally dependent on when he gets to meet with his new counselor, which depends on the counselor's schedule. If this is his first stop in a bop owned prison, getting set up will probably take longer than if he was activated at another prison in the system.

Phone and visitor's lists can be imported from his last bop owned prison, his 9 digit phone pin stays the same, so it usually takes anywhere from a couple of days to a week (unless the counselor is on vacation). Any money that remained on his inmate commissary account at his previous location will automatically follow him too.

As long as you know his bop inmate ID number (xxxxx-xxx) you can deposit money to his account. "Available to be picked up" probably means he has not been able to use his account at Petersburg yet, but the money will be there when he can. The main reason is either waiting for his counselor, or being parked in the SHU while waiting for a general population bed to become available.

The only way for you to get information about his account is if he tells you himself. He can check his commissary and phone account balances using the telephone and his pin number. To get details of when deposits (and withdrawals) happened, and who deposited money is available to him on the one terminal which is located at the commissary building.
Old 10-22-2017, 10:55 AM

My guy just landed here too. He was in a county awaiting transfer, it had been about two weeks since he had been sentenced. The inmate locator never showed "in transit", just said "not in BOP custody" until all of a sudden he had a release date and no other information, I didn't hear from him that night and the next morning it said Petersburg FCI Medium. Does this mean this is his final destination or could he still be in the moving process? The money I sent has been saying "awaiting pickup" for three days, as well, but I haven't worried too much because I read the previous post, so thank you for that. Any info on how all of this works helps me stay calm!! Haven't heard from him in five days and have no idea when I might and any insights are SO appreciated. This is not an easy period but this too shall pass, right?
Old 10-22-2017, 02:44 PM

It took four days for him to get everything situated. Again it all depends on when the counselors are there and when things gentle settle. If they say he is at Petersburg Medium that that is his final destination. It will only change if he moves to Low which happened to us. I know its tough but this too shall pass. Once he gets settled I'm sure you are his first priority.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarol View Post
My guy just landed here too. He was in a county awaiting transfer, it had been about two weeks since he had been sentenced. The inmate locator never showed "in transit", just said "not in BOP custody" until all of a sudden he had a release date and no other information, I didn't hear from him that night and the next morning it said Petersburg FCI Medium. Does this mean this is his final destination or could he still be in the moving process? The money I sent has been saying "awaiting pickup" for three days, as well, but I haven't worried too much because I read the previous post, so thank you for that. Any info on how all of this works helps me stay calm!! Haven't heard from him in five days and have no idea when I might and any insights are SO appreciated. This is not an easy period but this too shall pass, right?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jenkie For This Useful Post:
dcarol (10-23-2017), fbopnomore (10-22-2017)
Old 10-23-2017, 05:30 PM

You are the best! Thank you so much. I still haven't heard from him, but I'm sure it will be soon. I'm really thankful to know that's his final destination - at least for now. Reading the posts I've read on this site makes me realize how lucky we both are that that is the case. I know it seems long now but at least I have faith it won't drag out for months and months while we wait to see where he'll be settled. I'm very thankful for that. My waiting is nothing compared to what he's going through, so I'm just very grateful this whole transfer process is over for him. Thanks again. You've helped me more than you know..
The Following User Says Thank You to dcarol For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (10-23-2017)
Old 10-23-2017, 06:50 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 17,309 Times in 10,447 Posts

I was in both Petersburg low and medium for a total of 4 years. Both were high on my list of decent federal prisons, so he could have done much worse. I hope he has a similar experience to what I had.