Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Prison Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal Prison Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Use this forum to discuss Federal prison Visitation info & issues, Phones, Packages & Mail issues & topics.

Old 06-14-2016, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TawnyStar View Post
Alright I want to open ideas about not going the long route and to simply say that you knew them beforehand. I'm not suggesting anyone encourage people to stretch the truth, but couldn't this make it easier for all parties?

I just got a visitation form from a federal prison. My inmate friend says “I have heard that it's mandatory to have known the person before coming to the SMU. How are they going to know or prove that?”, essentially insinuating to go ahead and say I knew him beforehand. But apparently it doesn't sound like he has a lot of experience in this process hehe.

SO, I have been on visiting lists before (for state prisons). I've always been truthful and had no doubt I would get on. Obviously this is different standards now. I have no criminal record. However I was going to mark “no” that I didn't know him prior and list other people I write. But once it's done, it's done and I can't take it back, so I want to be sure I know it's the right thing to do.

After reading this thread, it seems to me if they will deny me, then what am I losing by simply stating that I DID know him beforehand? If they catch me, then I get denied (same as if I'm truthful). Is there any further consequence? I'm starting out with nothing anyways.

Also as a particular addition to my case, he's housed in Allenwood, PA in a special SMU unit (special management) where he spends 23 hours a day in a cell, for 2 years.

Do they thoroughly check EVERYONE for EVERYTHING for something that may be difficult to disprove (due to vagueness), or is getting caught just a fluke? And is it easy to just pass by? I want to think carefully before I turn it in. Getting blocked out over and over from the truth may make me regret I didn't just try to slide by on the easy route.

Your thoughts...
If you write that you've known him, you have to tell them in which circumstances...(when, where, so it's not that vague!) .and then it all depends on your inmate former life because if he got locked up at a young age...well...what are going to say? That you went to school with him? That you met somewhere on holidays? It has to be a plausible meeting if you see what I mean...

Personally, I didn't want to lie about this because I wouldn't have been able to prove it. And once again....they READ your letters...and they probably read the first one, introducing yourself as a stranger would do...and if you didn't mention a first meeting in the first letter, they obviously know you're a stranger in the first place...

Some have said they didn't know to inmate and yet got approved...so you can try....

If you lie and they find out, you won't be able to appeal nor ask for another visit (and maybe get banned from other facilities too?), and your inmate could get in troubles aswell....

So...yeah you have my thought and my advice here
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Velvet_ For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (06-14-2016), Lovebirds (03-02-2017)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-2016, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Alright I want to open ideas about not going the long route and to simply say that you knew them beforehand. I'm not suggesting anyone encourage people to stretch the truth, but couldn't this make it easier for all parties?

I just got a visitation form from a federal prison. My inmate friend says “I have heard that it's mandatory to have known the person before coming to the SMU. How are they going to know or prove that?”, essentially insinuating to go ahead and say I knew him beforehand. But apparently it doesn't sound like he has a lot of experience in this process hehe.

SO, I have been on visiting lists before (for state prisons). I've always been truthful and had no doubt I would get on. Obviously this is different standards now. I have no criminal record. However I was going to mark “no” that I didn't know him prior and list other people I write. But once it's done, it's done and I can't take it back, so I want to be sure I know it's the right thing to do.

After reading this thread, it seems to me if they will deny me, then what am I losing by simply stating that I DID know him beforehand? If they catch me, then I get denied (same as if I'm truthful). Is there any further consequence? I'm starting out with nothing anyways.

Also as a particular addition to my case, he's housed in Allenwood, PA in a special SMU unit (special management) where he spends 23 hours a day in a cell, for 2 years.

Do they thoroughly check EVERYONE for EVERYTHING for something that may be difficult to disprove (due to vagueness), or is getting caught just a fluke? And is it easy to just pass by? I want to think carefully before I turn it in. Getting blocked out over and over from the truth may make me regret I didn't just try to slide by on the easy route.

Your thoughts...

Honestly, I would ask myself how bad do you want to see him. Is this JUST friendship or would you be willing to give it a shot on the outside? For me..he's my heart. So I wanted to see him. I can't survive off phone calls and letters. I wanted to see him face to face. So, I made the decisions. Granted, we had other means of communicating so our letters weren't much of anything. Based on our first letters you would already assume we knew each other. We had already discussed what to write ( and had our OWN way of communicating so it was strictly between us ) on the form so we were on the same page.

I kept it pretty vague. He hasn't been inside long and we're close in age. I didn't put too much into it. Just known him x amount of year. Granted lying is bad but you're not trying to introduce anything into the prison. It's just a visit. People have probably been honest and gotten on but I don't have any experience with that. My record is clean so I knew I was most likely going to be added to his list. And our first visit was recently and it was GREAT! Worth it to see him face to face.
Old 06-14-2016, 03:21 PM
Lil British Site Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 6,540 Times in 2,974 Posts

Exactly how bad do you want to see him? , enough to lie on a federal document? Enough to committ a criminal offense for which the penalty could be a fine of up to $250,000 or imprisonment of up to 5 years.
There are always repercussions for lying and those are pretty big repercussions.
It may not be fair and it may be a long process to get approved by being honest but I would rather be honest.

Who cares what they say about us? Because when I am with you I am standing with an army
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to maytayah For This Useful Post:
communicator (10-24-2017), Lovebirds (03-02-2017)
Old 06-14-2016, 04:17 PM

Or you could just get denied lol.
Old 06-14-2016, 04:56 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 8,361 Times in 4,630 Posts

It is a Bureau of Prisons policy that one must know the inmate prior to the incarceration. The only way around this is to get a special exception by the Warden. You have tried this - twice. You need to accept the decision.

In addition, they have information that the inmate encouraged you to lie on your application form. Not only will that influence their decision, you need to realize that he put you in jeopardy by suggesting this. On the form, you sign that the information you provided was truthful "under penalty of perjury." In the U.S., perjury is a crime.

So no one should be suggesting that you lie on the application form for visiting in a United States federal prison. And you were right NOT to lie.

I could probably outline the reasons the BOP has this rule even though I might not agree with it, just knowing how they view things. But, bottom line, is that you are not being granted the exception. With the record in your file, I think it's doubtful a new warden at the facility would decide any other way. Possibly, if the inmate were transferred to a different facility, you could apply and try again.

You also didn't say what level of security the prison in Colorado is. The higher the security, the more rigid and the more scrutiny is given. Be content with correspondence. A visit from France would be super expensive and take a lot of planning; take come comfort in not having to do all that.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Zelda50 For This Useful Post:
communicator (10-24-2017), Lovebirds (03-02-2017), maytayah (06-14-2016), Velvet_ (06-14-2016)
Old 06-19-2016, 07:51 PM

I unfortunately agree about the France woman's denial needing personal acceptance, as heartbreaking as I'm sure it is. ESPECIALLY because it appeared you had good intentions and tried to do it the right way.

Thank you everyone for the input about my query to lie on my own visitor application and say I knew him beforehand. After much deliberation I decided to tell him "let's not talk about this anymore for now" to stop discussion in the letters that are being read.

My decision is NOT to request visitation at this time. I feel I will VERY likely get denied and I won't be able to take it back. There will then be a file about that denial with my name on it.

He's in a very high security program and they house the worst of the worst there. He's in a cell 23 hours a day. I'm under the sneaky suspicion that they are monitoring all communications very carefully there. Our letter exchange is about 2 1/2 -3 weeks with immediate writing return. So they may be pouring over them carefully, copying them, or at the very least taking notes as to who's who and why. I don't really know. But if they're paying attention in any manner I will definitely get denied. And what's the point of that?

Do I care that much? Answer: YES, enough to conveniently get a visit. But NO, not enough to jump through a bunch of hoops and keep trying through appeals and tears (friend, not MWI).

So I'm considering it a no-go, and saving my time for the future if I want to visit. When he gets into a normal compound next year, perhaps they will not be keeping track of me or have word where I come from. Then I will lie and say I knew him beforehand (our letters will look very familiar with one another since we're far past introductions). Hopefully they'll say yes, stamp a happy face on the app, and I'll be on my way.

I'm honestly not *too* concerned about the "penalty under perjury" and fine stuff for my casual disregard - as I believe a lot of that is reserved for the range of terrible abuse and further disruption, etc. But then I'm just a garden variety dimwit blonde

*Note: If an advocate comes back here and reports I've gotten busted and am serving time, you may feel free to croon "I TOLD YOU SO!" Thanks and wish me future luck!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TawnyStar For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (06-20-2016), Lovebirds (03-02-2017), Velvet_ (06-20-2016)
Old 06-19-2016, 08:56 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Thanked 14,191 Times in 5,436 Posts

Quote:
*Note: If an advocate comes back here and reports I've gotten busted and am serving time, you may feel free to croon "I TOLD YOU SO!" Thanks and wish me future luck!
I certainly hope that isn't the news we get, but now might a good time to remind everyone that everything on this site is considered public record. Facility staff are well aware of PTO and are free to monitor it at will and trust me (no really, trust me) they do.

What appears anonymous is usually much less so than we think.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
communicator (10-24-2017), lilliana92 (08-17-2016), Lovebirds (03-02-2017), Minor activist (03-03-2017), TawnyStar (06-20-2016)
Old 06-19-2016, 09:17 PM

Good point! And a good reminder to everyone. While I remain honest for the purpose of exchanging real thoughts and information - I'm closed to reveal too many personal or locating details, including my identity. They'd be hard pressed to do much in this situation next year, not knowing where he will be, nor who I am/where I'll be, nor when or if I choose to do it. I'm not really sold on it and will probably reassess. IF I do, I'll keep y'all posted and update!
Old 06-19-2016, 11:40 PM

Well good luck either way! I'm with you with the perjury thing lol like it's not that serious. As far the letters I would definitely keep things relaxed and if he moves or what not THEN discuss it again. If it's meant to be it shall be!
The Following User Says Thank You to HisForever0607 For This Useful Post:
TawnyStar (06-20-2016)
Old 06-20-2016, 08:59 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 17,310 Times in 10,447 Posts

For some inmates (who knows if he is one of them or not) all correspondence is photocopied, and kept. All phone calls are recorded, retained, and can always be accessed by CIS or the regular COs too.

Don't ignore the "penalties of perjury" and/or "unsworn falsification" wording because the prosecutors regularly charge those crimes.
Old 06-24-2016, 07:29 PM

I agree the do record. I can tell you that. And the moniter no matter what prison your at. What they are really looking for is if it going to effect the security in general.
Old 09-11-2016, 10:53 AM

Default I'm in Europe, pen pal in Federal prison. Can I be approved to visit?

I have a question about getting approved for visiting. I am in Europe and my pen pal is in federal prison. I am going to America on holiday next year and I would like to visit him as he hasn't had a visit in the 8 years he has been in prison so far. I didn't know him before he went to prison and I am not going to lie on the visiting form, being from Europe I think they would suspect me if I answered yes to that question and I don't want to break the rules anyway. Does anyone know if I have any chance of getting approved? I don't want to send back the visiting form and get his hopes up only for them to be dashed as I worry how it would affect him. It was my idea and I hadn't done my research before I wrote to him and said hey I'm going to America next year, why don't I visit you. Its only now when I got the visitation forms and I saw that question that I realised this might not actually work out.
Old 09-15-2016, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytayah View Post
Hi there, we had the same problem and I was denied visiting as I did not know my MWI prior to incarceration. We appealed to the warden and eventually we were granted a special visit and I was put on his list. They do make exceptions for those who dont get visits so it may be that his counsellor will approve you but its not hopeless if he doesnt . Be patient and keep trying,
Hi, can you give me advise or pointers on how to appeal. I wrote a letter for the warden but really don't know if I'm saying the right things he had only 1 visit in 6 yrs. thanks
Old 09-21-2016, 06:09 AM

Default Visitation approval? If denied, what steps did you take to get approved?

Just a quick question.. If someone here has been approved for visits, can you let me know how you went about it? Like, if you were knocked back what steps did you take to get approved? I have a feeling I will be knocked back so I just want to know what my options are.. Planning to get there for his bday next may so I want to be prepared
Old 09-21-2016, 06:34 AM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

File an appeal with the warden. If he doesn't receive other visitors, point that out and request a "special visit". Special visits can evolve into visiting list approvals, but it may take awhile. Keep trying.
Old 09-21-2016, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilliana92 View Post
Just a quick question.. If someone here has been approved for visits, can you let me know how you went about it? Like, if you were knocked back what steps did you take to get approved? I have a feeling I will be knocked back so I just want to know what my options are.. Planning to get there for his bday next may so I want to be prepared
Based on your previous posts, your LO is a federal inmate and you are MWI. Sorry, but you aren't going to get approved unless you are planning to lie on the application form. I wouldn't recommend that since it is against US law. Steer clear of that.

I would say go ahead and fill out the form, get denied, and then write a letter to the Warden requesting a special visit. It is a one-time visit (if approved) that could possibly lead to approval for regular visits down the road. If he doesn't get regular visits, that could actually work in your favor. If he doesn't, make sure to point that out in your letter to the Warden plus any positive influences you've had on him, etc.

Last edited by pretzellogic79; 09-21-2016 at 06:58 AM..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pretzellogic79 For This Useful Post:
Lovebirds (03-02-2017), maytayah (09-21-2016), miamac (09-21-2016)
Old 09-21-2016, 06:55 AM
Lil British Site Moderator

Thanked 6,540 Times in 2,974 Posts

Can you tell us where he is located ? Then there may be some advice from others who have been approved at that location. Every state and federal are all different.

Who cares what they say about us? Because when I am with you I am standing with an army
The Following User Says Thank You to maytayah For This Useful Post:
miamac (09-21-2016)
Old 09-21-2016, 05:40 PM

Thanks for the advice yeah I originally posted this in MWI and it was moved to here.. he is in USP Hazelton
Old 09-21-2016, 06:29 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Thanked 14,191 Times in 5,436 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilliana92 View Post
Thanks for the advice yeah I originally posted this in MWI and it was moved to here.. he is in USP Hazelton
And I've moved ya again.

This thread is specific to your situation and many others have gone or are going through it. Hopefully you'll find some advice here!
Old 09-21-2016, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamac View Post
And I've moved ya again.

This thread is specific to your situation and many others have gone or are going through it. Hopefully you'll find some advice here!
Haha all good thank you mia I'm still trying to find all the functions of this site
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lilliana92 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (09-22-2016), miamac (09-21-2016)
Old 12-21-2016, 11:18 AM
PRAY HARD

Default Denied Visitation because I didn't know her prior to her incarceration

I got an email from my girlfriend yesterday saying her councilor finally received and reviewed my visitation request, and that my visitation request has been denied. It was like in one moment, my whole world just came crashing down. I was so upset by it, I actually vomited. I suddenly realized that I would have to wait 17 years to kiss her lips, or even hold her hand. We came to find out the reason I was denied is simply because I didn't know her prior to her incarceration. We have already begun the process of fighting this decision.
The federal prison she is in allows volunteers to come visit random inmates they have never even spoken to, if that inmate never receives any other visitors. I have known my girl since 2011, and all she gets is one visit a year from her parents. How is me visiting her any different? The answer was that THE PRISON knows those people pose no threat to the institution.
Some background on me: I have never committed a crime in my life. I am one of only a handful of people in my state ever to be granted license to raise 3 foster children (plus my own son) as a single father. I volunteer teaching children Aikido regularly. I also volunteer at hospitals, and nursing homes giving ReiKi healing to those who want it. I haven't even been pulled over in my car in over 11 years. All of these things are on record, and can be easily proven to the prison, so I don't see how I'm not qualified to come play Scrabble with her once a week!
We've decided that I will put together some character references to start. I think that will help, because they will come from a man who is a renowned martial arts instructor, inventor, entrepreneur, and published author; a man who is a firefighter, police officer, and S.W.A.T. team member; a retired commercial airline pilot with 10's of thousands of hours of flight experience; several engineers; as well as the former MN state prosecutor! I don't see how those kind of character references could be overlooked, especially the one from the former state prosecutor!
We will fight this, and we will prevail. Love conquers all, and this only ends one way: with her hand in mine.
I know many of you here have never known your SO before their incarceration, and are allowed visitation without hesitation. Has anybody ever run into this particular situation? I am BEGGING you all for any advice you have to offer!
Old 12-21-2016, 12:18 PM

BREATH!
I never ran into this even though I didn't know my LO prior to his incarceration either, however he's in state, not federal. From the looks of it, you are doing the right thing by appealing. Unfortunately, everything takes time to work itself through the system. Don't give up! Keep doing what you're doing and don't let them get to you because you still have to be able to support her.
Good luck to you and keep us updated! I'm keeping my fingers and eyes crossed, hoping you get approved soon!
Old 12-21-2016, 12:35 PM
PRAY HARD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugbymom View Post
BREATH!
I never ran into this even though I didn't know my LO prior to his incarceration either, however he's in state, not federal. From the looks of it, you are doing the right thing by appealing. Unfortunately, everything takes time to work itself through the system. Don't give up! Keep doing what you're doing and don't let them get to you because you still have to be able to support her.
Good luck to you and keep us updated! I'm keeping my fingers and eyes crossed, hoping you get approved soon!
Hey, thank you so much for the support! It was quite the blow, but we are both extremely optimistic, and keeping our heads up.
Old 12-21-2016, 04:25 PM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

Some PTO members have written that they were eventually approved to visit, but it didn't happen quickly. Some wardens are willing to approve a "special visit" first, instead of an immediate jump to the approved visitors list. If your appeal is initially denied, be persistent and file another one in a few months. Wardens do change too, so don't give up trying.
Old 12-23-2016, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBT View Post
I got an email from my girlfriend yesterday saying her councilor finally received and reviewed my visitation request, and that my visitation request has been denied. It was like in one moment, my whole world just came crashing down. I was so upset by it, I actually vomited. I suddenly realized that I would have to wait 17 years to kiss her lips, or even hold her hand. We came to find out the reason I was denied is simply because I didn't know her prior to her incarceration. We have already begun the process of fighting this decision.
I'm not an expert on federal prison politics or policies but I'm going to take a guess about the reason they disapproved your visitation. The powers that be fear you're a social activist, a reasonable assumption based on your curriculum vitae. They don't want to have to fend off endless motions of all sorts designed to give your lady a bit of happiness or even marginally decrease her sense of oppression.