Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Prison Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal Prison Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Use this forum to discuss Federal prison Visitation info & issues, Phones, Packages & Mail issues & topics.

Old 04-06-2010, 12:09 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 8,361 Times in 4,630 Posts
Default Ion Spectrometry scanner - FedCURE Notice

FedCURE Notice. Ion Spectrometry Device Program ~ Federal Bureau of Prisons: COMPLAINTS | PROCEDURES.

Thank those of you for sending in your complaints about the use of ion spectrometry technology on BOP visitors to FedCURE. We urge all who test false positive to do so. The use of this, yet proven 100% reliable, technology has been an ongoing issue for quite some time. FedCURE is collecting the complaints and will be having discussions with the BOP Central Office about the return of the technology. The Ion Spectrometry Devices were taken out of use after BOP Central Office began getting more and more complaints about false positives and were getting pressure from Congressional representatives. FedCURE had submitted a Freedom of Information Act request and finally received those records after the Ion Spectrometry Devices were discontinued. The BOP is claiming that the manufacturer "fixed" the software problem with the technology; however, they have not yet provided FedCURE with documentation of that and it was been requested under FOIA again. See Federal Cure (FedCURE) v. Lappin: http://www.fedcure.org/information/FedCURENews.shtml.

Know BOP procedures and your rights. See:
Federal Bureau of Prisons:

Ion Spectrometry Device Program: http://www.bop.gov/policy/progstat/5522_001.pdf
Administrative Remedy Program: http://www.bop.gov/policy/progstat/1330_016.pdf.

Follow these Visitor Tips:

1) Be sure not to use any lotions or perfumes. Do not wear freshly dry-cleaned clothes, as dry cleaning chemicals can cause false positives. If you are staying in a motel, be careful of where you put your clothing - keep it packed or hang the clothing up, so as not to pick up any substance particles.

2) Always ask for a 2nd confirmatory test - and make sure the C.O. changes to fresh gloves before conducting the 2nd test.

3) Review the attached suggested questions prior to your visit and, if you receive a false positive, ask as many of these questions as you are comfortable asking and record the answers either at the site or right after leaving the facility. (Share those responses with FedCURE).

4) If you get a false positive and take prescribed medications, send a polite letter to the warden and enclose a list of your medications. While this will not get the lost visit back, you may be able to get the "first strike" off your record, as subsequent (false) positive readings will result in a longer time of suspended visits.

5) Send a copy of your complaint letter to your U.S. Congressional Representative and ask for their assistance.
(Be sure to ask your inmate first for permission to do this, as they may contact the facility for more information.)

6) If you write the warden, send a copy of your letter to: Harley Lappin, Director, Bureau of Prisons,
and send a copy to FedCURE. Copy and paste your letter on their contact website at:
http://www.fedcure.org/contact.shtml

7) Review the questions (below) you might ask if you receive a false positive - print a copy to have in your car.
Information/Questions for Visitors Testing Positive on the Ionscan

1. Ask for a 2nd confirmatory test. Ask the C.O. to change gloves before administering the 2nd test. Also observe and make sure the C.O. changes the filter for the 2nd test.

2. If you still test positive and believe it is a false positive, ask the following questions (and see if they will provide you with paper and pen to write down the responses.)

A. Name of the C.O.

B. Can I talk with the Shift Supervisor? (Get that person's name also)

C. What type of ionscan machine is this (Manufacturer and Series name)?

D. When was this machine last calibrated?

E. When was maintenance last done on this machine?

F. Do the staff keep a log of the maintenance and calibration dates and times?

G. (Refer to the BOP Memorandum dated 4/10/08 - you might want to keep a copy in your car. http://www.fedcure.org/documents/BOP...408fedcure.pdf) Has there been a directive from the Central Office of the BOP since April 10, 2008, which overrides the directive to halt use of the ionscan?

Can I have a copy? Do you a copy of a confirmation by the Office of Security Technology that this machine operates accurately? Can I have a copy?

H. Can I submit a list of medications prescribed to me?

I. What substances did I test positive for?

J. Can I request a search of my person to show that I am not bringing contraband into the facility?

K. If I go immediately and have a urinalysis test done for controlled substances and it shows I am drug-free, will the positive ionscan test be removed from my record?

L. Are the staff tested by the ionscan?

M. Would you be willing to be tested right now to show the ionscan is accurate?

N. Where can I submit a request to have this decision reviewed? (Get name and address.)

O. Will I receive a written response? How soon after after sending in my written response can I expect a decision?

----------------------------------------------------------

We hope you find this information helpful. FedCURE will keep working on this issue for all BOP visitors!

FedCURE
P. O. Box 15667
Plantation, Florida 33318-5667
E-mail: FedCURE@FedCURE.org
TRULINCS: TRULINCS@FedCURE.org
e-Fax: 801.672.7777
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Zelda50 For This Useful Post:
amazggrace (07-20-2012), David (03-15-2017), FrustratedGirl (09-05-2010), jbjb (09-10-2011), Maushel (05-28-2013), mbh-fiancee (01-06-2011), missingson (04-12-2010), SusanWayward (05-30-2012), wildrose712 (04-08-2010), winyan47 (01-22-2013)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-2010, 03:26 PM
Liberty Tree

Ok everyone, I am by no means wanting to, nor attempting to, be contrary here. Since I've worked on the 'other side' (sometimes knows as the evil or dark side), I just want to add a few comments here. So please feel free to contradict me, chastize me, etc... I can take it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelda50 View Post
FedCURE Notice. Ion Spectrometry Device Program ~ Federal Bureau of Prisons: COMPLAINTS | PROCEDURES.

Thank those of you for sending in your complaints about the use of ion spectrometry technology on BOP visitors to FedCURE. We urge all who test false positive to do so. The use of this, yet proven 100% reliable, technology has been an ongoing issue for quite some time. FedCURE is collecting the complaints and will be having discussions with the BOP Central Office about the return of the technology. The Ion Spectrometry Devices were taken out of use after BOP Central Office began getting more and more complaints about false positives and were getting pressure from Congressional representatives. FedCURE had submitted a Freedom of Information Act request and finally received those records after the Ion Spectrometry Devices were discontinued. The BOP is claiming that the manufacturer "fixed" the software problem with the technology; however, they have not yet provided FedCURE with documentation of that and it was been requested under FOIA again. See Federal Cure (FedCURE) v. Lappin: http://www.fedcure.org/information/FedCURENews.shtml.

>> In actuality, it is my understanding that it is not so much that the manufacture has 'fixed' the problem (with the GE machines being the ones that were singled out with the 'false' positives) but it is where the BOP has discontiued using the GE machines and now are exclusively using the machines manfactured by SMITH's Ion Spectometry. That is my understanding. All institutions were to be supplied/purchase the Smiths machine and discontinue using the GE.

Know BOP procedures and your rights. (I agree 100% with this - Knowledge is power - learn the policy/procedures and use them to your benefit, however also use them to know that 'sometimes' the BOP might be right - on occasion )

See: Federal Bureau of Prisons:

Ion Spectrometry Device Program: http://www.bop.gov/policy/progstat/5522_001.pdf
Administrative Remedy Program: http://www.bop.gov/policy/progstat/1330_016.pdf.

Follow these Visitor Tips:

1) Be sure not to use any lotions or perfumes. Do not wear freshly dry-cleaned clothes, as dry cleaning chemicals can cause false positives. If you are staying in a motel, be careful of where you put your clothing - keep it packed or hang the clothing up, so as not to pick up any substance particles.

(the same goes for car rentals)

2) Always ask for a 2nd confirmatory test - and make sure the C.O. changes to fresh gloves before conducting the 2nd test.

(The second confirmatory test is policy. If a postive hit is recorded on the first test, then a second test must be performed. The second test should be under the supervision of the shift lieutenant.)

(While in most facilities, it is still standard policy/procedure to use gloves when administering the test, according to Smith's detection, the gloves are not required and will not affect the testing in anyway. With that stated, it is my understanding that almost all, if not all BOP facilities still use gloves of some sort. They do not have to be cotton gloves, they can be latex or vinyle)

3) Review the attached suggested questions prior to your visit and, if you receive a false positive, ask as many of these questions as you are comfortable asking and record the answers either at the site or right after leaving the facility. (Share those responses with FedCURE).

4) If you get a false positive and take prescribed medications, send a polite letter to the warden and enclose a list of your medications. While this will not get the lost visit back, you may be able to get the "first strike" off your record, as subsequent (false) positive readings will result in a longer time of suspended visits.

(This is true, it does happen that you may get the so called 1st strike removed, but I would not expect it to happen. It just depends on the warden)

5) Send a copy of your complaint letter to your U.S. Congressional Representative and ask for their assistance.
(Be sure to ask your inmate first for permission to do this, as they may contact the facility for more information.)

6) If you write the warden, send a copy of your letter to: Harley Lappin, Director, Bureau of Prisons,
and send a copy to FedCURE. Copy and paste your letter on their contact website at:
http://www.fedcure.org/contact.shtml

7) Review the questions (below) you might ask if you receive a false positive - print a copy to have in your car.
Information/Questions for Visitors Testing Positive on the Ionscan

1. Ask for a 2nd confirmatory test. Ask the C.O. to change gloves before administering the 2nd test. Also observe and make sure the C.O. changes the filter for the 2nd test.

(As stated earlier, the 2nd test is mandatory. If they fail to administer it and then deny you the visit, you should have no problem beating the visitation suspension. Also as stated the 2nd test should be administerd in the presence of the shift Lieutenant. As for the gloves, it just depends on the institutions policy since Smiths detection does not require the use of gloves. However, I always instructed the CO's to change gloves to help show that they were doing their best to remain impartial and administer the test properly. As for filters, the Smith's machine does not use filters like the GE machines did. With the GE you had to change filters. Personally, I never-ever liked the GE machines. Now what the CO should do, is the wand that they use to 'rub' has a cloth patch on it, this SHOULD be changed when they administer the second test. If they don't do it SPEAK up.)

2. If you still test positive and believe it is a false positive, ask the following questions (and see if they will provide you with paper and pen to write down the responses.)

(It doesn't hurt to ask, but I would not expect for them to do it. From my perspective, I would not have provided it. I would have answered any questions that you had, but I wouldn't have provided pen and paper. Not to be an #$%@ or a pain, but running the front desk and visitation is a busy enough job as it is. So in short, I wouldn't want to be rude, and I would therefore try to answer every honest question you had - as long as they questioning was done in a non challenging/heated manner - but I would not provide pen and paper)

A. Name of the C.O.

(The name should be on their shirts, but there is nothing wrong with asking. I would also ask for the name of the shift lieutenant who supervised the 2nd test. But be prepared, the LT may not be as willing to hear you out as the CO might. Some LT's will some wont)

B. Can I talk with the Shift Supervisor? (Get that person's name also)

(same as stated above. He/she should be present during the administration of the second test. If not, the BOP violated their own policy.)

C. What type of ionscan machine is this (Manufacturer and Series name)?

(All of the prisons should be using the Smith's Detection machine - if they are still using the GE brand you should have a really good chance of getting the denial overturned)

D. When was this machine last calibrated?

(I would be shocked/amazed if they told you this. Not because it's top secret or anything, but they have limited time to spend with each visitor, and believe it or not their goal is to get everyone processed in and to the inmate as quickly as possible. But just for the recond - FYI - kind of thing, it is done daily for each day of visitation. The actual name for it is called 'Verification'. They run it at the start of each day of visitation and at the end of each day of visitation and then they keep in on file. If you want actual proof of this it would require and FOI request)

E. When was maintenance last done on this machine?

(This is done only is something is wrong with the machine. It is not something that is a daily, weekly, or monthly schedule. There are things done on a schedule - i.e., verification, something called a burnout, that I guess you call a maintenance plan, but not much beyond that. There are components that need replacing occasionally, but the verification, and burnout sessions let's them know when that is needed)

F. Do the staff keep a log of the maintenance and calibration dates and times?

(Yes, this is done on a daily basis or better stated on each day of visitation. Logs are kept of the pre-testing verification and the post-testing verification. As well as the test administered during the day and their results. Any positive test, are logged and maintained)

G. (Refer to the BOP Memorandum dated 4/10/08 - you might want to keep a copy in your car. http://www.fedcure.org/documents/BOP...408fedcure.pdf) Has there been a directive from the Central Office of the BOP since April 10, 2008, which overrides the directive to halt use of the ionscan?

Can I have a copy? Do you a copy of a confirmation by the Office of Security Technology that this machine operates accurately? Can I have a copy?

(FOI request will get you this, the institution will not provide it to you. And just for the sake of arguement, if the machine is running the Central Office has ok that institution to run it.)

H. Can I submit a list of medications prescribed to me?

(You would be wasting your time to provide this to the CO and/or shift Lt, cause it would make absolutely no difference whatsoever for that or any subsequent visitation request. You can certainly send it in to the Warden after the fact. But for the day of visitation it will not affect anything - based on my experience of course-. Just to add an additionally comment, according to SMITH's detection, the likelyhood of any prescribed medication causing the machine to read it as a positive for a 'prohibited substance' {when I last talked to Smith's} was like one in several several billioniths of a chance. They stated that they tested every prescribable medication out there and none of them resulted in a positive hit, additionally the machine was designed not to read a hit on these types of substances - their words - not mine)

I. What substances did I test positive for?

(According to policy they will not - or at least should not - tell you this information. If they do, then they have violated BOP policy. You may not agree with it, but it is policy with some sound reasoning behind it. All the policy allows them to say is that "you have tested positive for a prohibited substance".)

J. Can I request a search of my person to show that I am not bringing contraband into the facility?

(You can request it, and now there actually is a policy in place - I don't know if every institution is doing this yet or not - but just as the Ion machine testing is supposed to be random {unless you've previously tested positive, or the CO has a reasonable cause to test you, or through other means SIS has requested that you be tested} the institutions are supposed to be conducting random searches of visitors - to include a pat down search, a search of any belongings that you are bringing in, AND to include the search of your vehicle. With that stated, I would not expect them to search you or your property if you've tested positive with the Ion machine. So you can ask, but don't expect it to happen)

K. If I go immediately and have a urinalysis test done for controlled substances and it shows I am drug-free, will the positive ionscan test be removed from my record?

(In short - no. Any testing you do on your own - regardless of how done will have no effect on the previous positive test. You can do it, but don't expect the BOP to do anything with it.)

L. Are the staff tested by the ionscan?

(No, the Union has successfully fought against it. Personally, I have (had) no problem with it. In fact, the SIS staff would routinely test the machine and even try to get a false reading to test it out - but it was for their own purposes only and truth be told, when I was on that side of things no matter what we did, using lotions, rubbing money on our hands, amoung other things we never did get a false positive)

M. Would you be willing to be tested right now to show the ionscan is accurate?

(No, they will not do this. As policy, after they test you and get a 'postive' test, they are to run another test in between your second test to ensure that they get a non positive test and THEN they will administer the 2nd confirmation test on the visitor. But under no circumstances will they test themselves nor does policy allow for this. But you can always ask just expect a no for the answer.)

N. Where can I submit a request to have this decision reviewed? (Get name and address.)

(This will always be the same - the Warden of the institution. The inmate can go throught the Administrative Remedy process if they want to, but to request a review - it has to go through the Warden. Now this does not preclude you from writing the Regional Office, the Central Office, your elected officials, et. al., but guess where they forward your correspondece to?.... Yes, they send it to the Warden of the institution to respond to.)

O. Will I receive a written response? How soon after after sending in my written response can I expect a decision?

(You should receive a written response. While they try to be prompt in their response time - typically 2 weeks, but it could be longer and maybe even shorter)
----------------------------------------------------------

(One last thing, you can always refuse the first test, and if you don't refuse the first test and then test positive you can refuse the second test - just know that while they wont suspend your visitations, you will be tested everytime you come in for at least the next year.)

We hope you find this information helpful. FedCURE will keep working on this issue for all BOP visitors!

FedCURE
P. O. Box 15667
Plantation, Florida 33318-5667
E-mail: FedCURE@FedCURE.org
TRULINCS: TRULINCS@FedCURE.org
e-Fax: 801.672.7777
(So there it is, my perspective from someone once on the otherside of the fence. So, I'm ready let me have it.)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to greyghost For This Useful Post:
bayoumom (02-28-2012), FrustratedGirl (05-16-2010), Maushel (05-28-2013), yesndeede910 (08-10-2010)
Old 04-17-2010, 03:56 PM
Donation Award 

Your information is very helpful, Greyghost. i believe FedCURE is aware that the BOP will not respond positively to the questions and requests for information you have noted. Those questions are just to create a "record" for future grievances and/or lawsuits. If the visitor cannot write down the answers at the time, try to remember the information and write it down as soon as you leave the facility. Then send the information about your false positive and the responses to your questions, to FedCURE.
The Following User Says Thank You to Zelda50 For This Useful Post:
greyghost (04-17-2010)
Old 07-31-2010, 09:31 AM

I am confused by this test. What exactly are they looking for? I take prescriptions. Should I avoid taking them prior to my visit?
Old 07-31-2010, 01:35 PM
Donation Award 

It tests for drug residue on the skin and clothing. No one really knows what prescription meds might cause a positive reading. So you can either avoid taking them just prior to the visit - and that might be advised if you take meds which are opiates or benzo's, or meds in the same family as some illicit drugs. Or you can take your meds and go visit and, if you test positive you'll be turned away and can then send a letter from your doctor to the institution with your meds listed and they'll check it against whatever your test results were. If it's a match, they'll take the visit denial off your record. It's a ridiculous system.
Old 08-07-2010, 11:41 AM

Quote:
It tests for drug residue on the skin and clothing. No one really knows what prescription meds might cause a positive reading. So you can either avoid taking them just prior to the visit - and that might be advised if you take meds which are opiates or benzo's, or meds in the same family as some illicit drugs. Or you can take your meds and go visit and, if you test positive you'll be turned away and can then send a letter from your doctor to the institution with your meds listed and they'll check it against whatever your test results were. If it's a match, they'll take the visit denial off your record. It's a ridiculous system.
Are the scanners currently being used again?I know they had taken them away for awhile.I would like to know due to I am planning on visiting soon.
Old 08-07-2010, 12:59 PM
Donation Award 

It depends on the institution but yes, some places have started using them again - supposedly the machines were "fixed" but no one's ever produced the BOP memoranda which authorizes their use again. They're not used at the camps.
Old 08-08-2010, 08:12 AM

Quote:
It depends on the institution but yes, some places have started using them again - supposedly the machines were "fixed" but no one's ever produced the BOP memoranda which authorizes their use again. They're not used at the camps.

Does anyone know if they are being used at the FCI in Terre Haute?
Old 08-10-2010, 01:22 AM

I know they use to use it at FCI Bennettsville SC, but they stopped in Oct of 08, and we are at BUTNER LOW now and they have not been using it. However, they do have a machine they can just point at you and it can tel if u have been drinking or have any drugs in your possession.
Old 08-13-2010, 02:48 AM
Donation Award 

What? I don't think there's a machine that they can just point at people - unless you're talking about the Nastagmus test (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physiologic_nystagmus) - where they point it up close at your eyes to see if you're intoxicated. I've never heard of that being used in a federal prison on visitors and there is no administrative rule allowing them to turn a visitor away based upon it.

Is that what they're using??
Old 12-29-2010, 09:48 AM

Am planning a first visit to FCI Edgefield this weekend. Just a quick question....Why can't you wear lotions or perfume to visit. How would this show up on the ion scan as a negative? New to this. Thanks for any info!
Old 12-30-2010, 03:24 AM
Donation Award 

Some lotions and perfumes result in false positives on the ionscan, so best to avoid using them.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:44 AM

Do they place this scanner on your hand, forearm or what? If I sprayed perfume behind my ears and neck...I am freaked out about this machine...I have nothing to worry about in the way of drugs but, I do like my lotions, bath oils, perfume, etc. I am visiting FCI El Reno on Friday...............Any information would be greatly appreciated!!!
Old 04-19-2011, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shae61 View Post
Do they place this scanner on your hand, forearm or what? If I sprayed perfume behind my ears and neck...I am freaked out about this machine...I have nothing to worry about in the way of drugs but, I do like my lotions, bath oils, perfume, etc. I am visiting FCI El Reno on Friday...............Any information would be greatly appreciated!!!
FCI williamsburg is using it i have been tested and had no problem they test around the pants pocket not on your skin i have never seen anyone fail but i can only visit every couple of months
Old 04-19-2011, 07:11 PM

do anyone knows if they use them at pollock med.? im new to this since they didnt use it at beaumont. my fiancee is going there soon.

Old 09-10-2011, 07:04 AM

Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 5,200 Times in 2,543 Posts

They are used at FCI Oakdale and not on everyone. They picked someone at random during a recent visit. That person got in OK.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:20 AM

I was at the Edgefield facility yesterday and they said i tested positive for Herion!! I went straight to the ER and had them do a drug panal on me and went back to the prison with the negative results and they still suspended my visits for 48 hours! Which sucks because this was a long weekend so i lost sunday and monday! But what is the worst is that they told me very loudly in front of all the other visitors the results to their test! And that now i will be screened for the next year and if i am positive again they will suspend my visits for 30 days and so forth!!! I have NEVER used drugs nor am i around people who do!! They said that i had to have come in contact with them! Yeah in their nasty lobby maybe where their own employees brought them in!!! Everything i have read says the machine should be set to not pick up things that could be from casual contact! So how the heck do i test positive!! I am appealing the warden to get this off my record and i have written to fedcure also. It is complete bull crap!
Old 10-10-2011, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyghost View Post
Ok everyone, I am by no means wanting to, nor attempting to, be contrary here. Since I've worked on the 'other side' (sometimes knows as the evil or dark side), I just want to add a few comments here. So please feel free to contradict me, chastize me, etc... I can take it.

(So there it is, my perspective from someone once on the otherside of the fence. So, I'm ready let me have it.)
Awesome. Thanks!
Old 10-13-2011, 11:27 AM
Liberty Tree

My response follows:

>> I was at the Edgefield facility yesterday and they said i tested positive for Herion!!

They were not supposed to tell you what you tested positive for (not that it really matters); but according to policy all they are supposed to do is tell you that you tested positive for 'a prohibited substance'. Additionally, after the first test, they should have 'requested' that you stay were you are so they can conduct a follow-up test. At this time they should have contacted the Operations Lieutenant so that he/she would be present for the second follow-up/confirmation test. They should then conduct a 'test' that shows that verifies that the machine is functioning properly and that that 'verification' test should not test positive for any substance. They will not (or aren't supposed) to tell you anything about that verification test. Then once the Ops Lieutenant arrives they should conduct the follow-up/confirmation test. The follow-up test will either 'confirm' that you tested positive or that it comes up negative. If negative then everything is fine. If positive, then you will be denied visitation.

>>I went straight to the ER and had them do a drug panal on me and went back to the prison with the negative results and they still suspended my visits for 48 hours!

I know that it stinks, but you could have God show up on your behalf (stating with Thunder and Lightening in the background) that you have never ever used or been around any illegal substance. It would not matter.

>>Which sucks because this was a long weekend so i lost sunday and monday! But what is the worst is that they told me very loudly in front of all the other visitors the results to their test!

I apologize for this but they should have been more discreet. It doesn't mean that others wont overhear or see what is going on, but they should do everything that they can to protect your privacy as much as practical.

>>And that now i will be screened for the next year

Correct, you are now placed on a list that requires you to be tested everytime that you visit during the next year. Also bare in mind that if anyone visits with you don't be surprised if they aren't tested as well.

>>and if i am positive again they will suspend my visits for 30 days and so forth!!! I have NEVER used drugs nor am i around people who do!! They said that i had to have come in contact with them! Yeah in their nasty lobby maybe where their own employees brought them in!!! Everything i have read says the machine should be set to not pick up things that could be from casual contact! So how the heck do i test positive!!

I don't know where you heard that they are set to not pick up anything from 'casual' contact, but these machines are extremely sensitive and designed to pick up on even the smallest of 'drug' particles. What they are designed to do is NOT pick up on prescribed medications (although I know that many will beg to differ with this).

>>I am appealing the warden to get this off my record and i have written to fedcure also. It is complete bull crap!

I wish you the best of luck, but do not be surprised if nothing comes of this. Almost everyone who tests positive on these machines write (appeal) to the warden. And 99.9999999999999999999999999999999999999999% of the requests to have the positive hit done away with doesn't happen. Sorry. I wish you the best, but prepare yourself to be tested everytime that you visit and do everything within your power to keep from being contaminated (I know easier said than done).

Lastly, let me throw this out there (and I am not accusing or alledging anything - I just know that from experience this has happened). Is there anyone that you socialize with, work with, visit, etc... that 'may' use anything illegal? The reason that I ask is that I know of several cases where someone was denied visitation and they themselves did not use anything and at first where not aware that they had been exposed to anything illegal. Then after being denied a second time and then talking about it with friends/family they learned that a close friend (unkown to them) was a user of drugs and they saw this person fairly frequently. Once they found out and no longer socialized with this person they no longer had any problems. So I'm not saying anything, just try to think of all possibilities.

I wish you the best and good luck
GG
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to greyghost For This Useful Post:
friend4ever2him (10-17-2011), huneyluv3 (10-16-2011)
Old 10-15-2011, 02:59 AM
Donation Award 

The main thing here is whether they did a second, confirmatory test. If not, you might be able to use that as the main basis for your appeal to the warden. And send a copy of your letter to the Central Office and FedCURE.

Greyghost is correct - they are not testing to see if you've ingested any drugs - they are testing to find out if you've come in contact.

These machines are awful and they can register false positives. For instance, dry cleaning chemicals have been known to cause false positive results. Another issue is whether the C.O. doing to the testing changed gloves after a previous positive test. If not, the residue can transfer to the next test.

Sorry you're having to deal with this.

Last edited by Zelda50; 10-15-2011 at 03:06 AM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zelda50 For This Useful Post:
friend4ever2him (10-17-2011), huneyluv3 (10-16-2011)
Old 07-18-2012, 03:38 AM
Unrepentant Mule-Wearer
Donation Award 

Greyghost's replies were helpful and informative but I do have to elaborate on and disagree with this little snippet right here:

Quote:
My response follows:
>>>>>> Everything i have read says the machine should be set to not pick up things that could be from casual contact! So how the heck do i test positive!!

I don't know where you heard that they are set to not pick up anything from 'casual' contact,

She probably read it in the BOP Program Statement P5522.01, page 5 - the link to which is posted in the original post on this thread. Click the link and go o to page 5, right at the top of the page.

Quote:

...but these machines are extremely sensitive and designed to pick up on even the smallest of 'drug' particles. What they are designed to do is NOT pick up on prescribed medications (although I know that many will beg to differ with this).

Yeah, I beg to differ. An opiate drug is an opiate drug.

If someone is on prescription painkillers that are opiate based and they take a urine drug test/hair test/saliva test, they will test positive for opiates. If the spectrometry used in urine testing can't differentiate between prescribed opiates and street heroin, I don't see how this machine could do so.

If you are on painkillers or your kid is on ritalin or adderall (amphetamines) and you handle those drugs, I think it is very possible that you'd test positive when your hands or clothing is swabbed.

And if this machine is also set to test for explosives like the ones used in airports - heart medication (nitroglycerine) could also cause a positive test.

So, no, they can't be designed NOT to "alarm" on prescription drugs that are chemically identical to "illicit" drugs.

The only thing that makes street heroin or street meth "illicit" is that it is manufactured and sold outside of "legal" channels. The basic chemical makeup of those drugs and their prescription counterparts, is the same.

Last edited by SusanWayward; 07-18-2012 at 03:40 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to SusanWayward For This Useful Post:
Zelda50 (07-19-2012)
Old 10-05-2012, 12:02 AM
Jabba's Wife

Default Help

So I need some help. I went to visit my husband a month ago and they did the ION SCAN on me and only me. I was tested twice my ID and my pant leg. I tested positive both times. I flipped out and was so upset and and demanded to speak to the warden or the LT. Well needless to say I got in . The LT said he was letting me in cause I drove from almost 500 miles away. I was so upset and my friend went and had no problems. She was in the visitning room and she over heard the CO in charge of the visiting room get a call saying my visit was denied. And the CO raised his hand and said yes. Smiling.
Well 30 min later I show up in the visiting room and he loooked like he saw a ghost and didnt know how I got in. I had told the LT I wanted a UA and I am on paper and this was so far off. Who ever he called and spoke to the LT said I dont care I am fine with it and the other person agreed as well. I dont know who he (LT) spoke to. After the visit I went to my car and they tore it apart. I told my husband I wanted to file a compalant and he said no it would cause problems. My husband has been in 6 years never a write up and in RDAP. Well I want to go next month and dont know what to expect. Should I file something?
Old 10-05-2012, 02:48 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 17,318 Times in 10,449 Posts

If your husband doesn't want you to file a complaint, my advice is don't. The chances of it doing you any good are miniscule anyway. Whenever you enter bop property, you, your car, your children and your dogs or cats are subject to being searched without a search warrant (unconstitutional ?, but then the courts would have to agree that it was, otherwise they can, and will do whatever they want to do). The only way to avoid giving them the opportunity to tear your car apart is to arrive in a cab or bus, or on foot.

You probably agreed to it in the fine print of whatever you had to sign in order to be allowed to visit anyway.
The Following User Says Thank You to fbopnomore For This Useful Post:
savvy11 (10-06-2012)
Old 10-05-2012, 05:22 PM
Jabba's Wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbopnomore View Post
If your husband doesn't want you to file a complaint, my advice is don't. The chances of it doing you any good are miniscule anyway. Whenever you enter bop property, you, your car, your children and your dogs or cats are subject to being searched without a search warrant (unconstitutional ?, but then the courts would have to agree that it was, otherwise they can, and will do whatever they want to do). The only way to avoid giving them the opportunity to tear your car apart is to arrive in a cab or bus, or on foot.

You probably agreed to it in the fine print of whatever you had to sign in order to be allowed to visit anyway.
You are right they do have the right to search my car . I am not worried about any of that . I am worried about how they are going to treat me next time . I'm not sure . I went and got a new license and am keeping it separate from money and in a envelope . I don't use any drugs or Prescription drugs so I am wondering what to expect when going back and I feel like it was a set up to harass me !
Old 10-05-2012, 06:07 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 17,318 Times in 10,449 Posts

Maybe there will be different people working the visiting room that day, or if it is the same ones, they are in a better mood. Even though they are permitted to search cars, I bet yours was singled out, so that is not something you want to have happen every time you visit. It sounds like you are doing everything you can do, so I hope your next visit goes well.
The Following User Says Thank You to fbopnomore For This Useful Post:
savvy11 (10-06-2012)