Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal System News, Events and Legal Issues
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal System News, Events and Legal Issues News & Events relating to the U.S. Federal Bureau of Prisons, U.S. Courts, Department of Justice and any legal questions you may have dealing with the Federal system.

Old 01-02-2018, 05:08 PM

Thanked 1,203 Times in 609 Posts
Default Leavenworth Camp closing?

My husband is in Duluth FPC and just told me there are rumors flying around that Leavenworth FPC is closing and that some of the campers will be moving to Duluth. Does anyone know if this is true? Duluth is budgeted at 475 inmates and already is at 700. Some inmates don’t have jobs and I heard some are being “laid off” and they are cutting back other things such as commissary days. Obviously they can squeeze people in if they really want, but doesn’t more “bodies” just create more potential issues?
Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2018, 06:03 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 20,328 Times in 11,843 Posts

Overcrowding does seem to increase the amount of drama, including fights in bop prisons. It doesn't seem to matter though, since virtually every one of their huge number of prisons is severely overcrowded.
Old 01-03-2018, 11:39 AM

I just heard on NPR that stock in private prisons are not doing as well as expected under Trump (mainly due to less illegal immigration arrests than expected). I'm guessing filling up the existing prison system to capacity will allow for more overflow into the private sector. Just my opinion...
Old 01-15-2018, 05:42 PM

I don't know anything about the budget but Duluth can hold over 1,000 inmates if all barracks/dorms are open.

When Pekin FPC shut down (which was kept very quiet), they transferred a ton of them to Duluth. Duluth had gone down to <400 population before it happened. Some of them ended up at Terre Haute from Duluth, the ones that weren't part of RDAP. They had to transfer all of the Pekin RDAP'ers up to Duluth.
Old 01-15-2018, 06:20 PM

There were plenty of non RDAP people from Pekin also transferred to Duluth as I just found out when I visited my husband this weekend.
Old 01-15-2018, 06:24 PM

Yeah, I know. I was just saying that RDAP got priority. Some guys that actually live closer to Duluth got sent to Terre Haute, they weren't too happy.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:01 AM

A large number of RDAP participants were moved to FPC Yankton as well from Pekin.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkcub09 View Post
Yeah, I know. I was just saying that RDAP got priority. Some guys that actually live closer to Duluth got sent to Terre Haute, they weren't too happy.

We didn't hear about anyone being transferred away from Duluth. In fact, the people at Duluth are pretty upset because it is now overcrowded and understaffed with not enough jobs for inmates and a lot of lines. I believe about 150 from Pekin came there, a bunch went to Yankton and a like number went to Thompson.

There are at least a lot of activities to keep them busy, unlike other camps like Oxford, which is why my husband did not want to end up there, even though it is much closer to our house.

A lot of people from Pekin (not in RDAP) also ended up at Thompson, which does not have an RDAP program.

I have also been told that some of the Leavenworth people that had been in RDAP that got moved to Duluth, are not in RDAP at Duluth because it is full and are now in regular dorms and on waiting lists.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkcub09 View Post
I don't think RDAP got priority, I think the issue was that they had to transfer RDAP people to a facility that has an RDAP program and Duluth and Yankton have RDAP programs, while Thompson doesn't. I think the Terre Haute FCI has RDAP but maybe not the camp, so they couldn't be sent there if that is the case. If you want to consider that priority, then in that sense yes, but that's the program it really just has to do with the program they're in, however, RDAP people live in RDAP dorms, and Duluth only has 1 RDAP dorm, so they wouldn't move non-RDAP inmates to another facility in order to make room for RDAP inmates.

People are moved from Duluth to higher level (as we are seeing with an ex roommate of my husband's) for trouble he has gotten into because unfortunately, these guys are not getting the help they actually need. So when they go back out on the streets, they are going to end up right back in prison. It is terrible to learn that you have many people in prison for the wrong reasons, and many people who need specific rehab or treatment that by no means get it, are still criminals in prison, don't learn jack while in prison, and nothing changes. As taxpayers we are the ones paying for this behavior to go on and on. I would much rather pay for these people to get the help and treatment they need and really make a difference. Talk about an eye opener!

The whole system is a joke. You have numerous white collar criminals who the taxpayers are supporting. These guys sit there and do their jobs, keep to themselves, do their thing, take classes of interest to them, and the government is footing the bill. How many of these people have wives that if they wanted now could just go on welfare and collect even more money from the government because these wives never worked before? Regardless of whether they have savings or not?

My husband told me of one inmate that pays another one to do his job at the prison so he can sleep all day. WTF? No accountability whatsoever. Other guys have told my husband why does he bother to go to his dishwasher job since he is white collar? My husband was like, because that's the job I'm assigned to and I take pride in my work. He was worried about getting to work in time yesterday while I was visiting and wanted to make sure I didn't stay too late to make him late! Even I was like, wth it's my first visit, but he still wanted to take pride in his job no matter how menial it is! It's a job.

So much has to change, but god only knows where to start and how to start. I think unless you've experienced it, you are blind to it. I admit, I was one of those people.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rockchalk1 For This Useful Post:
Itshardtowait (01-25-2018), John M (09-12-2018)
Old 07-10-2018, 08:26 PM

I heard Duluth and Yankton may be closing
Old 07-10-2018, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkett00 View Post
I heard Duluth and Yankton may be closing
This rumor has been going around for ages. I can't speak for Yankton, but at Duluth they have been continuously hiring new people, and new inmates have been coming, so as of now, no plans to close.
The Following User Says Thank You to rockchalk1 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (07-11-2018)