Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Prison Talk Does your issue not fit into another forum? Post it here. Find support, answers and assistance.

Closed Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 09:41 AM
I LOVE MY HUSBAND

Default Different Speaking People

I was watching a conversation last week between a few people. They where speaking Spanish. I did not see any rules that said that you cannot talk there native tongue on here. That you have to speak English here. How ever I saw an PTO admin say something raciest. Plus this admin went back and deleted what they had stated. I do not care what people are saying in different languages there are all kinds of things to interpret things from one languages to another. But I am also seeing that since some cannot get in the chat room that they are speaking back and forth in the post. Which it should not be a problem. There is not a P.T.O rule that says you cannot talk back and forth in post. I was also wondering why can't the instant messenger be a part of where people can post instead of the chat room since not everyone can use the chat room for one reason or another. It does not always to do with someone not posting to get into the CHAT ROOM. It is other technical difficulties. Just maybe we need an admin that can be here to deal with technical difficulties only to walk people through things.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:02 AM
Still I Rise ~M. Angelou

Thanked 1,670 Times in 763 Posts

This is a site where one person can gain insight from what another person is saying or going through. Therefor, there should be a common language spoken. It's not the politically correct thing to say, but why is this nation always bowing down to spanish speakers???
Old 07-26-2010, 10:31 AM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Donation Award 

Thanked 30,810 Times in 11,076 Posts

It's not a matter of bowing down, or racism or anything like that, but of practicality. The entire site is staffed by volunteers, and though a few might be fluent in other languages, PTO can't rely on having a steady stream of bi-lingual moderators. That means that any post in any other language is basically unmoderated . . . which leads to chaos. PTO could have a cat-fight going on and 50 posts long without being able to even know. We've also got people who are good at Russian and German and who knows what else, but mods can't be constantly searching for non-English posts and then finding someone who can actually translate them - that's just too much work!
Old 07-26-2010, 11:03 AM
I LOVE MY HUSBAND

Quote:
Originally Posted by vera31 View Post
This is a site where one person can gain insight from what another person is saying or going through. Therefor, there should be a common language spoken. It's not the politically correct thing to say, but why is this nation always bowing down to Spanish speakers???
I would not call it bowing down to anyone. There are not a lot of people that can speak English and English is very hard for some people to speak. I look at the people that go to my school. They are from Africa and learning to speak English and it is very hard for them. It would be the something if it was you learning a foreign language as well. My uncle has been in Germany all his life and now he is back in America he speaks English but he knew it before he went to Germany he went there and had to learn there native tongue as well.
Old 07-26-2010, 11:25 AM
BANNED

Thanked 1,239 Times in 581 Posts

As for me ...the only other language I know is pig latin.
Old 07-26-2010, 11:32 AM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 33,830 Times in 15,574 Posts

Quote:
There is not a P.T.O rule that says you cannot talk back and forth in post
If you're tallking back & forth discussing the op, tht's fine. However if members are chit chatting back & forth and it is not related to the op, there is in fact a rule for that:

• “Off-Topic” Posts:
Off-Topic Posts are posts that do not relate to the original post/topic, or is placed in the wrong category. While we realize threads often expand into different topics, we encourage members to do their best to stick with the original topic, or start another thread. Off-Topic posts are subject to editing or removal at administrative discretion, and without notification. Members that continuously post off topic may have their posting privileges suspended.

Also, you may always pm any Moderator or contact the Help Desk at anytime to lodge any questioin/complaints you may have about our policies. These sort of things are best kept in pm's, not on the boards. Thanks!

Attacking PTO Moderators & Administrators:
Posting a thread or reply to comment on, question, or criticize moderator or administrator action is not appropriate in a public forum. Please utilize the board’s Private Message function, the PTO Help Desk, or email to contact staff if you wish to discuss these issues. As long as you bring up your concerns maturely and civilly to the moderator or administrator in question, we will do our best to address your concerns fairly and promptly.

Here are the “Do’s” and “Don’ts” of addressing your concerns to moderators or administrators:

“Do” be civil and polite. Bring up your concerns in a mature and respectful manner. If you are contacting us because you violated forum guidelines, be adult enough to admit your mistake. If your ID has been locked for some reason, talking politely to us about it in private, via e-mail, Help Desk, or private message, can get your ID reinstated in many cases.

“Do not” be derogatory or insulting towards us. You will not get what you want by name calling or bashing us.

All we ask is that you treat us the way you would want us to treat you. If you treat us with respect, we will do the same for you.

PTO Bashing:
Threads/replies attacking Prison Talk Online Policies will not be allowed. Further, any member found to be badmouthing the Prison Talk Online community at an outside location will have their membership blocked. If you do not care for this community, you really have no business here anyway.

Here is a link to all our Policies

patchouli, PTO Admin

Last edited by patchouli; 07-26-2010 at 11:35 AM.. Reason: add comment
Old 07-26-2010, 08:04 PM
Pied Piper
Donation Award 

Thanked 12,587 Times in 3,621 Posts

PTO has commonly made it well known that PTO is an English based site. We do not allow post or threads posted in a foreign language to remain as posted, as our staff and the majority of our members do not have the capabilities to moderate these post.

We have thought of having a Spanish & French based forum, but again, the manpower to monitor these are extremely limited, so we have stuck to English Based.

All Information here is posted in English, so there is no need to post anything in another language.

We occasionally DO allow common Latin, French, German, Spanish phrases to be posted, but not conversations.

As for PTO Administration attacking a member with Racist words and then deleting that - I would greatly appreciate you letting me know which Administrator did this. PTO Administration are all listed in RED colors, and I am positive that none have done so, as most of PTO's Administration team are on Leave of Absences at this time.

If you were mistaken and I was a PTO Staff member, I would appreciate being told who this was, and where it took place as nothing is ever permanently deleted here at PTO, PTO Administration can see all removed and deleted posts even after they are gone, and we also have the ability to monitor all conversation in the PTO Chat Room, which is not new knowledge.

Talking back and forth within threads is against PTO Policy, unless it is in a chit chat thread.

We also DO have an Administrator here who deals with Technical issues on a regular basis, and this Administrator can be reached via the PTO Help Desk.

All member CAN use the PTO Chatroom once they have 25 post and 2 weeks membership. All they have to do to ensure they can get in at that point is download Java from Java.com - which is also a well posted and publicized fact here at PTO.

Other than my statements I would suggest reading my Staff's comments above quoting policy, and would suggest in the future if you have issues with PTO Staff or Administration to bring that to myself, or to the PTO Help Desk:

Administration Dispute Resolution:
If you are having a problem on PTO that you feel you cannot solve by any other means available to you, we invite you to contact the PTO administrators via PM, email, or the PTO Help Desk. Administrators have the final say regarding anything in this community.

Attacking PTO Moderators & Administrators:
Posting a thread or reply to comment on, question, or criticize moderator or administrator action is not appropriate in a public forum. Please utilize the board’s Private Message function, the PTO Help Desk, or email to contact staff if you wish to discuss these issues. As long as you bring up your concerns maturely and civilly to the moderator or administrator in question, we will do our best to address your concerns fairly and promptly.

Here are the “Do’s” and “Don’ts” of addressing your concerns to moderators or administrators:

“Do” be civil and polite. Bring up your concerns in a mature and respectful manner. If you are contacting us because you violated forum guidelines, be adult enough to admit your mistake. If your ID has been locked for some reason, talking politely to us about it in private, via e-mail, Help Desk, or private message, can get your ID reinstated in many cases.

“Do not” be derogatory or insulting towards us. You will not get what you want by name calling or bashing us.

All we ask is that you treat us the way you would want us to treat you. If you treat us with respect, we will do the same for you.

• PTO Bashing:
Threads/replies attacking or questioning Prison Talk Online Policies will not be allowed.
Further, any member found to be badmouthing the Prison Talk Online community at an outside location will have their membership blocked. If you do not care for this community, you really have no business here anyway.
Old 07-27-2010, 02:02 AM

Thanked 1,482 Times in 752 Posts

PTO would be impossible to Moderate and would lose value to most of its members if it were to use any number of languages other then American or English.

I was born speaking Norwegian, grew up learning to speak English while taking five years of French and two years of Latin. English is the hardest language to learn.

Then finally moved to the US and had to learn to speak American. (there are many differences between English and American). American is even harder to learn than English when you consider all the common terms used which have opposite meanings.

I still have problems with credit card machines which want to "swipe" my card, which means to "steal" instead of saying to "scan" your credit card...

So please, lets keep PTO in English or American. I just can't handle learning another language...
Closed Thread