Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR "OFFENDERS" > Headed to Prison
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Headed to Prison Dedicated to those who are facing incarceration. What to expect; what you can do to prepare; Q&A's; support.

Old 06-21-2009, 07:56 PM

Default The night before sentencing, speaking on his behalf - need advice?

He's been gone since 2/3/09, and it just doesn't get any easier. My 3 children and I are waiting for him to come home, and to start all over again, as we have so many times before. He is definately worth the wait. My husband of 20 years is Bi-Polar. He was diagnosed about 12 years ago. He is a full time felon. ( DUI's, theft, drugs) My husband doesn't ever hurt anybody but himself, and that's the tragedy in all of this. He did so well for so many years, and then his father died, and his younger brother unexpectingly. That was in 2005, and he hasn't been the same since. Anyway, he has priors, was on probation for a theft in a store, and did it again. He signed a plea, (they dropped 2 counts) and he has to go to Prison. He is facing up to 3 1/2 years. So it's all up to the Judge. That's what led me here. Tomorrow I am going to speak on my husbands behalf. I don't know what to say. I have already written a letter. I don't want to babble on (like now), but I want her to know how much I need him to come home. Any suggestions??
Thanks

dinner45
Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-2009, 08:01 PM

I'm so sorry. Maybe you could talk about how the past is the past, and your husband has to live with that, but in no way does it reflect what his future will be like. Or you could stress the importance of having him properly medicated for his bipolar disorder, and that when his disease is being properly treated, he's a good guy who doesn't do the things that he's being sentenced for. Just some ideas... best of luck.
The Following User Says Thank You to jasmine29 For This Useful Post:
dinner45 (06-21-2009)
Old 06-21-2009, 08:20 PM
Account Closed
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,385 Times in 1,088 Posts

Pre-sentencing statements are the hardest thing to write and even harder to hear if it is your sentencing.

My life partner and parents spoke at my sentencing. By the time it was over I was in tears.

I wish I could give you advice, but I was in his shoes so to speak. Speak from the heart with passion, but try to keep from "babbling" as you said.

My Dad spoke of how proud he was of my military career and of the things I did while was in uniform, of how he was amazed that I could juggle all that I accomplished (which in my eyes was not as much as those that I admire in uniform) while in uniform and was most of the time a single mother to four children.

That was my Dad though, if I had to do it I do not know what I would say now.

God Bless and be with you both tomorrow and always.

Patti