Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > NEW JERSEY > New Jersey General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

New Jersey General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in New Jersey that do not fit into any other New Jersey sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 03-04-2009, 07:15 PM

Default My ex hubby is going to medium security prison

I think thats what his lawyer said medium or minimum security state prison in nj. I have read several posts here which gave me a lot of information on the jonas farm, bayside & southheads something prisons. But my concern is what if they dont send him to minimum security and they send him to medium security. He is sentenced to 3rd degree insurance fraud - 4 flat years in state prison. It is his 1st time ever to be sentenced on a crime, but in the past i had reported him to police for domestic violence and he had been arrested few times, although no one was taken to hospital, no marks, no injury or assault. Finally I had gotten a restraint order against him which he violated by email and i again reported him to police because i was mad at him at that time. For that the lower court ordered him 6 months probation for disorderly person and he completed ADV classes but during this probation for 6 months he filed a false insurance claim so it was taken as violation. I wonder if this thing will affect him getting into a Minimum security prison. I would appreciate all the replies if anyone can help please help. Thanks a lot and god bless
Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2009, 08:39 PM
...over easy
Donation Award 

Lawyers often make statements like this but the reality is that his lawyer [or any lawyer for that matter] cannot dictate where one will be sent once in the hands of the DOC. Once your loved one is put into the hands of the DOC, they have total decision-making authority about his every move until he leaves their custody. Not even a judge can dictate a prison location for an individual; they can only recommend.

There is little to no difference between minimum and medium security prisons in NJ. The only minimum prison left is Bayside now that Riverfront is closing. All the rest are medium with the exception of East Jersey [Rahway] and NJSP [Trenton]--they are maximum security prisons; NJ law dictates that a maximum security prison be contained by a wall [not wire]. Given that, there are prisoners of any classification found throughout the prisons no matter how the prison is classified. However, Rahway and Trenton mostly hold men who are doing very long sentences. As their sentence gets shorter, they may be moved to Northern or South Woods or Southern State.

When he goes to CRAF for classification, they will look at everything, conduct tests and assessments; based on the results they will determine his classification and home prison. Given his sentence and limited violent crime history he is likely to go to one of the medium or minimum prisons.

ERacism

...if i know anything at all,
it's that a wall is just a wall
and nothing more at all,
it can be broken down.

---assata shakur
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to egs For This Useful Post:
bean123 (03-05-2009), jasonzwifey2011 (03-05-2009)