Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > IDAHO Prison & Criminal Justice Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

IDAHO Prison & Criminal Justice Discussions Topics and conversations dealing with the State of Idaho - Department of Corrections, Criminal Justice System, Prisoner & Family Support, News & Information, etc.

Old 06-30-2005, 04:42 PM

Default Police dog attacks local teen

Police dog attacks Meridian boy
10:57 AM MDT on Thursday, June 30, 2005
Associated Press

MERIDIAN -- An Ada County Sheriff's Office police dog mauled a boy yesterday in Meridian.

Sheriff's officials confirmed the dog had escaped from the home of its handler.

Witnesses say the German shepherd-like dog appeared to have knocked the teen boy from his bicycle before biting his neck and shoulder.

The injuries appeared minor, but a neighbor who pulled the dog off the boy says there was lots of blood.

The youngster was treated by paramedics and released to his mother.

Sheriff's officials didn't immediately say how they'd deal with the incident.

The dog has been impounded by Meridian animal control officers, but may be returned to its owner if it's had its rabies shots.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-2005, 04:50 PM

Now I could be wrong, but I think that the other dogs that have been involved in attacks were put down. Now some of them may not have been up on their shots, but I am pretty sure that at least one other was.

I was always under the impression that police dogs or any other attack dog for that matter were trained to only attack under command.

Now I am not saying that any dog should be put down, but is what I am saying is this dog should be treated no differant then any other dog who attacks for absolutaly no reason. This dog shouldnt get any special privalages just because he is a police dog
Old 06-30-2005, 08:58 PM

05:40 PM MDT on Thursday, June 30, 2005
Robbie Johnson
Idaho's NewsChannel 7

BOISE -- A 13-year-old boy is recovering today after being bit several times by a police dog.
Police dogs are meant to go after criminals, but in this case the teen attacked did nothing wrong.

Jacob Yoneda was treated and released after he was taken to the hospital, but first he received several stitches and a prescription for pain medication.

It all started at lunch time Wednesday. Jacob was riding his bike in Meridian when a police dog ran after him and knocked him down at the intersection of 13th and Radial. Jacob was only able to escape after a neighbor grabbed the dog and got bit in the hand in the process. The K-9 is a Belgium "malamaw." Like other K-9 dogs, it lives with his Ada County deputy handler and is used to track and apprehend criminals.

“He wasn't angry. It was part of that dog’s personality, and the dog basically broke through the kennel that he was in, the handler was home at the time of the incident, and the dog was just far enough away the handler didn't hear the commotion," said Captain Ron Freeman, Ada County Sheriff's Office.

“He bit me right there, then I think he started chewing on my ear. Then his mouth went into my mouth and mostly punctured it,” said Jacob Yoneda, attack victim.

Jacob was also bit on his back and arm.

The dog will be quarantined for ten days and there will be an investigation into why the dog behaved the way it did. Repairs will also be made to the dog's kennel.

The sheriff's office hopes to keep the dog on the force and says the animal was likely doing what it was trained to do when it went after Jacob.

However, Meridian Police are seeking to charge bring criminal charges in this case for a dog at large and dog rushing.
Old 06-30-2005, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNC
The sheriff's office hopes to keep the dog on the force and says the animal was likely doing what it was trained to do when it went after Jacob.
Maybe I am missing something, but how is attacking a boy who is innocenly riding his bike "doing what he was trained to do"? As I said before I thought those kind of dogs acted on command.

And then I have yet another opinion about this police dog getting away with this type of behavior and it somehow being justified, but its best we dont even go there
Old 06-30-2005, 09:29 PM

Angry

You are so right. I totally agree with you and I think that it is best that I just leave it with that said.
Old 07-13-2005, 01:14 PM

Default Police dog who bit teen removed from force

11:37 AM MDT on Wednesday, July 13, 2005
KTVB

BOISE -- The Ada County Sheriff has pulled a K-9 unit off the force.

Earlier this month the police dog knocked a Meridian teen off his bike and bit him.

The sheriff says the dog escaped from its kennel and was doing what it was trained to do.

But to help residents feel more comfortable the dog will likely be sold to another police agency.

The sheriff's office will get a replacement K-9 officer.
Old 07-13-2005, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNC
But to help residents feel more comfortable the dog will likely be sold to another police agency.
If this isnt passing the buck then I dont know what is. If they believe the dog is safe enough for another agency then exactly why are they getting rid of it. IMO the fact they are easing one communities mind on a dog they feel is safe then something tells me they have doubts about the dog. IMO if they felt that strongly that the dog was safe then they would keep the dog. Its just passing the problem on for another community to deal with.

My next question is when they put this dog on the market are they going to tell the other agency exactly WHY they are gettting rid of the dog and if so is another agency going to be willing to take an animal that has attacked like this?

I was under the impression that the dogs live with the officers who handle them and they are only handled by one officer. If that is the case then how easy will it be for a dog to be assigned to a new partner?