Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > SOUTH DAKOTA Prison & Criminal Justice Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

SOUTH DAKOTA Prison & Criminal Justice Discussions Topics and conversations dealing with the State of South Dakota - Department of Corrections, Criminal Justice System, Prisoner & Family Support, Prison Visitation, Prison Mail & Phones, News & Information, etc.

Closed Thread
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2006, 08:20 PM
California Sunshine's Avatar
California Sunshine California Sunshine is offline
Yes I'm back! :)
Donation Award 

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Cali of course
Posts: 29,975
Thanks: 1,294
Thanked 1,190 Times in 497 Posts
Exclamation South Dakota Inmate Living Guide

Located http://www.state.sd.us/corrections/F...rientation.htm
It is in pdf format if you wish to view all details http://www.state.sd.us/corrections/2...ng%20Guide.pdf

The South Dakota Department of Corrections uses a classification system to guide your institutional placement, the degree of control and supervision required to maintain custody of you, and to ensure the security of each facility and the safety of staff, inmates and the public.

Living Quarters

The care and cleaning of your living area, room or cell is your responsibility.
Any structural problem (leaking faucets and toilets, defective light fixtures, etc.) must be reported to your Unit Team. Defacing or damaging your living quarters or any other property in any way is strictly prohibited. You will be financially liable for damage you do to any state property.

Personal Property

You are allowed to have certain items of personal property. Lists of allowable
personal property and approved ways of obtaining these items are available in your housing unit. Personal property will be stored according to unit rules.
Certain items must be recorded by correctional staff on your property list. The items which must be recorded on your property list are identified in the allowable property listing. Employees cannot ensure the safety of personal property from loss, theft, or damage resulting from acts or omissions by you or other inmates.
In order to possess items of personal property you are required to sign a Personal Property Agreement, which absolves all correctional employees from any liability resulting from loss or damage to your property. This does not mean you will not be fairly compensated for loss or damage to your property caused as a direct result of an act or omission by a correctional employee.
An inmate who is found to have committed a Category 5 Prohibited Act at any time or three (3) Category 4 Prohibited Acts within any twelve (12) month period may be required to forfeit a significant portion of his/her personal property.


Any item not authorized for you to have is contraband. Approved items may be contraband if they have been altered, are possessed in higher quantity than authorized, are used in ways for which they were not intended, or obtained through an unapproved source.
You will be held responsible for contraband found on you, in your living quarters, in a storage space assigned to you or at your work site. Contraband will be confiscated and you will be subject to disciplinary action.

Release Planning

You will be provided with programs and services to assist you with your transition from prison to the community. If you are within five (5) years of a possible release date you will need to participate in a release planning program and develop a release plan.
This section does not apply if you are sentenced under capital punishment or if you are sentenced to life in prison.

Personal Cleanliness and Grooming

You will be issued enough clothing to maintain a neat and clean appearance. You should take a shower and change your clothes regularly unless excused by a doctor.
Alteration of clothing is not permitted. Altered personal clothing will be confiscated.
Worn out or torn state issued clothing may be exchanged.
Hair must be kept clean and neat in appearance and cannot pose a safety or
sanitation threat in your work or program assignment.

DNA Testing

If you were admitted to the DOC or are in the custody/supervision of the DOC on or after July 1, 2003 you must provide a DNA sample if you have not previously done so.
You will not be released in any manner unless and until you have provided the required DNA sample. Knowingly refusing to provide such DNA sample is a Class 5 felony.

Food Service

You will normally be allowed three meals each weekday and at least two meals each holiday and weekend day.
Your face, hands and hair should be clean for every meal. Shoes and shirts must be worn in the dining area. Use good table manners and leave your table and eating area as neat and clean as possible. Shouting or movement from table to table is not allowed in dining areas.
Some institutions have assigned seating in the dining hall. If you are housed in one of these locations, staff will direct you where to sit in the dining hall.
Medical orders for a special diet will be handled according to established policy.
Requests for a special religious diet should be directed to the Cultural Activities Coordinator.
You are not permitted to trade or give away any food from your special diet. Youmay be held financially responsible if you do not pick up a special diet meal that was prepared for you.

Health Services

The Department of Corrections will make provisions for reasonably necessary
medical care for you while you are an inmate. Such services may include medical,mental, dental, optometry and emergency medical care. If you have questions on how to access health services, contact your Unit Team.
You will be charged a fee for each medical visit you initiate.

Inmate Accounts
An account will be established in your name upon your arrival at a Department of Corrections’ facility. Money received for you will be deposited in this account. Money may be received from the outside through the mail or from wages paid in an institutional program or job. In order to have any outside funds deposited, you are required to sign an Authorization to Deposit.
You may receive business/payroll checks, cashier’s checks, government checks or money orders through the mail only for deposit into your account. You will be provided a monthly statement of your account. You are responsible for keeping track of the balance
in your account, and will be subject to disciplinary action for overdrawing your account.


You will normally be allowed access to a commissary to purchase candy, foodstuffs,toiletries and other items such as pop tokens. Your total purchase at commissary, including tokens, may not exceed the amount specified on the commissary list. Excess commissary items will be confiscated as contraband.
You may request and receive indigent commissary only once every twenty-eight (28) days and only if you meet the guidelines in the DOC policy on Inmate Commissary. You may reference more information regarding indigent commissary from your facility operational memorandums.
Trading, buying, selling, or holding property for others is forbidden. Any irregularity in connection with a commissary order will result in disciplinary action. Inmates who havetheir accounts frozen due to lack of funds or administrative action may not go to commissary unless given approval.

Mail is subject to the rules of the institution and department, and may be inspected.
Correspondence or publications may be confiscated or rejected if they violate
institutional or departmental rules.
Incoming and outgoing mail must be sent via the U.S. Postal Service or UPS.
Outside orders/packages may only be received from authorized sources. Outside orders/packages must be approved in advance through your Unit Team.
Correspondence cannot be passed through the control room or visit room.

Telephone Privileges

Telephone calls are subject to the rules of the institution. Rule violations can result in the loss of the ability to make outgoing telephone calls. By using the inmate telephone system you automatically give consent to the monitoring and recording of your calls. The State does not pay for outgoing inmate calls.
You have the option of either placing a collect call or a debit call, provided you have funds available in your debit phone account. The cost of a collect call will be charged to the recipient. A debit call is charged against your debit phone account. Funds received from the community via a money order or cashiers check that are clearly designated as "phone funds" will be deposited into your debit phone account. If incoming money orders or cashiers checks are not designated as "phone funds", the money will be deposited
into your institutional account.

You may be allowed to visit with those people who have been approved and who have been placed on your visit list. Attorneys and clergy will be allowed to visit, pursuant to policy, after presenting proper credentials and identification.
While in Admissions & Orientation, you are only allowed visits from attorneys or clergy. Visits from family and friends may be permitted after you have been transferred to a permanent housing unit.

Visits consist of two classes: Class I is a contact visit in a designated area;
Class II is a non-contact visit in which you are separated from your visitor. Class II visits must be scheduled in advance at the Sioux Falls complex.
You will be searched after your visit. Your visitors may be searched in private by a staff member of the same sex. A visitor may choose to leave the facility
rather than submit to a search; but refusing to submit to a search may result in the denial of future visiting privileges.
If there is suspicion of smuggling contraband you can be placed on Class II visits.
Violation of visiting rules may result in any or all of the following:
· The termination of your visit;
· The loss of visiting privileges;
· Restriction to Class II visits;
· Disciplinary action.
Visiting hours are posted in your housing unit.

Religious Activities and Programs

Religious activities are provided on a voluntary basis. You are welcome and
encouraged to get involved in these activities. You are to conduct yourself in an appropriate manner, showing respect for the faith and practice of others, as well as your own. You may contact the Cultural Activities Coordinator for more information on what religious activities are available.

Alcohol and Drug Testing

A testing program is used to detect the use of drugs, alcohol and unauthorized substances. Refusing, altering, circumventing, or failing to produce a urine or breath sample is against prison rules and you will be subject to disciplinary action.

Legal Access

The Department of Corrections provides all inmates access to the courts through access to private legal staff. Most private legal staff have regularly scheduled office hours or you can make an appointment to see them. Legal reference books are also available at designated areas of the South Dakota State Penitentiary, the Jameson Annex, the Mike Durfee State Prison, and the South Dakota Women’s Prison.
Private practice attorneys and/or court appointed attorneys may meet with you in person. These meetings should be scheduled during regular visiting hours.
Telephone calls to an attorney will not be monitored or recorded upon request; however, the name and phone number of the attorney must first be verified. Telephone calls to attorneys will be made collect or will be charged to your debit account.
Properly addressed incoming and outgoing legal mail will be inspected in your
presence. Your Unit Team can provide you with a list of what is considered legal mail.

Disciplinary Actions

Prohibited Acts are divided into five categories. The higher the category, the more serious the offense.
You will be subject to disciplinary action and sanctions for violating any Prohibited Act. Rule violations may also negatively impact your classification status and your parole release.

Parole and Parole Eligibility

If you are serving a sentence for a crime committed prior to July 1, 1996, parole eligibility is based on the number of felony convictions on your record after the deduction of good time. A first time felony offender is eligible for parole after serving one-fourth of the sentence; a second time offender is eligible for parole after serving three-eighths of the sentence; a three time or more offender is eligible for parole after serving one-half of the sentence.
The minimum sentence for a Class A or Class B felony is life and inmates serving life sentences are not eligible for parole.

Good Time

If you are serving a sentence for a crime you committed prior to July 1, 1996, Good Time was credited to you upon your admission to a DOC facility. Good Time may only be taken away or restored as provided by South Dakota law. Inmates serving a life sentence are not eligible for Good Time.
A written request for the return of good time needs to be submitted to your Case Manager if you are eligible. If you are not sure about your eligibility for the return of good time contact your Case Manager.For each additional year after 10 years, your total Good Time reduction is 6
months per year. If you are serving a sentence for a crime committed on or after July 1, 1996 you do not receive good time.

Good Time Chart (From http://www.state.sd.us/corrections/2...ng%20Guide.pdf) :

A)Sentence (First Row) B) Good Time Days/Months (Second Row) C) Total Good Time Reduction (Third Row)

less than 1 yr 10 Pro-rata
1 10 4 months
2 10 8 months
3 10 1 year
4 10 1 year, 4 months
5 10 1 year, 8 months
6 10 2 years
7 10 2 years, 4 months
8 10 2 years, 8 months
9 10 3 years
10 15 3 years, 6 months

Get well soon David! You are in our thoughts
Sponsored Links
Closed Thread


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:57 AM.
Copyright © 2001- 2019 Prison Talk Online
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Website Design & Custom vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media
Message Board Statistics