Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Probation, Supervised Release, Halfway House and Community Supervision
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal Probation, Supervised Release, Halfway House and Community Supervision This forum is dedicated to information & discussions relating to U.S. Federal Probation & Community Supervision, including half-way houses.

Old 09-17-2019, 06:54 PM

Default International Travel Question

I was recently granted early termination from probation. A few weeks later I traveled out of the country and even though I am no longer on probation I was flagged and sent to secondary inspection (90 minute process) when coming back into the US. Not sure whether this was a one time thing but, it may have something to do with the federal conviction on my record. Will see if it happens next international trip I take.

Anyone else who has completed their sentence and subsequently traveled internationally been sent to secondary inspection? If so has it continued each time you travel?
Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-2019, 06:57 PM

What was your conviction for (rhetorical question - you donít have to answer)?

I completed probation and Iíve traveled back and forth between here and Canada and Europe multiple times (over 30 times since 2017). Iíve never been examined at secondary. Iím a US / German dual citizen, so I use my German passport worldwide except for getting back Into the US and at Canada land crossings. I got a visa to Russia no problem either. So I think it is a case by case basis. I was charged and plead guilty to a white collar crime.

If you continue to be examined, you can request redress. Itís a lengthy process but it can help clear things up with CBP.

Last edited by ttexrbomb; 09-17-2019 at 07:03 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to ttexrbomb For This Useful Post:
Lovebirds (09-23-2019)
Old 09-17-2019, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttexrbomb View Post
What was your conviction for (rhetorical question - you donít have to answer)?

I completed probation and Iíve traveled back and forth between here and Canada and Europe multiple times (over 30 times since 2017). Iíve never been examined at secondary. Iím a US / German dual citizen, so I use my German passport worldwide except for getting back Into the US and at Canada land crossings. I got a visa to Russia no problem either. So I think it is a case by case basis. I was charged and plead guilty to a white collar crime.

If you continue to be examined, you can request redress. Itís a lengthy process but it can help clear things up with CBP.
Thank you, that is helpful information. My crime was white collar as well. Nothing that had to do with crossing the border, homeland security, immigration, transportation of anything illegal etc.. I suppose it is a case by case basis and hoping it doesnt continue to happen as I travel abroad extensively. It appears you do as well. I am surprised you do not have an issue going to Canada. I hear it is almost impossible to get in with any type of conviction.
Old 09-17-2019, 10:15 PM
attorney

Thanked 21,938 Times in 7,638 Posts

My older brother has always been flagged. The last time I travelled with him post 9-11, he was flagged and he hadn't been on paper for years. His primary conviction was for drug smuggling, so he expects it each and every time. So do the people he travels with.

In more recent years, he started getting in trouble again for drug and alcohol related crimes. No more travel for at least 5 more years.
Old 09-18-2019, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldwide View Post
Thank you, that is helpful information. My crime was white collar as well. Nothing that had to do with crossing the border, homeland security, immigration, transportation of anything illegal etc.. I suppose it is a case by case basis and hoping it doesnt continue to happen as I travel abroad extensively. It appears you do as well. I am surprised you do not have an issue going to Canada. I hear it is almost impossible to get in with any type of conviction.

My crime was a very unique one when it comes to Canada. Since it involved public benefits and the dollar amount I was accused of collecting, the crime is considered a summary (misdemeanor) offense in Canada, not a hybrid (felony/misdemeanor) or indictable (felony) offense. I believe that is why I am not experiencing any issues.

To be inadmissible to Canada, the crime you committed here must also be a crime there, and your crime must be either a hybrid or indictable offense. The famous one people get caught up in is DUI, but there are others that appear to be serious in the US but arenít there.

There are ways to become admissible to Canada after a period of time. You can apply for rehabilitation after 5 years. Itís a process, but if approved it will remove your inadmissible flag.

Good luck.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ttexrbomb For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (09-18-2019), Lovebirds (09-19-2019)
Old 09-18-2019, 10:28 PM

Good information.
completely out of curiosity and, it may be impossible to know but, when returning to the US and, the Customs official scans a passport I wonder if it just alerts them in general to send someone to secondary inspection or if it not only flags the traveler but, also tells the customs officer why such as "prior federal conviction for xyz offense.
Old 09-19-2019, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldwide View Post
Good information.

completely out of curiosity and, it may be impossible to know but, when returning to the US and, the Customs official scans a passport I wonder if it just alerts them in general to send someone to secondary inspection or if it not only flags the traveler but, also tells the customs officer why such as "prior federal conviction for xyz offense.

The customs agent had his computer tilted towards me a few times when I was driving through, so I was able to see what was on it. They scan your passport and as they ask questions, the computer is running your name and the car license plate information. After it does a preliminary check, there is a box on the screen that either illuminates green (ok to proceed) or red (refer for examination). Between 2009 and 2012, I would always get called into secondary, but theyíd never tell me why. Come to find out, I had a protection order from 1995 that expired but was still in the national system. Once i found this out, i contacted the court and they took care of the issue. But when at the border, theyíd always take my passport and tell me to park and go inside to secondary. Theyíd hand me a slip and the slip simply said ďNCIC hitĒ. Iíd wait, then theyíd let me through. Luckily this stopped in 2012 (ironically before I was charged). I was off paper in 2017 and resume my cross border travel with no issues.

I have a friend who works for CBP and another one who works with CBSA in Canada and they told me the front agents donít get the detail information. They only see that ďsomething may be thereĒ. In order to run a full NCIC check, it takes much longer to identify and verify information. Thatís what secondary does. They can then take their time while you wait.

They also see all your previous border crossing data, and what happened at each interaction. Back in August, i crossed the Canada/US border at Osoyoos from Canada to US, then went back into Canada. Later that day, I crossed again at Lynden. The CBP officer knew I crossed earlier that day at Osoyoos, so they do see a wealth of information. If youíve ever been denied entry, failed to declare or if the secondary had questioned you because if a previous conviction...that data is available to the front line agent. But the full NCIC check that is done is conducted at secondary due to the time it takes.

Last edited by ttexrbomb; 09-19-2019 at 09:28 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to ttexrbomb For This Useful Post:
Lovebirds (09-23-2019)
Old 09-19-2019, 09:31 AM

I know Canada border agents have a quota. They have 60 seconds to process each traveler at primary. If questions still remain after 60 seconds, then they send you to secondary. This is what makes it so long lines donít form at the border (at least the northern border).
Old 09-19-2019, 09:15 PM

I was denied entry going to Canada 20 years ago for a previous felony battery charge on my record. Would this pop up on their screen that I was once denied entry? (even twenty years ago). At that point referred to secondary and then of course after further searching my recent federal conviction would turn up and I would be sent back. Would like to go but, not worth it if their is no chance to get in.
Old 09-19-2019, 09:22 PM

[quote=ttexrbomb;7794513]The customs agent had his computer tilted towards me a few times when I was driving through, so I was able to see what was on it. They scan your passport and as they ask questions, the computer is running your name and the car license plate information. After it does a preliminary check, there is a box on the screen that either illuminates green (ok to proceed) or red (refer for examination). Between 2009 and 2012, I would always get called into secondary, but they’d never tell me why. Come to find out, I had a protection order from 1995 that expired but was still in the national system. Once i found this out, i contacted the court and they took care of the issue. But when at the border, they’d always take my passport and tell me to park and go inside to secondary. They’d hand me a slip and the slip simply said “NCIC hit”. I’d wait, then they’d let me through. Luckily this stopped in 2012 (ironically before I was charged). I was off paper in 2017 and resume my cross border travel with no issues.

Good knowledge. It seems after my passport is scanned a box pops up with some writing in it and I always see the agent reading something which appears to be about a paragraph long. Is this the box you are referring too? They then type a sentence or two and refer me to secondary. I suppose I will never truly know for sure what exactly the reason is I am being sent to secondary but, if it continues to happen I will ask for a redress.