Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > WASHINGTON > Washington Prisons & Jail Specific Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Washington Prisons & Jail Specific Discussions Topics & discussions about specific Prison & Jails in the state of Washington.

Old 01-20-2010, 12:03 AM

Default Shelton intake process

My son was transferred today from the Snohomish County Jail to Shelton for the intake process. We called there just before 5:00pm and were told he was there in intake. We haven't heard from him yet and it is now 10:00pm. They said he would get one free call after he was processed. Does anyone know how long that process takes?
Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2010, 08:52 PM

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Winner Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Donation Award 

Thanked 2,976 Times in 1,392 Posts

It can take 2 to 3 days at most. Hang in there - he will call.

PTO Quarterly Winter Edition
Follow the Link to the newest Edition!

Old 01-21-2010, 03:55 PM

Thanked 1,482 Times in 752 Posts

When he is processed he will be given a PIN number which will let him access the telephone system. This can take a few days and there is usually a line at the telephones. They don't get out to where the phones are all the time. They are in the gym if he is in R1,2,3. Calling Shelton will not help unless it has been over a week and he has not called. Also not all phone systems will accept collect calls from the prisons. You should check with your telephone carrier on this. If he tries to call your cell phone number collect that could be a problem as well.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:35 PM

My babes is headed there tomorrow. I'm pretty scared! I heard it can take days before he can even call!
Old 08-19-2010, 12:27 PM

My boyfriend just left today...he's still on the road. My phone account is set up for him to call whenever he gets to the yard. Does anyone know if they are allowed to call in the evenings?

Old 08-19-2010, 04:09 PM

It will be a day or so. He cannot access the phone system until they issue him a telephone PIN number. There are always never enough phones and waiting lines so be patient.
Old 08-24-2010, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by his_girl View Post
My boyfriend just left today...he's still on the road. My phone account is set up for him to call whenever he gets to the yard. Does anyone know if they are allowed to call in the evenings?
They have night yard every fourth day.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HisLoveAwaits View Post
They have night yard every fourth day.
My bf said they have it every other night. They had it last night and the night before, so they should have it tomorrow. I hope its not every 4 days.
Old 08-25-2010, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9months View Post
My bf said they have it every other night. They had it last night and the night before, so they should have it tomorrow. I hope its not every 4 days.
Maybe it depends on the Units.
Old 08-25-2010, 02:50 AM

The entry units R1,R2,R3 are the old fashion tiers with sliding doors with bars on them. They have an outside yard and a gym. The units alternate for yard and gym and the telephones are in the gym.

As they progress to the lower R units their yard and gym both have telephones. However there are often lines at the telephones....
Old 08-25-2010, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilB View Post
The entry units R1,R2,R3 are the old fashion tiers with sliding doors with bars on them. They have an outside yard and a gym. The units alternate for yard and gym and the telephones are in the gym.

As they progress to the lower R units their yard and gym both have telephones. However there are often lines at the telephones....
My bf is in R1 and he said they just closed their gym to refurbish and it will be closed for a month or something so they are hangin out outside mostly. Fortunately its nice out right now. I guess there must be phones somewhere if he is calling me with the gym being closed. I don't know, I cannot even picture that place really. Not really looking forward to going there to visit, even though I cannot wait to go visit, you know?
Old 08-25-2010, 04:34 AM

Here is a Google Earth image of the Washington Corrections Ctr at Shelton.

The upper blue building is the Gym for R1-R3 and the long building next to it is R1,R2 and R3. Numbered from right to left. Their yard is north and both sides of the gym building. Each R has its own dining hall protruding out the north side of each unit.

In the lower part of the facility are R4 R5 R6 and R7 (counter clockwise) These building have 4 wings each. They have the big yard which they surround. Their gym is just north of R4. The gym shares the building with the main dining hall.

Inmates in R1 - R3 use underground tunnels to access medical and other services such as evaluation testing.

Use the Google cameras to look around the prison.

Last edited by PhilB; 08-25-2010 at 04:37 AM..
Old 08-26-2010, 07:43 PM

yeah, my boyfriend mentioned the tunnel he is in R1 and has called me from the gym as well as outside....the gym is closed for awhile though.

Old 08-31-2010, 08:07 PM

Talking Yay!

My visitation has been accepted! I just sent it in on the 17th and it already went through, I was expecting to have to wait at least another week, so I am pleasantly surprised. He just got moved up to R7 so I get to hug my baby on Friday! I am so excited! I just hope I don't become a blubbering mess when I first see his face....Has anyone else whose loved one just got to Shelton recently had the same experience? I hope so! Although, he said he is sleeping on the floor in a cell with 2 or 3 other guys but they have a TV! On an unrelated note, my bf has an infected and impacted wisdom tooth but has no dental insurance so has not been able to take care of it. They are going to pull it for him next week! For $3.00! So glad for him. I am feeling much better than I was, thank you Lord!
Old 09-19-2010, 05:23 PM

Question Upper R units...

What if they are in R6 or R7 - are the phone rules the same [I know the lack of and lines are] - will they still have to wait for a phone pin and if you can accept collect calls will they be able to call ASAP or do they still have to wait?
Old 09-19-2010, 11:50 PM

The guys in R-4,5,6,7 do have better access to phones than R-1,2,3. as they have more time out, but they still need a PIN number to access the phone system. There are phones in the yard but if it is raining or foggy they will not get out to the yard.
Old 09-20-2010, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsCabreaghne View Post
What if they are in R6 or R7 - are the phone rules the same [I know the lack of and lines are] - will they still have to wait for a phone pin and if you can accept collect calls will they be able to call ASAP or do they still have to wait?
It all depends on how fast they get their pin and what time they have gym and yard. When Ryan got there he was processed that morning and thankfully had yard that night so he was able to contact me.

"Hearts will never be practical until they're made unbreakable"
--Wizard of Oz

Last edited by krik210; 09-20-2010 at 01:33 PM..
Old 08-07-2011, 01:14 PM

2 or 3 days for intake. Holy cow!! My guys sentencing is on Tuesday. He might get up to 5 years.. But he's excited to go. He's been sitting in county for almost 6 months so we could get married before he goes. But the Prosecuting attorney just gave us approval and it wont be able to happen in time.. But Why is it I'm more scared than he seems to be. I know prison is some place he never wanted to go. But whenever we talk about it he only has good things to say about going. What do they say? County time is hard time. So here are my questions: 1. Which is better for the phones. A prepay account or the money on the inmates phone? 2. What will he go through the first day of intake? Is it like county? I was told they do STI checks, and IQ testing. Is that true? 3. How long does it take to get approved for a visit? We're also co-defendants in the case. Will that effect it? 4. Has anyone else ever had those days where they just think about there loved ones and cried. I'm so scared for him. What do you tell your loved ones in times like these?
Old 08-07-2011, 02:45 PM

If you are co-defendents in the case make sure that it is in the court papers that you are allowed contact with each other. Even at that it is up to the discretion of the prison as to whether visits are allowed.
Old 08-07-2011, 04:56 PM
just a baby mamma

Thanked 1,131 Times in 627 Posts

native~ if you are co-defendents in the case 99.9% sure you wont get visits approved in DOC, DOC is ALOT different than county!
the intake process goes like this the first week or so they are in the lower R Units, which they do all there testing which includes, shots, seeing the counselor being classified into what classification they will be as to what home prison they will be sent to ex: min, med, max
also the phone calls are sporatic at shelton as you can NEVER be dependant on them, keep in mind there are 200-300 guys per 20 phones. vconnect is what we use for the phone calls, it's 3.66 a call i believe
visits can take up to 4-6 weeks for approval, sometimes a week, but in your case expect it to take a while
Old 09-13-2019, 03:28 PM

Default What is allowed while in Reception at Shelton?

So my man has been at Shelton for 8 days, and has been able to make exactly one phone call each to myself and his mom. I'm losing my mind!! Here are my zillion questions:

--He's in R1 and says they are in their cells like 22 hours a day, then long lines for the phone. Will he get more access later in the process (moved up to another R unit or something?), or is it going to be like this for 4-6 weeks or longer?? Or only if he gets a work assignment?

--I know they can't receive packages through Union Supply while in Reception; are books and magazines also not allowed? What will happen to the book package I had sent to him if they don't?

--No other services are available through my JPay account except sending money, and the customer service person said that he has to authorize people from his end for email for video. I'm guessing they don't have access to the JPay kiosks during Reception then? Will this change later in the process, or are we stuck with only phone calls and letters?

--If it takes at least a month to have visitation approved, is it possible that he will get his transfer assignment before I even get to see him?? If that happens, will my visitation approval work at a new facility, or will I have to go through the application process all over somewhere else?

Thanks, everyone. This not knowing/lack of contact in the beginning is AWFUL.
Old 09-13-2019, 04:52 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 22,644 Times in 13,030 Posts

Here's a link to the Washington prison's orientation handbook for new inmates.
https://www.doc.wa.gov/docs/publications/400-HA002.pdf

One commonality between just about every prison system is that orientation/classification is the hardest time for inmates and for their families. Always remember that it will end.
Old 09-14-2019, 06:44 AM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Award 

Donation Award 

Thanked 8,230 Times in 3,218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by montananshelby View Post

--He's in R1 and says they are in their cells like 22 hours a day, then long lines for the phone. Will he get more access later in the process (moved up to another R unit or something?), or is it going to be like this for 4-6 weeks or longer?? Or only if he gets a work assignment?
As long as he's in reception, things will continue on as they are now. He will continue to be confined for 22 hrs/day until he moves to his "home institution". I know it's difficult, but it is the way it is. If it helps any, the reason they confine them like that is because there are a zillion and one bits of bureaucracy that they need to do, and being able to always find him at any time to ask questions, finish paperwork, etc, speeds up the process for everyone. Imagine how slow it would be if every time they needed info from him, they had to track him down to find him. Then multiply that by the number of people in reception entering the system. Nah, it probably doesn't really help much, but that's the reasoning and it's the system you're stuck with for now. It will end. This is not forever.

Quote:
--I know they can't receive packages through Union Supply while in Reception; are books and magazines also not allowed? What will happen to the book package I had sent to him if they don't?
I believe books and magazines are allowed, but... whatever he has with him when he moves to his home institution, he will have to carry. So if you send a bunch of stuff, he'll be lugging black plastic bags of stuff around with him all over the place. And some of those prisons have LONG walks from point A to point B.

Quote:
--No other services are available through my JPay account except sending money, and the customer service person said that he has to authorize people from his end for email for video. I'm guessing they don't have access to the JPay kiosks during Reception then? Will this change later in the process, or are we stuck with only phone calls and letters?
They may have access to the kiosks, but they don't have access to whichever electronic device plugs into the kiosk. And he has very limited time - standing in line is not an option. Yes, you're pretty much stuck with phone calls and letters for now. But you can send letters daily as if they were emails (which I did). And they will be like gold to him. This situation will change once he: 1. gets to his home institution; 2. goes through receiving where they'll set up his email and video visits (you must be an approved visitor to be able to do video visits - you should be able to find the visiting application online and fill it out yourself, this will speed the process up); and 3. Has had enough time for one round of commissary (roughly 2 weeks) so he can buy the electronics to use. Again, letters are gold.

Quote:
--If it takes at least a month to have visitation approved, is it possible that he will get his transfer assignment before I even get to see him?? If that happens, will my visitation approval work at a new facility, or will I have to go through the application process all over somewhere else?
You will most likely not see him - I believe, tho' am not certain, that they don't allow visitation to inmates while they're going through reception. Your visitation approval will work at any prison in the state - once you're approved, it's good at all the prisons he may end up at.

Quote:
Thanks, everyone. This not knowing/lack of contact in the beginning is AWFUL.
Yes, the not knowing part is awful. Because of the way things played out with my Dad, I had to wait 6 months before I could visit him (couldn't visit him in jail, had to wait until he was in his home prison). It was horrible. Just remember that this is not what it will be like forever. And remember that letters are one of the best things a guy can receive in prison - not as good as a pardon, but not far from it either.

Welcome to PTO. I'm sorry you need us, but am glad you found us.