Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > MEDICAL & HEALTH > General Health Care
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Health Care Prison Health Care.. Medical, medications and all that go with it related to health care in the prison system...

Old 09-29-2012, 12:16 PM
Donation Award 

Default Cancer survivor heading to prison

I am a recent cancer survivor, need to do regular check up and blood work every three months to monitor any recurrence. Can I get the medical service after I am in federal prison? I am going in next month. Please share your information. I suppose my medical situation is in the PSI report. Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-2012, 05:19 PM

Thanked 5,157 Times in 2,377 Posts

If the information is in the PRS, then wherever you go should know about it and should follow the routine. Expect delays initially. It takes a long time to get it situated largely due to a sea of paperwork. Any correspondence from your oncologist will be very helpful.
Old 09-29-2012, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanna View Post
I am a recent cancer survivor, need to do regular check up and blood work every three months to monitor any recurrence. Can I get the medical service after I am in federal prison? I am going in next month. Please share your information. I suppose my medical situation is in the PSI report. Thank you!
Hanna,
The medical care provider for the federal prison should get your medical records from the hospital or doctor who treated your cancer if you tell them about your condition. To get your records, they will ask you to sign an authorization for the treating doctor to release records to the prison medical provider. Then the prison medical provider will make an independent decision about how frequently blood work and monitoring need to occur. If they do not order appropriate blood work and monitoring, or if it doesn't happen, be persistent about trying to get it. Put requests for medical care in writing. Date them and keep copies. If you still can't get appropriate monitoring or other care, you should contact an attorney who handles claims for denial of essential medical care to prisoners.
- Ben
The Following User Says Thank You to PLC-Ben For This Useful Post:
Onedaycloser13 (10-07-2012)
Old 10-04-2012, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanna View Post
Hanna,

My son is a recent lymphoma survivor, classified minimum security in CA, but currently housed within a higher security section, ostensibly for the medical facility there. Federal prison will be different, of course, but I did one thing that's proved to be invaluable, as we fear he's now facing a recurrence.

Before he went into the state (CDCR) system I had him sign numerous copies of an authorization to release medical information and records form, leaving the section blank for the doctor or hospital. When I discovered the facilities used for his PET scan and needle aspiration, I immediately faxed copies of the release form and now have the summary reports and films of his procedures. I did the same with the outside oncologist he sees. Because my son has no way to coordinate his phone times with medical office hours, my being able to act as intermediary is crucial.

When the needle aspiration results were inconclusive, as they often are, I was able to push for an excisional biopsy through his oncologist. When I spoke to his oncologist several days ago, he believed the surgeon had done the biopsy, but I had just spoken to the surgeon's office and was able to inform his oncologist that it was yet to be scheduled.

When his oncologist needed the records from his first illness, they missed one surgeon and hospital, so I was able to ensure those requests were made and the records received in full.

CDCR has their own release of information form that my son did sign, but their medical information division is slow to receive updates. My having the ability to facilitate his care means that the attention he needs is not being delayed as much as it would be otherwise.

Hopefully whoever you choose to act as your agent never has to do any of this, but this ensures that you're prepared, just in case.

Take care!
The Following User Says Thank You to snowmom For This Useful Post:
Coolskate (10-22-2012)
Old 10-04-2012, 03:32 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 20,491 Times in 11,919 Posts

That's the main reason it is so significant when prison medical people refuse to cooperate with family members listed on HIPAA release authorizations even though they are required to do so by law. What snowmom was able to accomplish might (probably ?) never have been done without her prodding.

At least the CA system is under a microscope because of the federal court receiver, who has taken over CA prison medical care from the state, but the bop has no such incentive to do the right thing. There are no "second opinions" or appeals of faulty medical decisions in the federal prisons, so much of the care received totally depends on luck. The bop does have competent medical employees, the luck comes in when you are assigned to a caregiver. If you get one of the good ones, fine, but if you get one of the others you're screwed.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:23 AM

Make sure you have your med records with you. That way you dont have to worry about them being sent. Your HIPPA info is also in your records and your emergency contacts. Do not leave it up to anyone but yourself to get the files. This way you have a copy and the DOC has a copy and you should have any problems with lost paper work. Talk to your Doctor and make sure they know who can get your info. As long as you cover all the bases you will be fine. As long as you have a friend or family member that can contact your GP you will get the treatments need if any.
Good luck!